Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HAIR HELP!!!!!!!! (finally an answer!)

So, I consulted: a neutritionist, a personal trainer and a pharmacist and got a concensious on the hair loss issue.. and it doesn't involve Rogaine or nausiating Protein shakes (b/c I have had my Fill with them!!!) We all should be taking a multi-Vitamin to begin with post-op but for those of us that still have Hair loss or a Protein deficiancy, The answer comes in Biotin. Most pharmacies (and GNC) have special Vitamins for women to improve hair skin and nails, but they also have Biotin (aka Vitamin H) I was told to take the straight up 1000mg Biotin pill and in about 2 weeks I should start to see an improvement and less hair falling out and more re-growth.

I went to CVS the other day and looked at the Rogain package, and My "symptoms" don't qualify me to start doing it yet. besides the fact I have a sensitive scalp to begin with I'm afraid to use it and kind of embarrassed to buy it.

So there is my suggestion to help us out. And a plus side to the Biotin, is that the pills are small enough to not get stuck.

So, I consulted: a neutritionist, a personal trainer and a pharmacist and got a concensious on the hair loss issue.. and it doesn't involve Rogaine or nausiating Protein shakes (b/c I have had my Fill with them!!!) We all should be taking a multi-Vitamin to begin with post-op but for those of us that still have Hair loss or a Protein deficiancy, The answer comes in Biotin. Most pharmacies (and GNC) have special Vitamins for women to improve hair skin and nails, but they also have Biotin (aka Vitamin H) I was told to take the straight up 1000mg Biotin pill and in about 2 weeks I should start to see an improvement and less hair falling out and more re-growth.

I went to CVS the other day and looked at the Rogain package, and My "symptoms" don't qualify me to start doing it yet. besides the fact I have a sensitive scalp to begin with I'm afraid to use it and kind of embarrassed to buy it.

So there is my suggestion to help us out. And a plus side to the Biotin, is that the pills are small enough to not get stuck.

I've heard alot of people on here suggest Biotin. I've been taking it for over 3 weeks now, and I have to say, my hair is still falling out rapidly. I hope it kicks in soon. Good luck to you.

My surgery is in two weeks, and I also had read about Biotin. I ordered some from Amazon (great prices) and as soon as it gets here, I will start taking it. I'm sure I'll have Hair loss and I want my hair to be as thick and healthy as possible if it starts thinning.

Thanks, Sarahbellz! I have been taking Biotin for months and months, with no relief in sight for my hair, skin, or nails, but I was only taking 300 mg. a day! I was wondering on here just the other day how much I should be taking. I just ran out, so now I know how much I need to get. Thanks so much for the 411.

At my last fill, my doc also order some blood tests, just to make sure I'm not anemic or deficient in Vit. D. I have had trouble with both of those in the past.

I'm stopping at the store tonight! Thanks again! :w00t:

I'm going with the 2500 mcg. That is the highest they recommend. And it should be like any other Vitamin, what is not absorbed will be expelled in urine.

Edited by Chapamar
(Edited due to inaccurate amt. originally posted)

it's funny, after I wrote that I took a shower, and I swear I had more hair come out when I conditioned then there has been... This is really really scary. Ann, When I went to the doc, he said just my symptoms alone indicated a Protein deficeincy.. But I was also "over filled" it's been hard for me especially since (not to sound full of myself) I have always had an AWESOME head of hair... I think my only saving grace is my bangs lol.. but I'm shedding like crazy, and I want to cry about it. I do think I will buck up and get the rogaine this weekend along with the Biotin (I started taking this morning) You almost want to laugh and think, hey, I thought I was supposed to be losing weight not my hair!!!! But when I say a fist full of hair this morning,I mean it.. I almost threw up when I saw it.

hi,

i also had an issue with hair loss and getting food down.

Biotin didnt work for me in fact i just chucked the bottle i bought 2 years ago.

when i couldnt get Protein shakes down...i used the Protein bullets. but between the shakes and the bullets my Hair loss subsided. in fact i still have to be careful now to insure protein levels are high enough each day

hope your problem gets solved soon

Oh my...I feel for you Sarah! I'm having the same problem. I had thinner hair to begin with so every time I shower and comb my hair and see those hundreds of strands of hair, I get worried. I'm trying to increase my Protein but it's hard. I'm going to look into Biotin (I'd also heard about that from someone else) and Protein "bullets." ??

