Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Miss my band

I feel bad for everyone who wants to get rid of their band. I had problems with acid reflux and the band slipped - when they tried to fix it, I ended up having a reaction and they had to remove it. I miss my band. I liked having control over my eating. I liked the fact that food did not control my life. I am 50 days out of surgery and have gained 25 pounds. I really don't think I am eating more than when I had the band but the weight keeps coming on.

I continue to exercise 60-90 minutes a day. I measure my food. I track my diet and exercise. But it just doesn't seem to work.

And this weight gain is real. I can hardly sit in pants that I could take off without unzipping 2 months ago. Sorry to complain but I am hoping someone who has lost their band will have some tips for me. And living in Baghdad doesn't give me alot of people to whine to...

I lost my band on August 28th. I am still very sad about it but I went back into see my doctor and told him that gaining the weight back is not an option and that I would do ANYTHING to keep it off!!! I gained 5 lbs the first week after and I totally flipped out because I hadn't hardly eaten anything for the first three days and than just ate normal the last four days of that week. Well we came up with a plan, I dont qualify for the bypass because my BMI is too low because of the weight I lost so I am now taking Adipex and Xenical. It has only been a few days but I have taken the extra 5 lbs off and hope to loose alot more. Hopefully I will get to my goal weight and when I get there hopefully I will figure out a way to stay there!

Me, too. I was banded 7/07 and was doing great. Had lost 80 lbs and was still losing...then I got pregnant. Had my band unfilled, then starting puking like crazy thanks to the prenatal Vitamins. Band slipped and I had it removed. I loved my band...it worked well for me. I want it back, butttt...now, I work for a new company and our insurance doesn't cover WLS. :mad2:(

Great. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

Me, too. I was banded 7/07 and was doing great. Had lost 80 lbs and was still losing...then I got pregnant. Had my band unfilled, then starting puking like crazy thanks to the prenatal Vitamins. Band slipped and I had it removed. I loved my band...it worked well for me. I want it back, butttt...now, I work for a new company and our insurance doesn't cover WLS. :)(

Great. So, I don't know what I'm gonna do now.

Hi I don't want to sound stupid or anything, but have you thought about self pay? I took out a bank personal loan for the full amount and have to pay back at only 3%. . .if you have good credit and such this may be the way to go. . . just a thought:rolleyes2:

I self-paid for my band and it has been a great tool for my weight loss. But, if you had the band and lost it, I don't think many doctors out there are advising a replacement of a new band. re-slippage rates for those who are rebanded are ridiculously high. And the sleeve is another option, but there are not a lot of doctors who are doing them in the US with good self pay prices and stats, which means traveling abroad. And some people like that idea, and some not so much. And the credit markets are VERY tight right now, so people who got financed a year ago, with very good credit are having a hard time getting financing now, even with stellar credit. OR, the terms they are offered are less than stellar. My husband and I have said if I ever lose my band, I will immediately revise to something else, but in today's credit market, its not as easy as it used to be.

I self-paid for my band and it has been a great tool for my weight loss. But, if you had the band and lost it, I don't think many doctors out there are advising a replacement of a new band. re-slippage rates for those who are rebanded are ridiculously high. And the sleeve is another option, but there are not a lot of doctors who are doing them in the US with good self pay prices and stats, which means traveling abroad. And some people like that idea, and some not so much. And the credit markets are VERY tight right now, so people who got financed a year ago, with very good credit are having a hard time getting financing now, even with stellar credit. OR, the terms they are offered are less than stellar. My husband and I have said if I ever lose my band, I will immediately revise to something else, but in today's credit market, its not as easy as it used to be.

Wow! I didn't know that. . about having a hard time replacing the band. . . that blows my mind. . . did you have complications with your band? I'm so sorry that happened to you. . . or do you still have yours? I'm so silly in the mornings? :)

I was self-pay with my band. And insurance is not covering all the costs of the surgery to put it back into place nor the surgery to remove it. I have put more into the surgeries than my first house cost me! I will look at the sleeve. My surgeon said he had just started them and was happy with the results.

Thankfully, I am working in Iraq and don't have alot of opportunities to spend so I can save for a sleeve :). If anyone has good ideas that they used to maintain their weight post band loss, please share.

I'm so sorry for you! I think I truly understand.

I know people say "food was my friend" Well, I NEVER thought of food as my friend. If pressed I'd have to say I felt it was a harsh cruel taskmaster who kept me on a short leash.

My FRIEND is the band! It keeps the taskmaster, the "boss", the mean control freak, at bay. My band gives ME control of my eating. If I lost it, if it had to be removed, I would mourn it almost like a lost loved one. It would devastate me. I can also imagine that others around me, while supportive, wouldn't understand my grief.

So I feel for you. I'm sorry!

Restless Monkey - thank you. You get it entirely. And I just needed one person to comprehend what I feel. I will continue to struggle and hopefully keep the wait off but now will get on with my mourning. Thanks.

Jennibells- Just curious if you have had any side effects from taking the Adipex. I took it for a while, 3 months on it, 3 months off it...and it was horrible for me! I could NEVER sleep more than 4 hours at a time, my heart felt like it was going to beat out of my chest, and I couldn't sit still not for 5 minutes! I did lose weight on it, but in the end I couldn't live with the side effects :biggrin:

I take it very early in the morning 5am, and I have no problem going to sleep at night. I feel like I cant sit still but that is a good thing for me, I am very productive lately. I did get headaches the first day or two but not anymore. I am doing really well, walking 1-2 hours a day, eating 3 small meals and I have lost 6 lbs in the last week and a half.