Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi, im 16, and am thinking about the Band, and I was wondering some things like,

1.) How long it took to go back to school.

2.) Heavy lifting? (okay or not)

3.) Personal Experiences with the Band. (pros and cons)

Please, and Thank you.

I very much appriciate help. =.]

hey (: I'm Erin

1. Well I got banded over the summer, but I think you could go back in 3 days or a week, or when you feel you can go

2. Heavy lifting not okay till 6 weeks post op, you should ask the surgeron about that too

3. You wouldn't want to know mine but I had nausea the first week, got bad had to go to the ER once, got better nausea meds felt good for two weeks started to get sick again, lasted for two and a half weeks actually started to get better when I started to go back to school, I still get nauseated mainly in the morning but other than that I'm feeling better and I'm starting to feel like myself, I'm 6 weeks post op and I just want you to know, everyone is different with their experience, yours may be awesome. You have to relax, rest, and let yourself have time to heal and you'll do great (: don't let things scare you cause I did and it's not good to do that

I'm 18 and a senior in high school, I started this process at 17 back in June last year. I wanted to start it at 16 but my insurence required me to be 18 in order to get it done

I'm hoping that by the end of the school year I'll be close to goal

But anyways go to seminars, keep searching this site, get yourself educated on this surgery

And good luck (:

Erin-

Thank you for your reply. =.]

Im a jounior this year and hopeing it won't take too long.

My gym class is all lifting form 30-150 pounds, and what ever you get to, you can't go down, thats why I was asking.

Im kinda used to nausea, my medication usualy makes me nauseated in the morning, so its no big deal.

That sucks about your insurance, but im hopeing mines better cause, my doctor says they should because he says in in much need.

I hope you reach your goal in time. =.]

Ive been on this site and its helped me, im really glad I found it. =.]

Thank you again.

no problem (:

Ohh you'll probably need a note, I think you can't lift anymore than 30 pounds till 6 weeks, I'd still ask your dr.

I'm starting to feel sick right now, I think I have a cold, my dr said that some people have nausea for a couple months, the weird thing is, is that I never had nausea as this much in my life, it blows anyways yeah your insurence might be different, same as you my insurence covered it cause I was 100 pounds overweight

I hope I reach my goal too thanks (:

That's good, I'm glad I found this website too, it is very helpfull

Did you start school already?

You need to do light lifting till your dr can give you the ok to lift more

I didn't lift anything heavy really the first week cause I felt so nauseated so I basically tried to sleep oor relaxed in the recliner but second week all I can remember lifting is my cat, I can't remember lifting anything else lol

Well I wish you luck

And no problem (:

I thought I would need a note, because my school pushes you to lift atleast 50 pounds.

Im sorry about your cold, that sucks. =./ I think I read somewhere on the site that being sick can cause slippage? .. but I think thats only with vomiting. xD I could be wrong. xD

Yeah I started School on the 9th, & I can't really miss any days because of my Culinary Arts class, so im hopeing to do it on a vacation weekend, with a four days to a week off.

Lol.

Then probably the heavyest thing Id lift is my puppy. =.]

yeah you'll need a note (:

It's ok I'm not even sure it's a cold cause I feel better ish lol yeah it'll slip if you vomit a lot but I'm pretty sure it won't slip if you have a cold

Oh sweet, I started school on the 8th, awesome, I was going to take cosmetology this year but I felt like I couldn't handle it right now like I feel like I was gonna miss a lot, and it's a two year course which we need 500 hours each year soo I decided to get an early dismissal in case I feel sick I won't have to worry about missing cosmetology and take cosmetology next year good enough for me (: my friend did culinary arts when she was in high school and now she's doing it in college

That sounds like a good idea, I would deff try to get it on a vacation day

Haha awh I want a puppy =D

Im pretty okay with that thought. =.]

Oh, well I hope you feel better anyway, even if its a little caouple hour deal lol.

Oh well im hopeing that I will be okay cause I can't miss any time in culinary, so... xD Thats cool, I hope your friend likes what their doing.

