Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie from West Texas

Hi, my name is Chad I am from San Angelo Tx. I am on the pre op diet but will not know the exact date of lap band surgery until Tuesday after labor day. The Doc says that it will be toward the end of Sept. I had my pre op visit 2 days ago all is good and insurance will pay. The doc really wanted me to get the gastric bypass. I am 5'10 and weigh 308. In 2003 I weighed 190 pounds. I did not start gaining all this weight until middle of 2004 after a heart problem and the doc put me on coreg. I am off that coreg stuff now and fat. Anyway I told the Doc that " I did not want to rewire the plumbing that god made, I just want to squeeze it a little bit. He did not think it was funny, but it was my way to tell him I am getting the lap band and not his gastric bypass. Sorry for rambling on good to be here.

Edited by Haku
correction

Hi Haku! welcom to lapbandtalk. . i joined yesterday and love this site. . . the folks here are SO friendly and many if not most can totally relate. . Good luck to you on your pre diet. . . you'll do good. . . I'm just researching the procedure right now. . . ACTUALLY everyone, I got financing today for the full amount. . . i was very happy. . . next is my seminar and then, well. . . you know. . . keep going and best of luck. . .

Welcome and good luck! Do you like Eddie Izzard (re your avatar)? I weighed 405 when I started this journey and am 5'5"; my doc didn't try to push bypass on me (thank God) and i am losing well and steadily and expect to do so for some time to come, so good for you sticking by your guns. Are you getting banded in San Angelo?

They don't do any WLS in San Angelo, I am going to

Dr. Kenneth R Warnock

6 Eureka Circle

Wichita Falls, TX 76308

Recommended by my PCM.

post-274074-13813138658169_thumb.jpg

I just got my surgery date this week, 9/22/09. My doctor also tried to get me to do the bypass becasue of my diabetes. So I am with you West Texas, I am now doing my pre-op diet. I'm excited but also a little apprehensive. Hope all goes well with you.

Susan in Houston, TX

I got the impression that the Dr made more money from the RYN. Because he does 2 surgeries at once. He takes out your galbladder at the same time. He said 45 minutes for both surgeries, but RNY better. For who is RNY better? He just said you lose weight more quickly, well for me it not all about the weight. I am a whole person not just a number.

youll love the lap band,i do mine and i had alot to lose 67 pds today i have been 10 months,trying for 80 /100 by october,will see good luck

Well Haku...my gallbladder is long gone, but he did say that I would lose faster with the bypass. Like you I want to lose the weight but I want to do it in a healthy way. The looking better thing for me is a bonus I just want to be healthier and more active!

SE Texas

I really want the Gastric sleeve surgery, but there is not code for it yet. My insurance will only pay for bypass or the band. So I figure I will get the band if it don't work out I will go for the sleeve at that time. My insurance said that the sleeve is to be approved and have its own code in 2010.

Yeah, the sleeve looked like something that I would have liked to consider myself. Keep me updated and let me know when you get your surgery date. Good luck!