Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Worried about how to chew....

I have my surgery on Sept 23rd and I am really worried about chewing after surgery...

I am a fast eater and don't chew well

I know I will be on soft food for about 2 or more weeks, but I have been trying to chew my food really well as practice and I can't seem to get it right...I still feel like I have larger pieces that I am swallowing

Help...any tips??

Eating slowly is extremely important. Let's just say your body will let you know when you're eating too fast. You'll feel that lump in your gut or in the base of your throat that feels like if you take another bite - you'll be seeing it again.

Try and cut your solid food in very small pieces and eat slowly - or take a little less than normal bite and chew well and swallow only a little at a time. The latter seems to work for me better.

It took some getting used to but it really does come with practice. Believe me, when you get restriction and try to eat too fast or take too big of bite - you'll know it! You just really have to listen to your body and what it is telling you and you'll be fine. I know if I am in a hurry and try to eat it just doesn't work. My #1 suggestion - work on eating slowly and chewing well...put your fork down between bites, wait until the food feels like it hits your stomach and doesn't feel like a ball in there before taking another bite. It's a learning process but very do-able.

I agree with everything emjay said. I just got my first fill Tuesday and I am in the learning process of how to eat. It is painful to eat too fast so it forces you to slow down.

thanks...I guess I will just keep trying and practicing!!

Were either of you fast eaters before?

Thanks

For MONTHS before my surgery, I was trying to eat as I would eat after. I swear, it was way harder than it should have been. I would intend to do small bites, chew well, and then my appetite would drive me to take bigger bites and eat too fast. At the end of the meal, I'd be all "Dammit, I forgot to do it right again." LOL

After the surgery, because of the surgery, it wasn't as hard. I remember it all the time. When I don't, I regret it and that helps to reinforce doing it right the next time.

You will have negative bio-feedback after the surgery that will help reinforce this habit. That's part of the glory of this procedure, in my opinion (and other weight loss surgeries, too).

I bet you'll do fine!

I agree with LindaD. Either you'll learn to slow down and chew well, or you'll be in pain a lot, or you'll turn to slider foods only and not lose. For most of us, it just takes putting your hand on the hot stove once to learn that we need to CHEW and take small bites! If you're like me, it takes more than once (LOL) but you do learn.

It is hard and I watch people eating now that I am aware of it and most people take way big bites and swallow before it's all chewed. It makes me nervous but I have been trying to practice too and forget after like 3 bites. :thumbup:

I did buy a set of appetizer forks and spoons. They are small and cute. I just wasn't down with eating with my daughters Dora, Princess or Thomas utensils. LOL So, I am gonna start practicing with them, hoping the little fork will be a good reminder. Just a suggestion. :frown:

Boo

Just another suggestion; I don't want to be "different" (like using special utensils etc) because I've been different (fat) for far too long. If buying special equipment doesn't appeal, this is what I do. I cut a normal "bite" and then half it and it works for me. :thumbup:

If it's something that doesn't need to be cut, get your normal "bite" and then put 1/2 back before you take the bite of food. Works like a charm for me! :frown:

I also bought cocktail forks and espresso spoons that I have been using regularly. I read this before on another thread and I have really found them to be useful in keeping my bites in check.

World Market and Target both carry them, and they are cute... better than getting baby silverware, in my opinion!

I think after the band you definitely just "think" about things more. Especially because you progress so slowly from liquids to soft foods. I am 2 weeks post op and on soft foods and I have found myself to be very cautious automatically.

Good luck.. you will do fine!!

I would NEVER use the little utensils out in public. LMAO Just at home when I'm trying to get used to things. I would be so embarrased. :thumbup: I also just meant for the beginning when your trying to get used to it.

I hope within a month or two I can gauge and cut my bites appropriately.

You will get used to eat quite quickly like everyone said and it will be habit. It's amazing how quickly it goes away with a total unfill which I now have!!

Hi,

I have been practicing taking smaller bites and chewing each bite at least 30 times (per my nut's instructions). What really helped is using my baby's spoons/forks. They are tiny so you can't pick up a big amount anyways. Also, I am not eating in front of the TV. I am actually sitting down at the table and paying attention to every single bite - on how many times i chew before swallowing- made a HUGE difference.

i know how you feel about the speedy eating. Sometimes thats all you have time for but for the sake of the band..we must slow down and actually enjoy the food :thumbup:

good luck!!

Thanks for all of the tips and advice! Congrats to all of you hat have lost weight...your numbers are so inspiring! Can't wait to be there soon!!

Still going to practice practice!!

Robyn

I really like the idea of small utensiles!! Am going to go get some ASAP! Want to be 100% ready when it comes time to eating solids and I think this will keep my attention on it thru the meal.:thumbup:

thanks...I guess I will just keep trying and practicing!!

Were either of you fast eaters before?

Thanks

Yes I was. My hubby is a fast eater too, but this has actually made him slow down a little since otherwise he has to wait for me to finish when we eat out. It just takes practice and reacting to what your body is telling you.