Its not really my collage choice but more to open a door of opportunities, just incase I don't like doing what I choose in collage I always have some kind of fall back(s).

Hopefully, im hopeing so badly, and im really excited and anxious to start my journy, and finally help myself towards being healthy.

Lol, I have 4. =.] I <3 puppys.

I like cats too, but I find them more of individual animals, puppys want love lol.

okay so it didnt go away that day ahh and i still feel sick, i dont know if i said this but i missed school 3 days this week. monday i went to the dr and found out i had a bad bladder infection, so she gave me some antibiotics for that and it made me feel worse than i did. tuesday i felt okay ish in the morning but i stayed home just in case, and good thing i did cause when i woke up i felt so sick to my stomach. i kinda feel better but when i eat my stomach feels icky, this morning was horrible though, i still feel like i gotta vomit. i saw my surgeron today, and he doesnt know whats causing it, he prescribed me prilosec, if it doesnt work, i'm most likely going to get my band out, cause i deffinately cant live like this (everybody is different, and i dont mean to scare you if i am) if i do end up getting it out, i'm going to pretend i still have it in and follow the rules still. i'm pretty sure you'll do fine, have you ever had surgery before? dont worry about what i said, things happen, everyone is different, everyone tolorates things differently and i guess i just have a weaker stomach..but i want it out lol. my friend likes it (: im excited for you, im happy i got mine started, but i just cant stand the nausea and upset stomach all the time, so ive been talking to my mom about getting it taken out if i dont feel better by september 30th (i see my dr this day and im gonna talk to him about it if it doesnt go away) ahhhh

awh i really want a puppy, but since we have some many kitties my mom wont get a puppy, 5 of my cats were born on my book shelf lol i want a puppy so bad though, sometimes i wish they were puppies lol

Oh wow, that really sucks, but if your haveing that much trouble maybe it is a good thing you get it out, and yeah following the rules would be good too, it might be a little harder though. & your not scaring me, I like that you told me this. It gives me knowlage on things that could or could not happen, and my 2 cousins got it done and they said it was very good, so its good to hear the good and bad sides. But I hope you feel better, and who knows maybe by the 30th you will be feeling great. =.] I hope I do good, im a little nervous cause, no, ive never had surgery before. =./ But also im ready to get the tools to better my health.

Awe lol. You know some dogs do really well with kittens and cats, if they start out as puppys and you get a small one, cause if they grow up around them, then they think of them as a family member. (If that makes any since at all lol.) But maybe sometime in the future you can get a pup, whats your favorite kind of puppys?

i know right, i was thinking, maybe the band isnt made for me ya know? ive wanted it out since aug 7th lol it just sucks, if im going to be sick all the time with it, whats the point ya know? some people say "just tough it out" or "hang in there, you're doing fine!" its soooo hard >.< id just rather have it out and feel great, i bet my stomach would be happy haha. yeah hopefully id feel better by then, im sorry for saying this so much but i rather have it out so i wont have to expierence a PB or sliming, ah i dont know why i made this decission, its a good long decission to make, i guess i never planned on having nausea and everything else im having, i planned on having a happy life once i got banded, the main thing i knew i was gonna have was gas pains, and i barely had them.

well thats good im not scaring you (: i was nervous too, it was my first major surgery, but its really nothing to worry about, it felt like i was in and out, the only thing i can remember is i was in the operating room and thats all i remember. im pretty sure you'll do just fine (:

lol yeah it makes sense, i remember one year for christmas, i was 8 and i got a puppy, i miss him, but i always get them small, i like watching them grow (: maybe, i'll just go out one day and come home with a puppy lol my fav kinds are, dobermans, german shepherds, huskies, black and chocolate labs (:

and i just saw that you live in new york, me too (:

Yeah, they said it really isn't for everyone, and I guess they have many bands but idk if they are the same or all kinda different. I bet it was very difficult to make it this long feeling the way you do. Your pretty strong, I probably would have been like, get it out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! on the 7th lol. PBing and slimeing, dont sound so fun. xD But maybe it is better you get it out, I know being healthy is a good thing, but you cant force your self to try when you feel icky all the time. I am very sorry your band isnt working out though. =.( I hope you do better soon, or if you get it out.

