Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

will I be back to normal? removal

To those of you who have had the band removed:

If I have my band removed, will I be back to normal or will there be always lingering effects of being banded?

I've had my band for 8 weeks now and have called or seen the doctor and other doctors too many times to count. I've had many of the usual tests, five different drugs (with horrible side effects), and so many complications.

I want to have the band removed so that I will feel like I did before.

I have no fill now, but am scared of food and disappointed in the way of life for a bandster. I know we are all different, but I will just say that for me, life is not good.

I am so thirstyl I want to take a nice long drink of cold Water so badly. If I am going to diet, I want to eat fruit and vegetables- not mashed potatoes and gravy. I have to put sauces, creams, and gravies on just about everything I eat to get it to go down without so much discomfort. I want to eat like a normal person.

I vastly misunderstood the band. I thought that I would be eating smaller meals and feel satisfied. I did not know that I would have to chew food to the consistency of vomit before I swallowed. I knew I would eat slowly and said that was fine with me because I am the slowest eater -ever. I didn't understand that slowly meant newborn baby bites and eventually eating cold food everytime I ate.

I'm not really losing -I guess because I am not hydrated and not eating enough Protein. can't help that, I am doing all that I can tolerate.

I've decided that I will give the band 6 months and then make my final decision.

The problem for me is that I will be letting my family down. I know that I will probably not ever be able to lose weight in my lifetime now. I had such high hopes, but now am depressed all the time. I am not myself, not happy -ever. I hate this thing inside me. I hate that I'm in a situation that I can't control. I hate life.

So, I hope that those who are mean-spirited will not answer my post -I am looking for those who have taken the band out -not those who have pent up anger and hostility and use message boards' anonymity to purge their demons:)

Thanks in advance.

Edited by denouement

You have had trouble from the start. For many of us, the band experience IS what you expected (not what you got, but what you expected) I can chug Water if I want, I can eat anything and none of it is vomit consistency. HOWEVER...if that is what it's like for you then that is no way to live.

Can you go to a diffferent doctor? I wouldn't trust the one you have to remove the band, myself (that's been a big part of your problem, I think.) See a different surgeon/practice and see what he says. If you can't have the experience you wanted (and paid for!) then you do need to have it removed.

From what I've read, you should go back to "normal" once the band is out. I hope that either that is the case for you, or a new surgeon can help you have the experience you wanted originally.

Good luck!

Sorry you have had a bad experience with the band. I have had to have my 1st one replaced and am so thankful I have a tool to remind me not to eat too much.

It did change the foods I can eat, and I have had complications, but I just can not risk not having my band to guide me on portions.

Good luck on your removal. I think a lot of people have been unfilled and return to normal eating without loosing the band.

I started at 258 and am now down to 158-161 most days. Helps my feet and my blood pressure!

Hope things work out for you!

Trana,

My band slipped in July 2009. I'm considering having a new one put in. I was wondering what your experience was from having the first band put in and the second band put in? I am having serious doubts whether I can lose weight without the band. I'm eating about the same portions and exercising even more than I did with the band and I am not losing weight. I had a very good relationship with my band and it was a powerful tool to keep my portions in check. My slippage was a total surprise. I really had no idea that it would happen to me. I would not have considered taking my band out. I had no choice because the band twisted and my stomach was too swollen to replace it. I would appreciate your feedback on thsi subject.

I would like to respond to the subject raised about whether or not you go "back to normal after the removal." Yes, you can eat bigger portions, gulp a glass of Water without burping, don't have to concern yourself about chewing, can race through eating without slowing down, drink Water when you eat, etc., but you LOSE the ability to STOP eating when you had enough.

I can see how I could GAIN all the 85 pounds I've lost and GAIN even more. I have had what it takes after losing this weight to go to any store and buy whatever clothes I want because they fit, like what I see in the mirror, cross my legs for the first time in my adult life, feel good in my clothes and not have buttons pop or keep the zipper down to feel comfortable, go across a mall walking and not have to stop for a break, go on an airplane and strap my seat belt without an extention, etc. These things are priceless. I guess you can say you go back to "normal" after they take the band out but I don't think I will ever look at food the same way again. food took over my life for so many years. The band put it in perspective. Made me realize that I used it as a friend rather than fuel. I don't want to miss out on any part of my life because of my weight EVER again!

If there is those out there that are throwing up too much, eating cold food, can't drink without getting ill, etc. There is something wrong. The band was meant not to be doing those things to you. Either the band is too tight, slipped, eroded, etc. You need to go to a bariatric surgeon and have it checked out ASAP. You can get dehydrated and very ill for not correcting it.

