Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help!!! Gaining Weight & Don't Know Why

So over the last week I've gained a total of 6 lbs and I don't know why? I'm sticking to around 1000 cal. a day and I'm working out 3x a week. What can I possiblely be doing wrong here? I will say that over the past two months, since my last fill, I've lost 30 lbs. Well now 24 lbs. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks...

Dan

Are you drinking plenty of Water? If you don't drink enough, your body will retain any that it has.

It has to be Water. Most people literally can't eat enought "extra" to gain 6 pounds of FAT in under 7 days. If you are drinking enough Water check with your doc. Salty foods may be the culprit, you may need a diuretic.

And it seems counter-intuitive but for mild water retention, unless you have a kidney issue, drink more water to get rid of what you're retaining. It works.

Have you eased up on exercise? I've found that when I gain weight suddenly it's usually either a Water fluctuation like the pp's said, or it's because I stopped exercising as much. Once I start drinking more Water and get moving again, it usually comes off pretty quickly.

Good luck! Just keep your chin up and don't throw in the towel. This happens to everyone. Your progress so far is amazing! :)

Thanks everyone. I've doubled my Water intake so we'll see if that has any effect. My workout schedule is kind of all over. I get to go to the gym whenever my little one permits. : ) If you've ever had a two year old, you'll know what I mean. I'm trying for 3x a week.

I get to go to the gym whenever my little one permits. : ) If you've ever had a two year old, you'll know what I mean. I'm trying for 3x a week.

Oh, boy, do I know what you mean!!! Good luck! :bored:

What Restless Monkey said. The reality is that you have to eat 3,500 calories more than what it takes to maintain your current weight to gain a pound. That's 21,000 extra calories. You might have a little that's actually body weight, but I point a finger at Water retention.

Check with your doc about a cause for sudden Water retention. As obese individuals, we are more prone to heart conditions, etc.

hi dan,

do you journal your food? i find this helps me to know exactly what i'm eating. i sometimes forget to count the Snacks, etc

or....

also once during my journey i wasn't eating enough and my body stopped losing weight completely. it was trying to hold onto what i had.

these are the only 2 things i can think of...

good luck

josie

Have you had a blood pressure medication change recently? My doc just switched me to a med without HCTZ (it depletes potassium and I struggle with low potassium). Anyway, since Saturday I'm up 6.5 pounds. Yup - you read that right! The only "good" thing is I know I'm retaining Fluid due to my medication and that it isnt a true weight gain, but boy is it frustrating to see on the scale.

Obviously I have a call in to my doc to go back to my old medication and deal with low potassium as needed.

Just a thought -

What about sugar intake? My nutritionist says to not consume any food with more than 5-7 grams of sugar per serving (watch those sugar alcohols too). And absolutely no sugary drinks. Just my .02. :tongue2: