Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Tired of People Saying: "You Really Don't Look Lika You Need That!!"

Few things infuriate me more than people who think it’s okay to stick their noses into my personal business.

"why cant you just eat right and exercise"

I got one of those. My response? In the best dopey Gomer Pyle style voice I could manage, I slap myself in the forehead and said “well gee how come I never thought of that!? Boy, you’re smart.” (some people must have some reeeal fancy book-learnin)

“My coworkers have me under a microscope watching everything I eat or drink and offer unwnted comments all the time.”

Next time they do that ask them who appointed them diet police and ask to see their official badges, otherwise shut up. Ask the balding guy if he’s tried Minoxidil for his receding hairline. Act surprised when he looks embarrassed.

wooohoooo i just got my date....Oct. 16th

Danyett:thumbup:

Edited by Danyett

That is so funny frauhowe! Tell them! But it is so true. Why is it that it seems ok for people to intrude or make public comments when it comes to obesity (and it is socially accepted!), but not erectile disfunction, or acne, bad breath or any other condition. Hm...?

Just venting a little... :smile:

I am 226 pounds, 5'2". BMI around 41. However, most people say i don't look "that heavy" because I have a lot of muscle mass. Lately, when I tell people I am having the lap band surgery in October, about 80% of them tell me: "you are not "that fat", "you really don't need it", "how did you get the insurance to cover it", "are you sure you want to do that, I've heard bad things", "you are healthy" and the classic, "so you are going that route? why don't you try other things?"... My insurance did NOT cover it, so I have to pay out of pocket. :tt1:

Anyway... all that to say, I decided not to tell anyone else until after the surgery. Who people think they are to judge how "fat" or "not that fat" anyone is...

Blah, blah... lol I know some of you can relate... I am super excited about my upcoming surgery and now I just tell them.. just watch me! :thumbup:

I'M NOT LISTENING.... LALALALALA (covering ears)

Good for you! I know exactly what your talking about. . . I'm

6 foot tall, female, and weigh 330 lbs. . .but you know "I'm not that fat" I have problems putting my socks on, but you know "you look just fine, why would you do that?" I can hardly fit into the airplane seat and need an extension, but "Oh your just big boned". . . yeah I understand totally. . . I'm waiting for my surgery, right now I'm at seminar stage, inital doctor visit on Oct. 2nd at 10am . . . then the crazy doctor and the nutritionist and we'll take it from there.

Few things infuriate me more than people who think it’s okay to stick their noses into my personal business.

"why cant you just eat right and exercise"

I got one of those. My response? In the best dopey Gomer Pyle style voice I could manage, I slap myself in the forehead and said “well gee how come I never thought of that!? Boy, you’re smart.” (some people must have some reeeal fancy book-learnin)

“My coworkers have me under a microscope watching everything I eat or drink and offer unwnted comments all the time.”

Next time they do that ask them who appointed them diet police and ask to see their official badges, otherwise shut up. Ask the balding guy if he’s tried Minoxidil for his receding hairline. Act surprised when he looks embarrassed.

That was funny! :thumbup: Love Gomer Pyle! I hate that when people watch everything you do. . . Heck, the next time anyone does that while you have your food in hand pop it into your mouth, chew, swallow (all the while looking at them right in the eye) and say, "You know I just might take that into consideration! Golly I'm sooooooooo fortunate to have you as my keeper!" Smile and pop another food into you mouth staring at them chewing. . . :tt1:

Thank you!!!!! date changed.....but still way excited 10/16/09

Congrats Danyett!!!! It gets REAL exciting from this point on now!!!! Everything you think about - you associate it with your surgery date. When someone said oh I'm doing this or that on such and such date, I found myself thinking hmmmm that's 2 days before my surgery. August 6th, 2009 will be etched in my brain forever, like my children's birthdays or anniversaries, etc. It's YOUR date!!!! The first day of the rest of your life!!! You go girl!!!

Thank you!!!!! date changed.....but still way excited 10/16/09

Congrats on your date :tt1::thumbup:

Thanks so much!!!! Can hardly contain myself!!!! Can’t wait to start my new life!!!

I so agree with this. I am honestly afraid of what people I know will say to me. So personaly the only people who know is my mom, Grandfather (he is sweet enough to pay out of pocket, and let me pay him back), my brother, and my best friend(it took me forever to even tell her im going to get it done. Everyone else I know dont even know I am going to be in surgery either October, or November. Even after the surgery I will not tell another soul. I dont understand why so many people are so judgemental and think that they know best.

Just venting a little... :cool:

I am 226 pounds, 5'2". BMI around 41. However, most people say i don't look "that heavy" because I have a lot of muscle mass. Lately, when I tell people I am having the lap band surgery in October, about 80% of them tell me: "you are not "that fat", "you really don't need it", "how did you get the insurance to cover it", "are you sure you want to do that, I've heard bad things", "you are healthy" and the classic, "so you are going that route? why don't you try other things?"... My insurance did NOT cover it, so I have to pay out of pocket. :tt1:

Anyway... all that to say, I decided not to tell anyone else until after the surgery. Who people think they are to judge how "fat" or "not that fat" anyone is...

Blah, blah... lol I know some of you can relate... I am super excited about my upcoming surgery and now I just tell them.. just watch me! :smile:

I'M NOT LISTENING.... LALALALALA (covering ears)

Just one of many reasons I chose to tell only a select few. I'll tell you what, the surgeon sure did agree that I needed it! :thumbup:

I can completely relate to your post. I heard...I don't think you qualify for that, you're just big! That (bariatric surgery) is not for people like you, you're very overweight but not that bad, well I say screw them too! I got the surgery and you know what...I don't walk around obessessed about being an overweight out of control person any longer. I am totally at ease with who I am now. Have I lost as much as I should after 8 months ...no ...but it was just enough to make me feel okay about myself. Was it easy? NO NO NO....I vomit, I get sick...I used to have an Iron stomach and maybe that was the problem. If you are totally committed to lving life as a healthy thin(ner) person you will take the punishment. It is not easy. I am not a compliant person so having my body change without my mind there can be a challenge but the body rules and your mind will follow ...it has no choice.

All the best to you!

Marg in Ny

Danyett, I just got my date yesterday!!! It is 10/14 so we will be going through this at the same time. Good luck to you and congratulations!

Danyett, I just got my date yesterday!!! It is 10/14 so we will be going through this at the same time. Good luck to you and congratulations!

Awesome!!!! congrats to you too!!! it will be here before we know it.:(