- Ellen

denouement,

as far as I know from my own experience once the band is removed you'll be back to your old self again as long as there are no complications. The bad part is back comes the old size stomach and the appetite returns. Hence why I revised eventually to RNY. Good luck with whatever you choose to do, Nancy.

Hi,

I am feeling the same way! I got banded 1 week ago.. I'm severly depressed and I am thinking about asking my doctor about taking it out. Not now.. but when I've had it longer I might consider it. It's NOT about food in anyway. I'm so depressed I cant stop crying and feeling horrible. I have the flu.. and am constantly dehydrated.

My mom keeps telling me how it was my choice and I had to live with it. But do I? Do you think the doctor will take it out ifI'm constantly feeling ill?

Since monday I have been to the ER twice. I dont have the money and the time to keep going back in for dehydration or sickness. But I cant help my depression either. I'm afraid to tell my doctor about my severe depression because that might make him re-think taking my band out.

After 1 week... I wont get it out. I'll still give it a try. But after a month.. I might think about getting it out.

Dont worry I feel the same way as you.

Did you have it taken out yet? or is your doctor considering it?

Hang in there.

God Bless

-Alex

hey, I know how you feel. I've been having a terrible time with this. I had severe nausea since surgery. It went away for a couple of weeks and came back. It's kinda gone but I still feel nauseous, and I get dizzy alot I never did pre band, I have no energy, I sleep a lot. I did say I was getting my band removed in another post and I'm still thinking about it. I'm gonna bring it up wen I see my dr again on the 21st so I'll bring it up. My mom said im probably gonna have to live with it too..NO I don't want to live with being like that. I've been depressed a lot, I cried a lot, no Im not going to see anyone about that! I know that if I had to live with this I wouldn't bee happy or feel like myself, that's what I want. So anyways I'm just worried about gaining what I lost back but if I keep my mind to it, I will be successful oh I'm 2 months and 3 days post op. And I'm a senior in high school..school started on sept. 8th and I missed two weeks and 3 days of school cause I was really nauseated, dizzy(I still get dizzy), headaches, upset, unhappy, no energy because I couldn't sleep well, plus on top of all that I had a very bad bladder infection i had antibiotics and thinking about the meds made me sick to my stomach and i had no appetite and even Water started making me sick to my stomach and for some reason I feel like I still have some sort of infection but idk so I just can't afford that if it happens again and I know it's gonna stay with me cause I feel a bit nauseous right now. I don't want to live like that and gonna set up a plan and hopefully get the band removed next month during my thanksgiving break sometime and stick to the plan..sorry for babling

hi I had my band placed 10-27-09 and I want this thing out of me I feel like I have a foreign body inside of me I can't sleep all I do is cry and I am starving I spoke with my surgeon today and have an appt next monday and hopefully at that time make arrangements to have it removed

hi I had my band placed 10-27-09 and I want this thing out of me I feel like I have a foreign body inside of me I can't sleep all I do is cry and I am starving I spoke with my surgeon today and have an appt next monday and hopefully at that time make arrangements to have it removed

How are you hurting? Post surgery pain should be manageable with pain killers (I was given hydrocodone)... Like minor stomach soreness, as if you did a lot of sit ups in a row. If it's agonizing, yes, get thee to your doctor. Please keep us updated with how your talk with your surgeon goes and take care!

I haven't had a band put in yet so I can't comment on most of these posts, but I do know something about food and depression.

For many of us (I don't know any overweight person for whom this is not true), food helps keeps depression and anxiety at bay. Eating releases chemicals in your brain that make you feel good. Several of you are just barely out from surgery and it would make sense that, if you were using food to feel good before you might feel bad now without it.

I expect that this will happen to me if I get banded so I started trying to think of alternatives to food. What are some things you can do to get the same release of dopamine and other feel-good chemicals? Exercise, eating jalapenos, playing with a dog, talking to friends, watching a funny movie are some that I though of.

And I agree with the other poster who suggested you go see another surgeon. Your doctor may not be paying proper attention to you.

I know that might sound simple but it's worth a try just to get you over this hump. Did your surgeon offer aftercare? If so, go to the support group meetings.

I agree with your post. Eating does give you a pay off. If it didn't give us one, why would we do it? Support groups really help me, using this website, talking with others who are going through the same journey, etc. I am also going to therapy which really helps. There is a huge difference between surgeons. I picked my surgeon because of his fantastic aftercare program. It never ends. I can always go to the support group or call my bariatric surgeon or his nurses.

I feel the band has been a powerful tool for me. I had it put in on May 20, 2008, and I lost 85 pounds. It slipped and I had it taken out in July. I started gaining weight and feeling miserable. I really thought I would do it without that piece of plastic inside me. But guess what? I am having it put back in this Thursday. Its the only thing that I know that helped me with my entire life of struggle of battling food.