Thanks, that makes me feel good about the going under thing. I know I will be nervous anyway, but I will just keep telling myself, its gonna be great and I will be fine, and its normal many people have done it, and stuff. xD

I hope that works lol.

Awe. =.] I got my frist puppy at 12, she was a palmeranian, I love akeitas (sp?) huskys, toy poodles, mini doxins, and I love mini palmeranians cause they look like baby wolves or foxes. =.]

Cool. Im from up state New York.

I feel like I'm always the odd ball lol. I know there's a band called realize band, some bands are smaller which you get less fills and some bands are bigger and you get more fills if you need them. Yes it was very difficult but I thought it would get better if I touched it out a little longer, and it's been way too long lol I wish I could have taken it out then I told him I wanted it out but he said that since I could keep Water down he said to hang in there, I guess it was too early to get it out, I guess you got to wait 5 weeks before you get it out heh I I'm 7 weeks starting tomorrow holy cow so I've been sick almost for a month that will be on Monday oh my god lol that sucks. Pbing isn't fun sliming either lol, have you read about that yet? I know, I'm very happy with my weight loss so far, but I think it's cause I haven't been able to really eat anything. It's weird cause I was hungry earlier and nauseated at the same time and I didn't eat anything cause just the sound of food makes me wanna vomit lol not good at all. I want to be healthy and happy but being icky doesn't help ): boo stupid icky-ness. Thanks but it's ohkay (: me too

Welcome, people did the same to me too and I was still nervous but not as much, they give you stuff to relax you, so that's good (: yeah I think it's normal to be nervous, I'm sure everyone is, but for me it was better when they did the IV and gave me stuff to relax me, the put a nausea patch on(which I didn't think helped at all) the other stuff they gave me for nausea (I didn't have nausea till like midnight and I was banded at 7am and out around I don't even remember god that's sad lol

Me too lol

Awh :thumbup: palmeranians are cute, I don't think I've ever seen a mini one (: they're cute lap dogs oh I also forgot to say I like minitire pinschers too and I think it'll be awesome to have a husky that looks like a wolf, wolves are so pretty :smile2:

I am too haha awesome, are you close to the Adirondack Mountains?

Lol, i tend to be odd too. And my body has always acted weird to things so im hopeing nothing goes too wrong for me. Oh, I heard there are different types but I didn't know if they could change anything, or were even really all that different. I guess there not really lol. Wow that really is way too long to be sick. =.( I think ive read about PBing and Slimeing, but I wasn't sue. Im not really sure what they are other then not good, painful, and kinda like vomit? Yeah, Ive read other people lost weight that way too, and had to get an unfill... I think. xD It really sucks that you feel so Icky, when your trying to get healthy. =./ I wish you were doing better. You seem like a really nice person, and you diserve to be feeling better.

=.] that seems nerve calming. I hope I do okay, and don't freak out at the last minute. xD Thats kinda why im nervous. Too many horror hospital movies i guess. xD lol.

My cousin actualy had 2 wolves he saved. He was told they were dogs, but they were actualy Wolves. They were very abused. I was really little when he had them but I remeber them being really cute and soft lol. =.]

I would love to have one like, half wolf and half husky or something. Or even a husky that lookes like one, I love their pretty blue eyes. =.]

Hey! I got banded when I was 16! I'm 19 now

1. I was on break but It took me a while to get back to normal. I'd say about a week

2. I remember my doctor gave me a certain time frame where I could start exercising, I think it was 4 weeks after my surgery I could start whatever type of exercise

3. My experience has been nothing but amazing. This completely changed my life and I couldn't be happier. Not gonna lie I really miss soda though...lol