Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared to death

My surgery is getting closer and I am still scared. I am reading about a pre op diet but my doc never mentioned that to me also he said that I could take my pills but am learning from this site that you have to crush them. I would have just swallowed them whole. It seems I am learning more from this site than my doctor. I feel really unprepared. I asked if I could have a dietician consult before the surgery and he said no I would have that after the surgery in the hopital. I would like to know what I could have after surgery so I am prepared and it is already in the house when I get home. Also I read all the after surgery posts and am reading about this propblem and that problem which scares me even more. I know I have to get it done, but my mind keeps saying just back out you can do this on your own. Well I have tried and know I cant I am a single mom and want to live to raise my daughter and know I need to do this. Can I get some assurance ,comfort anything so I do not chicken out HELP.

Edited by Suz1
spell check

Hi Suz,

I am banded a little over 3 months, and my only regret is that I didn't do it sooner. I would be concerned if I didn't get proper answers to my questions. Have you looked into other hospitals in the area. It can't hurt, and it can certainly help put your mind at ease.

Good luck!

was so easy the surgery,i never crushed any pills.fills was easy,and i didnt have a pre surgery diet and all went great@@@@

Suz,

Relax. Every doctor is different. However, do not forget that you are the one paying the bill. If I were you, I would insist on a nutrition consult before the surgery. There are definite rules that you need to be aware of before you have your surgery, especially for the first few weeks after surgery.

Regarding the pills, you may have problems with many pills after surgery until the swelling goes down. I did invest in chewable, or powdered versions, or capsules that I could bust open and pour in my Protein shakes. Once the initial swelling goes down, you might be able to swallow your pills. Rule of thumb is that if it won't fit in through a drinking straw, the pill is too big.

I share your fear. I'm my docs first case tomorrow morning and keep having moments of utter terror. I went and got a massage this afternoon to relax me and take my mind off of it. I'm spending the rest of the day cleaning my house, doing laundry, and making preparations for when I get home. Find something to take your mind off of stuff. I can relate.

suz I haven't been banded yet but I know how you feel I've gotten a lot of info from this site and like someone said earlier every doc is diffrent. My docs don't require a psych eval or preop diet some people have 12 steps some have 16, if you have more questions let your doc know they're usually happy to comply... Be confident that you've made a good choice.

Hi!

Not everyone has a pre-surgery diet -- it depends on your surgeon and your BMI. My consultation was 8 days before my surgery date, and I was told to eat low fat/high Protein before the surgery. Others, who go to the same surgeon, had to be on a much more restrictive diet.

Also, I have had 2 fills (and will have my 3rd tomorrow). So far, I have had NO problems, and I don't have to crush my pills. Now this may change after my 3rd fill, but who knows?

Good luck with your surgery! I am so glad I did it!

Hey Suz, don't even trip - this is a piece of cake - I'm getting banded tomorrow morning - gotta be at the hospital at 6:30 am. I have met tons of people that are already banded and theres nothing to it. every doctor or hospital has their own requirements. I belong to kaiser - we have to lose 10% of our weight first to shrink the liver, we can only have Clear Liquids after 6pm the night before and nothing after midnight - we can only have clear liquids 2 days after surgery, then full liquids for two weeks then mushy food for another two weeks then we are good to go. My doctor said to resume any and all medications the day after surgery and there's no crushing required. this is a really easy in and out procedure and you'll do great. the best advise you can get it to walk, walk, walk right after surgery to help get rid of all the fluids and gas they pump you up with.

I don't know if this helps but I had surgery 3 days ago and have had basically no issues. The operation took maybe 1 hour and recovery has been really fast. I also only regret not having done this sooner.

The decision to have a band put in is a very personal one and you need to be the one to make it. For me it has already reduced my insulin requirements to almost nothing and as a result may have saved my life. I encourage you to make the decision that you need to make with as much information as you can. Clearly you are a courageous person to look at banding, but also wise enough to know that you need support. Hopefully you will find the support you need here as well as through those close to you.

All I can say is that the process has already changed my life as I can see that my diabetes may go away altogether and only 3 days after surgery I can still go for walks with my wife. I haven't had to crush pills, plus I've found liquid alternatives to some that I took before so it became no issue.

All the best.