Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any November 2009 Bandsters??

Hi all!

Surgery Day was yesterday, so I am officially banded!

Went in at 6:30AM. Surgery started promptly at 8. I remember looking at the clock in recovery and it was 9:09. At 11:30, I had an upper GI. Everything looked good. Pain wasn't too bad at that time, but I was definitely juiced up! :confused:

Went back to surgery suite after upper GI and was allowed to leave at 1:00. The pillow on the belly definitely helped during the 2 hour car ride home.

Gas pains were pretty bad. I was taking the Gas X strips as suggested on here, but DR said they only help bowel gas and since the gas was in my body cavity, they wouldnt help. But I'm taking them anyway! :scared2:

Home pain med is Dalotid (sp). Takes the edge off but thats about it.

I have 5 incisions and the one I assume is the port (about 4 inches above belly button) is CRAZY BAD PAINFUL!

I slept pretty well last night on my back, even though I am a side sleeper. Getting up and down is the worst - like my stomach muscles have been beaten and shredded and stabbed. Wait - they have! Seriously, stomach muscle pain is BAD. Took me a good 5 minutes to get out of bed.

Not so bad just sitting around. And once I am up and moving, I am ok, as long as I hunch a little.

Words of advice - definitely bring chapstick and a small pillow and SUPER STRETCHY pants - like pjs 3 sizes too big! And ask for ice chips immediately. Throat hurt from intubation, but is almost normal today.

I was able to get down about 15 ounces thoughout yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, I've had 11 oz Protein shake and am working on Clear liquids now. I feel like I'm constantly drinking!

I hope the stomach pain begins to subside soon....

Good luck to all as their surgeries approach! Hard to believe it's over! :lol:

Edited by counselor-is-in
spelling

You lost 17.4 in 7 days?? OMG AMAZING well done! WOW ... so just 3 Protein shakes? What kind are you having??

I did! I was so shocked, I couldn't even compute the math in my head while I was standing there on the scale. :confused:

I have 3 Protein Shakes per day, one at each meal time. And then calorie free liquids the rest of the day.

I like BSN's Lean Dessert Protein powder in chocolate, vanilla, and cinnamon. I mix it with skim milk, ice, and Decaf coffee crystlas (to cut the sweetness). I also like Premier RTD chocolate from costco.

It's tough but doable. I have 6 days left and have no doubt I'll make it!

Amy

Congrats, Counselor! Can't wait to join you on the banded side...

And thanks for all the tips!

Amy

Hello everyone! I'm a Nov. Bandster too! The 24th! I'm so excited, and a little nervous! Right now it all seems like a blur, I've been going to the dietitian for 6 months for this surgery and now that it's literally days away I'm trying to keep my cool! lol. Any advice?

weight.png

Hi all!

Words of advice - definitely bring chapstick and a small pillow and SUPER STRETCHY pants - like pjs 3 sizes too big! And ask for ice chips immediately. Throat hurt from intubation, but is almost normal today.

I was able to get down about 15 ounces thoughout yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, I've had 11 oz Protein shake and am working on Clear Liquids now. I feel like I'm constantly drinking!

~Gentle hugs being sent~

Thanks CIN, your advice has been heeded, I have my chapstick, pillow, and saggy baggy stretchies all ready to go into my bag.:scared2:

So glad to see you may be in a bit of discomfort yet still have your humor. Humor will take you a looooong way, and it helps comfort those of us who have yet to have the surgery.

Thanks for sharing it all!:confused:

Hi all!

Went in at 6:30AM. Surgery started promptly at 8. I remember looking at the clock in recovery and it was 9:09. At 11:30, I had an upper GI. Everything looked good. Pain wasn't too bad at that time, but I was definitely juiced up! :confused:

Went back to surgery suite after upper GI and was allowed to leave at 1:00. The pillow on the belly definitely helped during the 2 hour car ride home.

Gas pains were pretty bad. I was taking the Gas X strips as suggested on here, but DR said they only help bowel gas and since the gas was in my body cavity, they wouldnt help. But I'm taking them anyway! :scared2:

I have 5 incisions and the one I assume is the port (about 4 inches above belly button) is CRAZY BAD PAINFUL!

I slept pretty well last night on my back, even though I am a side sleeper. Getting up and down is the worst - like my stomach muscles have been beaten and shredded and stabbed. Wait - they have! Seriously, stomach muscle pain is BAD. Took me a good 5 minutes to get out of bed.

Not so bad just sitting around. And once I am up and moving, I am ok, as long as I hunch a little.

I was able to get down about 15 ounces thoughout yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, I've had 11 oz Protein shake and am working on clear liquids now. I feel like I'm constantly drinking!

I'm glad everything went well. I hope you bounce back to your healthy self soon!!!!

Hi all!

