Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Very dizzy, low energy on pre op diet

Hello,

Well I am only a few days into my pre op diet and I feel like (pardon the French) CRAP :w00t:. Weak, lazy, tired, no energy at all. I have to be on this crazy diet for 3 weeks, how did you guys make it? I can oly have 3 shakes a day, a yogurt, popsicles, Water, and one cottage cheese. I feel like I am going to pass out most of the day. I had the runs all night last night :blushing: and just cant kick this bla feeling. Does it get better? :lol:

Some say it does but for me it hasnt Im on day 18 of my 21 day pre op and I feel run down and tired and I have to get up slowly so I dont get light headed. I understand why I have to be on this diet because I need to lose 250 lbs or so. But 3 weeks for you is crazy. Does your doc do this to all patients?

How much Protein do your shakes contain? I made mine so they had 35g of protein, so I was getting over 100g a day. Seemed to work for me, except I was hungry.

I have a few different sakes, one has 25g one has 35g and one has 40g. They say we should have 60 to 80g a day and no more than 1000 cal a day. I guess I am not consuming enough? I get the Protein in but only about 500 calories. But there is nothing else on my list to eat but dairy. I told them I was lactose intolerant but they say there are NO substitutions. OH and now my son who is 4 is wondering why Mommy and Daddy don't eat dinner with him anymore I was so sad ... and yes I cook him Breakfast lunch and dinner AND Snacks. I am a stay at home Mom...this is HELL!

Edited by Soexcited

Here is what I get...............

Below are nutritional guidelines for the pre-op liquid diet. Depending on which items you choose to consume throughout the day, your intake should be ~1000 calories and 60-80 grams of Protein per day.

The nutritional guidelines are as follows:

Consume these liquids in moderation; they contain larger amounts of sugar.

1. ?name=d33be9805ff33117.jpg&attid=0.1&disp=vahi&view=att&th=1235decbbdd01717 Juice, Gatorade®/G2®, Vitamin Water®, Life Water® or Powerade® – limit to 2 cups (16 oz) or less each day. (Try to choose juices lower in sugar such as apple, orange, or grapefruit).

1. Regular Jell-O, popsicles, or no sugar added fudgesicles-3 or less servings each day

1. 1 cup (8 oz) of milk (skim, 1%, Lactaid®, or 2%) or 6 oz. Light Yogurt (no more than 110 calories), ½ sugar free Jell-O pudding or ½ cup low-fat cottage cheese - 3 or less each day.

1. ?name=d33be9805ff33117.jpg&attid=0.1&disp=vahi&view=att&th=1235decbbdd01717 EAS 100% whey Protein (Walmart) or Muscle Milk Light (Rite Aid) or Pure Protein shakes (Trader Joe’s) or Premier Protein (Costco) or No Added Sugar Carnation Instant Breakfast (Target) – limit to 2 a day. Do NOT BUY: Slim Fast, Ensure, Boost- these drinks are high in calories, fat and sugar. If you chose another brand of Protein Shakes, make sure it has less than or equal to 160 calories, less than or equal to 6 grams of fat, 15 grams or more of protein and less than or equal to 6 grams of sugar.

These liquids can be taken in any amount since they do not contain sugar.

1. Sugar-free beverages such as Crystal Light, Wyler’s Light, sugar-free Kool Aid or sugar-free Tang, diet Snapple, diet sodas (remember you can only have carbonation before surgery, not after), Fruit2O®, Propel®, coffee or tea with sugar substitute, or Water.
  2. Broth Soups (chicken, beef, vegetable, miso)- Tomato Soup is not a broth Soup. It needs to be a clear liquid and can NOT contain bits and pieces of meats, tofu, noodles or vegetables.
  3. Sugar-free popsicles and sugar-free Jell-O

Can you at least substitute soy milk in for the dairy? And no veggies?

I didnt, I was passing out by day 3 and extremely weak (and addled mentally too) by day 5. My doctor told me to stop doing it, given I had a BMI of 35 and had recently had a liver ultrasound and blood tests due to my very thorough GP sending me for a barrage of tests (saved the surgeon having to do it). So I knew I didnt have a particularly fatty or enlarged liver and all liver enzymes etc normal.

Given that, he said there was no real need for it. I wouldnt have coped, it made me really ill. I would not have had the willpower to stick to it, feeling like that. I was even having trouble talking, the words were on the tip of my tongue but wouldnt come to me.

I am on day 2 of the pre-op diet. My doctor has me doing the Sugar Busters. I'm definitely getting enough to eat....I am TIRED beyond belief though and have had a headache for two days. My surgery is October 5th.

Yeah I'm on pretty much a sugar busters thing too, for 2 weeks. I am not restricted to liquids or shakes, I just can't have more than 30 grams of carbs a day and no fried foods. Don't get me wrong, I'm grateful I can eat food, but I'm starving and weak. I don't know how people do Atkins or Sugar Busters long term, maybe it gets better the longer you do it?

I felt awful for about 3 days. Day 4 I started to feel better and by the end of 2 weeks I lost 16 pounds. I did have 1/2 of a red robin burger and fries. A girl at work brought in 2 dozen fresh Krispy Cream Doughnuts 3 out of the last 4 days and I am proud to say I din't touch them. Just try to make it through the first 4 days. Good luck