Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I was banded 3 1/2 weeks ago and lost 12 lbs pre-op and 10 more in the first 2 weeks after surgery. Once I started mushies, I stopped loosing. I am eating about 1000 calories a day, 50-60 grams of Protein, and walking everyday. I know I don't have restriction yet since I haven't had my first fill, but I'm still eating way fewer calories. How can I get my weight loss started again? I don't want to fail at the band after all the money and pain I've put into it already.

I have done about the same as you. I quit losing 2 or 3 weeks after surgery. I just got my first fill and can feel more restriction so I am hoping this will start the weight loss again. I think our body just has to get used to the weight loss so far. I am hoping and praying the fill will be the answer. How long do you have to wait to get a fill?

I have to wait until Oct.1st. It seems like forever away.

Pretty much everyone quits losing during this time period. 1. your body is adjusting from being on a liquid diet to going back to eating regular food. 2. you are in bandster hell which is the time period between getting banded and getting decent restriction.

Don't get discourged! Just stick to a good healthy diet in the meantime you will start to lose again.

Yeah I have been there too. Stopped losing about the same time. Had surgery on July 27th and my first fill was Tuesday,Sept 8th. My surgeon is conservative with the amount of saline he puts in each fill, so he told me not to really expect much restriction until the 3rd or 4th fill.

That is fine with me.

I lost 27 lbs so far, before I entered "bandster hell", but have not gained any!!!!! That in itself is an accomplishment for me!! I feel that the time has been well spent just healing.

Good luck to us all!

You're in Banster's Hell period....its not the time for losing its for healing...the surgery/weight loss is such a process before you start dropping weight consistantly...hang in there

I stopped losing when I started the mushies as well. I havent had a fill yet but I am noticing that as I continue to be vigilant about what I eat, the scale is wobbling downward again!

I thought it was just me! I felt like a failure. I am actually glad I haven't started gaining weight b/c I am not exercising which is my fault. I can't wait to start running and get my 1st fill.

Hey, ladies---your body is healing. You won't lose right now, or at least you shouldn't really be doing much at this point. The first 6 weeks or so (according to MY surgeon) is for healing. You are unlikely to lose substantial weight until the 3rd or 4th fill, depending on the size of your band. (For most of us, that's about 3+ months out....) Don't get discouraged. Until your band truly provides restriction, you're simply dieting. Diets didn't work for us or you wouldn't have gone this route. Stay on it. I was banded in Dec. of 2007. I didn't lose any substantial weight until nearly March. I only lost about 55-60 pounds in my first year, but am now down 115 pounds. Not everyone will lose at the same rate, but follow the directions given by your surgeon. Your surgeon and nutritionist will be your greatest supports at this time. Keep in touch and follow the dietary suggestions they've made. Take measurements. You may not notice the difference on the scale, but you will notice a change in measurements.....Stick with this! You will make it through!!!! Follow those guidelines of sticking to Protein first, followed by veggies, and limit the starches. (When you're on solids!) Be sure you get enough Water. sleep. Move as much as you're able. This won't happen over night, but in the end, it will work if you keep with it. Don't give up, ladies! We've all been there, and you WILL make it through this frustrating time! :laugh:

OH---AND MOST IMPORTANTLY----STEP AWAY FROM THE SCALE!!! You WILL drive yourselves crazy if you keep on and off of it all day long. I never realized how obsessed I was until my now ex reported he SAW me on it 12+ times in one day. (And that was only the non-working hours....) It won't change much. Once a week is best. On and off the scale all day long will only add to your frustration!

Edited by notateechanow

Be patient. No one got this way overnight and it won't be fixed overnight. I was banded back in Aug of 08 and lost 40 pounds pretty quick (over a few months) but then hit a plateau for about 6 months and I am still struggling with this plateau. As the fills continued and my exercise ramped up to include some time on a stationary bike, I began to lose again. Right now I am down about 52 pounds and still working at it. Hang in there. ( I was stalled in the process early on by a post surgical infection which set me back a few months with the complications necessitating another surgery to reinsert the port which was removed due to the infection)

Thanks so much for these responses. I was banded July 27th of this year and I haven't lost anything for 3 weeks. I am dieting like was said on here. I've had the 1st fill but it's not nearly enough. I don't feel the restriction at all and am struggling to stay within the food guidelines right now. I'm so relieved to hear that I'm in Bandster Hell right now and need to be patient. I sure needed to hear that!

I read that a lot of people hit a spot where they are not loosing weight. There is a lot of things that play factor in not loosing weight. I was banded on 8/28/2009 and have lost 17 pounds since then. I was on a liquid and soft food diet for two weeks and am just now allowed to eat fish, chicken, and turkey.

I would like to share my diet and how I lost 50 pounds pre op. I know that it is not easy to loose weight at all! I follow a very strict 10 carb a day diet (Whole Carb). I do not eat bread, Pasta, rice, and I am very selective on what I eat in the day. I started out at 447 pounds and it was not easy to loose the pre op weight. I drink diet tea, Water, and go to the gym walking 1 mile a day and other workouts. I drink 50 - 70 grams of Protein a day as well.

It is all in the diet with this tool that we have. I hope no one takes this as I am a little person and being a smart butt because I am not. If you do not follow a strict diet you are not going to loose weight. The reason that I truly believe this is because I have a friend that had this done, loosing a lot of weight. He stopped doing what he was to be doing and gained a lot back, even with the Lapband. I told myself that this would not happen to me.

I'm right there with you, I've had two fills and can still eat pretty much anything, just a lot less than before. I think our bodies go into starvation mode when we are on the pre op diet and it takes a while to get it to rev up again.

Here's hoping it gets revved up soon!

Thank you for all of the replies. It's good to know it's not just me. I get to start back exercising at the gym tomorrow (I had to wait 4 weeks post op according to my doctor). I'm hoping that this will give my metabolism a boost. I will also get to start eating solid food and plan on a mostly chicken, fish, and veggie diet.