Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Flexible Spending Account question

I was self pay for my band, and took the money out of my savings for my surgery which was in Mexico. I also had my first filll in Mexico when I went back for port revision. But, from this point forward, I will be using Fill Center USA for my fills.

With my employer, I am enrolled in the IRS flexible spending account where I have tax free dollars deducted from my monthly pay for health care costs. Does anyone know if this can be used for fills? I am unable to find the answer in the IRS publications about flexible spending accounts and the website for my agency's provider has not been working for days. This inquiring mind would like to know.

You can use it for aspirin and bandaids, I would think you can use it for fills. Actually fillcenters may know; if they don't, the administrator of your FSA will know. :)

I think the answer to your question is yes.

From IRS.gov, Publication 502

Weight-Loss Program

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group as well as fees for attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

You cannot include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses because the diet food and beverages substitute for what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs. You can include the cost of special food in medical expenses only if:

1. The food does not satisfy normal nutritional needs,
  2. The food alleviates or treats an illness, and
  3. The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet.

I am able to deduct co-pays for visits for a fill. My insurance picks up the cost of a fill but I do have the physician co-pay.

I think the answer to your question is yes.

From IRS.gov, Publication 502

Weight-Loss Program

You can include in medical expenses amounts you pay to lose weight if it is a treatment for a specific disease diagnosed by a physician (such as obesity, hypertension, or heart disease). This includes fees you pay for membership in a weight reduction group as well as fees for attendance at periodic meetings. You cannot include membership dues in a gym, health club, or spa as medical expenses, but you can include separate fees charged there for weight loss activities.

You cannot include the cost of diet food or beverages in medical expenses because the diet food and beverages substitute for what is normally consumed to satisfy nutritional needs. You can include the cost of special food in medical expenses only if:

1. The food does not satisfy normal nutritional needs,
  2. The food alleviates or treats an illness, and
  3. The need for the food is substantiated by a physician.

The amount you can include in medical expenses is limited to the amount by which the cost of the special food exceeds the cost of a normal diet.

Yes, this is what I read last night. But, I can't see how it addresses maintenance of the band by fills. I feel like the flouroscopy should be covered, as it is a medical diagnostic procedure, for whatever reason it is conducted, but I'm not sure about the fill itself. I'm just going to ask Fill Center about it.

Anytime I've turned in a claim for my FSA, whether I did it with a paper claim or used my debit card, I have never had to give detailed information about the doctor's appointment, just provide a receipt from the doctor showing the amount I've paid. I'd bet you a cup of non-fat pumpkin spice latte that it will be covered by the FSA.

Melinco is spot on correct from my read of the rules as well. I believe you can use FSA for health clubs as well.

Anytime I've turned in a claim for my FSA, whether I did it with a paper claim or used my debit card, I have never had to give detailed information about the doctor's appointment, just provide a receipt from the doctor showing the amount I've paid. I'd bet you a cup of non-fat pumpkin spice latte that it will be covered by the FSA.

Non-fat pumpkin spice latte.....stop teasing me.... i LOVE those! :thumbup:

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere else on the threads... My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery (cheap employer!). I want to self-pay, but here's my question: will the lap band surgery costs be considered eligible FSA expenses? Who determines that? My employer? My insurance company? Or the IRS?

Thanks in advance for any advise you can provide me with...

P.S. I have already sent an email to my insurance company about this--awaiting a response.

I know this is an old thread, but I couldn't find the answer to this question anywhere else on the threads... My insurance does not cover bariatric surgery (cheap employer!). I want to self-pay, but here's my question: will the lap band surgery costs be considered eligible FSA expenses? Who determines that? My employer? My insurance company? Or the IRS?

P.S. I have already sent an email to my insurance company about this--awaiting a response.

I pay for fills with my FSA. It also covers health club if it is a medically prescribed program for your doctor

Hi,

I was also self pay because my insurance would not cover it. I used my FSA to cover the expenses. Good luck :)

Hey that's awesome, guys... I have my first pre-op appt on Wednesday. My company's new FSA year will kick in on July 1, so I think I'll just schedule it for beginning of July to take advantage of the 3-day weekend also--to stay home and lose weight. :)

Seems like if the appointment involves a doctor you should be able to use your FSA. I used mine for fills and never even bothered to look it up. At the end of the year I get a statement to give to my accountant showing how much of my FSA was 'distributed' but it doesn't show where I spent the money or on what.