Off to do some Google research.

Funny note - back when I did the Atkins diet - High Protein - I also had Hair loss like this. So I'm not convinced it's b/c of lack of Protein. As I understood it it's a reaction to weight loss in general not a specific lack of nutrients. I'll have to read about it again.

I need to do something - I really should be wearing a hair-net in my own kitchen - I'm shedding like crazy!

Hey, Sarah, don't waste your money on the Rogaine! That's for people who are losing their hair because of genetics, not weight loss reasons. When I have had Hair loss from weight loss in the past, I have always been deficient in Vitamin D also, which is why my doctor just ordered a blood test for that (and Iron levels). Vitamin D supplements are sold over the counter also. It's also important to get all your other Vitamins in, so make sure you are taking a Multivitamin with Iron.< /p>

And, about all that hair you are seeing, just to let you know, it is less that what you think it is. If you were to take the hairs that come out in your hands, count them one by one, there won't be 100 every time you shower. How do I know? Well, this is actually the fourth time I've lost my hair. And the first time I lost it, I lost all of my hair -- to chemo. When I started losing the second time (due to weight loss/Vit. D deficiency), I was freaking out, as you can imagine, having been truly bald before! That's when the doctor explained about hair (esp. long hair) looking like so much more in your hands than it really is. So, I started counting (think tweezers), and she was right. I wasn't losing 100 each time. And, the majority of your hairs fall out when you Shampoo, so you aren't losing that much all day long. So breathe a little sigh of relief for that! :w00t:

However, all that said, it's still no fun to lose any of your hair, ever! But, it will grow back, believe me!! Been there, done that enough times to know! :blushing: But it does take patience. And maybe some Vitamin D and Biotin. Never tried Biotin those other times, so I'm anxious to see if it helps this time. You might want to ask your doctors about getting a blood test done for Vit D and iron levels. Could be more to it than you think! Good luck, everyone! :lol:

PS - My surgeon said the hair loss is stemming from rapid weight loss, not from lack of Protein. God knows, we're all getting lots of protein!

Edited by SpideyMom

it's more then 100 strands. I know you natuarally shed while you sleep, this is to the point where it's noticable in my hairline, like it's receeding. I've spoken to a few family members to see if it's genetic and it's not.

As for the Iron, Thats the thing, I have very Iron rich blood, so before my surgery when they did the pre-op blood work, I was told to stay away from the iron, the Vitamins with iron etc. But the vit. D, Didn't think of that.

Ann, I'm gonna make you laugh... I was bald, well half bald VOLUNTERILY! for a good 7 months.... I sported a Mohawk when I was 16. I will call the doc. see whats up.

Spidey Mom is correct. Rogane is for genetic hair loss. It is VERY common to loose hair after significant weight loss. Maintaining adequate Protein, Iron and Biotin levels are important.

Here's a link to a good article from Prevention magazine.

And, don't worry - it will grow back!

Hair Loss in Women -- Causes and Treatment - Prevention.com

I just spoke with my doctor at my 3rd fill this past week, and she said I was on the right track by taking Biotin and upping my Protein intake. As noted in this thread, the Hair loss is temporary, but 'temporary' could last up to 8 months according to my doctor. :tt1:

Well, good news -- even though my hair is still coming out in my hands, I can feel teeeeny tiny peach fuzz growing on my scalp! hooray! :tt1: I think that taking Biotin and Vit. D for a couple months now has helped. And I just upped my Biotin from 300 mg to 1000 mg (thanks to the tip from Sarahbellz) and hopefully, it will speed up (despite the nearly-platinum blonde highlights I had done yesterday).

Oh, and speaking of Biotin, did anyone notice that it is supposed to boost metabolism? My first bottle didn't say that! Hey, a little bang for your buck! :thumbup:

Thanks for this post...I was beginning to panic. I was losing so much hair I literally had a trail everywhere I went. I started the Biotin about 3 weeks ago and it slowed down almost immediately. It's back to the normal shedding amount.

Also, my dr said the first 6 months its typical for a surgery patient to lose hair as well.

The Biotin has worked great!!!