Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What's your body frame size?

I'm trying to figure out what my healthy weight range is, but I need to know what my body frame is. I'm pretty sure I don't have a large frame. I've never been "big boned." But how do I know if I'm a small or a medium? I've seen three methods for figuring it out, and none of them really work.

1. Measure your wrist: Well, if you're obese, your wrist will be bigger, so that doesn't help

2. Measure the distance between the bones in your elbow: I can't ever seem to get an accurate measure on that.

3. Wrap one hand around the opposite wrist and see if your fingers touch: Well, my thumb touches my index finger and ring finger and overlaps my middle finger. So what does that mean? Maybe I have long fingers.

Does anyone know of a better way to figure this out? Or is this one of those things "you just know"?

*confused*

SJ

Excellent question! I don't know that I've ever really thought about this. I just know I'm big boned/large framed. I'm a Amazon. Okay, right now I'm a fat Amazon, but one still the same.

We are, in a word, sturdy. My son's GF is a tiny little bird, she weighs about 95 pounds. The Spudboy delights in carrying her all around, he just scoops her up and runs up the sairs with her.

Being an Amazon, that will probably never happen to me. Has never happened to me.

Sorry I'm no help either. I have massive bones, thus a massive frame. I've had multiple docs tell me not to worry about getting below 150 or I'll look like a walking stick. 150? Please just let me see 200 again!!!

I dont think that measuring your wrist is all that reliable to be honest. Going by that I'm a large frame - I'm five ten, and my wrists are larger than my husbands, I also lack those long slender fingers and feet that tall willowy people have. So judging by that I could say that I should be at the upper end of my healthy weight range 78kg or so.

Except that when I did weight that, and that was a weight I held for a period of years, I was fat. And not body dysmorphia fat, I had rolls, I never wore sleevless tops because my upper arms were flabby, I could most definitely be called overweight, not obese of course.

I dieted down to 72kg for my wedding and in the photos I look lots better than I do now. I could live with merely being overweight again - but my sister who is an inch shorter than me, same build, is 64kg and she looks absolutely amazing. She's exactly right, curvy and well covered without rolls of flab. Because we're so alike, I know that about 65kg would be perfect for me. Despite my large frame, I dont need a lot of flesh.

I dont know too much about frame sizes, but I do remember reading somewhere that after years of being overweight, bones tend to be heavier, to carry the extra weight that was on us.

I have no idea how true this is, but I have noticed that I *look* thinner now, at 86kg, than I did 10 years ago when I was 80kg. I do think my bones are heavier, and I would have more muscle too, I am sure.

I am a large frame or big boned. The smallest in my adult life at age 18 was 230lbs and I looked hot - I still was big - but I was very muscular but I still had a tummy althought that was it - now at 285 where I am now - I have a tummy, thighs, saggy boobs, and flabby arms. If I can only make it down to 230lbs which was the smallest I ever was - then this surgery would be worth it to me. I think the perfect weight for me would be 180-190 although I'm shooting for 165 I think that I would look silly at that weight - but who knows? I have my father's frame and he was very heavy and so is his entire side of the family - but I did carry it well until the last 2 years probably when I've gained so much. Now you've got me re-thinking my goal weight. The only doctor who never made me feel bad about being overweight was the only one honest to enough to tell me with my frame and height that 200lb would be about right for me. All the other doctors said "according to their charts" I should be 150 at my heaviest - I have not doubt at 150 I'd look anorexic. I think I'm going to re-consider my goal weight - I only chose 165 so I'd have room to play with - but maybe I'll change it to 175 - that seems a bit better for me for a goal. I was mentally thinking 175 is too close to 200 ---- ok let's go for 170. that's only changing 5 lbs but mentally I think it will movitivate me more.

There is some thing to be said about your ("frame") mine is a large big boned I thought about trying to get down to 185...So im the ( right weight ) for vanity fair people! or 40% of the skinny people..... but I look at my self, and then check out my chest with a 45 inch diameter chest, used to be 56......... 20.5 arms now 15 but rock hard! And dam I, look good! but any way that another story.hehe.I have been stuck at 209/212 for all most a month.because of weights.If i, stick to the weights I could propley hit the 200lb

but that would be killing my self! and if I wanted to get down to 185 the only way I, could do it is to just walk every day and stay around 1000/1200 calories no lifting weights because building mucle mass gives you weight!

people have already come up to me many and told me to stop losing weight,Because im looking to thin/I think they are just used to seeing me fat. Im happy for the first time in twenty five years I, can wear a large jacket size 32 pants........geting to frame size I think its all what you think there is small, med ,large.....some super sized.or could be as simple as what you think your frame size is an idea, weight for you.....and mine is 200lb will get to that and maintain and really tone up!

thats my goal but in the health books 200lb for six feet tall man is over weight. go figure yeah.... if your a bean pole or a, walking stick maybe...I will send a new photo not to be conseeded but you tell me if I, sould lose more or stay at this weight Please you won;t hurt my feeling....Thanks JohnQ

what do you think!10 /15 more pounds or go the whole 29 to get to 185!!!

this photo is a month old and have tighted stomacheevery where else!

post-204441-13813132266582_thumb.jpg

Im sorry this is not the john show wrong pitcher!....AND HOW DO YOU MAKE THE PITCHER SMALLER!! THAT IS BAD PHOTO.i HAVE A SMALLER STOMACH NOW!

I think you look hot!! I would say got for another 10 possibly but nooooo more than that - forget the 29 for vanity - you look great - maybe another 10 if that's what you want - then I'd say your done with weight loss! Congrats!

I am not a "big-boned" person, I know that because I have seen my MRIs and X-Rays and my bones are VERY small compared to most people (even skinny ones). I can wrap my wrists together and hold my hands (and I have teeny weeny hands, have to buy childrens mittens) and I can touch my thumb to my index finger when wrapping them around my wrists. I am very interested to see what my body frame really would look like though. They used to have to COOLESTTTT program on DiscoveryHealth.com, but I can not seem to find it again. On it you could type in your weight and put in your body-type and then personalize to pretty close to the way you look and then track your weight loss, and it would show you how you look at different weights, it was really cool.

You could try ankle measurements.

http://www.iahsaa.org/Body_Comp_Methods.htm

it has guidlines in there, on the second page.

Now my feet and ankles haven't ever gotten bigger due to weight. I wish, because then I might have hope of my clown feet shrinking... Instead, I just let my husband know that if he ever wants to start cross dressing, the closet's open.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>