Went in at 6:30AM. Surgery started promptly at 8. I remember looking at the clock in recovery and it was 9:09. At 11:30, I had an upper GI. Everything looked good. Pain wasn't too bad at that time, but I was definitely juiced up! :bored:

Gas pains were pretty bad. I was taking the Gas X strips as suggested on here, but DR said they only help bowel gas and since the gas was in my body cavity, they wouldnt help. But I'm taking them anyway! :)

I was able to get down about 15 ounces thoughout yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, I've had 11 oz Protein shake and am working on clear liquids now. I feel like I'm constantly drinking!

Good luck to all as their surgeries approach! Hard to believe it's over! :)

hey thanks for the tips, i am scheduled for dec 7,2009 , i hope your doing better soon, i wanted to know what the pain meds they gave you were and what is sp?

what do you take for pain??? are u able to swallow a pill??? what shoulds i take with me besides chap stick, pillow,baggy clothes??? thanks

you dr should give u a RX for a liquid pain-killer. I got hydrocodiene (sp?) and I bought liquid Tylenol pain reliever. my dr says no pills - use that liquid Tylenol.

bring Gas X strips

what do you take for pain??? are u able to swallow a pill??? what shoulds i take with me besides chap stick, pillow,baggy clothes??? thanks

Hi all!

Went in at 6:30AM. Surgery started promptly at 8. I remember looking at the clock in recovery and it was 9:09. At 11:30, I had an upper GI. Everything looked good. Pain wasn't too bad at that time, but I was definitely juiced up! :)

Gas pains were pretty bad. I was taking the Gas X strips as suggested on here, but DR said they only help bowel gas and since the gas was in my body cavity, they wouldnt help. But I'm taking them anyway! :)

I was able to get down about 15 ounces thoughout yesterday afternoon/evening. Today, I've had 11 oz Protein shake and am working on Clear liquids now. I feel like I'm constantly drinking!

CONGRATS!!!!! Take it easy and u'll be fine in no time! :)

Keep sippin' slowly! hot tea helped me a lot during the first few days!

I didn't get to sleep in my bed until 4 nights later. I had to sleep on the sofa's recliner because the pain was too awful to bear when I tried to lay down in bed. and I didnt want to pull my muscles too soon and i was feeling so swollen inside and it sucked but I was sooo happy to sleep in my bed again! :bored:

Also take you some good house slippers. You will be walking a bunch. Walking will make you feel sooooooo much better.

Hi all!

Went in at 6:30AM. Surgery started promptly at 8. I remember looking at the clock in recovery and it was 9:09. At 11:30, I had an upper GI. Everything looked good. Pain wasn't too bad at that time, but I was definitely juiced up! :bored:

Hey I'm banded too. Do you feel any restriction? I don't feel any. My Dr. said he could see everything going down real good in the GI. He said I would need a feel in 3 weeks instead of 6 weeks. I'm glad of that. My pain is minimal. I took the hydrocodone last night because my husband insisted. Today I an going to take a couple short walks and try to work the sourness out. I'm thinking at this time I'm going to have a hard time getting 60oz down a day. Couldn't finish my coffee this morning, and thats not like me. So well will see. Good luck to you and keep up the good work.

The pain is a tiny bit better, but still bad. THe gas is just about gone. Only feel it now and again. But the stomach muscle pain is ridiculous. I have Dilautid for pain. I take tylenol in between, but the meds really don't seem to help much. I am sleeping in my bed, but the getting up and down is killer.

Yesterday, I managed to get down 22 oz of Protein shakes (32 gr protein) and 20 oz of clear liquids. It's SUPER hard to get the liquids down. I am working a bit faster today, so hope to get to 32 and 32.

My nose is horribly dry from the oxygen - if you have a humidifier at home, you might want to use it the first day or two.

I feel absolutely no restriction, but my dr said the band wasn't even really touching my stomach yet because my anatomy was pretty small in comparison. I would guess that means I'll get a fairly large fill at my first.

The pain is a tiny bit better, but still bad. THe gas is just about gone. Only feel it now and again. But the stomach muscle pain is ridiculous. I have Dilautid for pain. I take tylenol in between, but the meds really don't seem to help much. I am sleeping in my bed, but the getting up and down is killer.

I am so sorry to hear you are still so sore, hopefully it will ease today as your another day into your healing. But they did do abdominal cutting, and doggone it, those muscles seem to relate to everything you do! Even blowing your nose!:)

Yesterday, I managed to get down 22 oz of Protein shakes (32 gr protein) and 20 oz of clear liquids. It's SUPER hard to get the liquids down. I am working a bit faster today, so hope to get to 32 and 32.

Good for you, that is a lot more liquids than many of the baby bandsters I've read about manage to get down, you're doing GREAT!:bored:

My nose is horribly dry from the oxygen - if you have a humidifier at home, you might want to use it the first day or two.

OOPs, forget what I said about blowing your nose!:)

I feel absolutely no restriction, but my dr said the band wasn't even really touching my stomach yet because my anatomy was pretty small in comparison. I would guess that means I'll get a fairly large fill at my first.

HEY, that's great news actually, that meanes it's confirmation that you'll be morphing into a beautiful small bodied butterfly!!!! Even when I lose all my poundage, I still will be, how can I say this nicely....ROUND!:)

Good hearing from ya!