Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Are you allowed to have caffeine?

My doctor has recommended against it but he was a little wishy washy, leading me to believe that it would be smart to avoid caffeine but that it probably wouldn't hurt me if I did. What are other docs recommending?

Hi Sally,

Hmmm... are you having a problem avoiding caffeine? :wink2: :)

I cut back during my pre-op diet. I first did half-half then solid unleaded... I miss my daily cup of real coffee though. Luckily it is hot here right now and I don't crave it when it is warm outside.

My doctor said "avoid caffeine".. I think for the first couple of months, during the healing phase. It can be an irritant to the digestive tract so I guess that makes sense. I don't usually drink more than one large cup a day but I like it strong.

Hope you are feeling better? I am a "little better" every day. I took a trip to the grocery store (my first outing) but now I am tired. It seems to go that way. I guess over time the feeling good times will get longer and the little pains will get less. I started cream Soups and yogurt today.. definitely a treat! :ohmy:

Take care,

Katie

My dr told me that caffeine in small amounts was fine. I have been having a small iced coffee about every other day and have been handeling it fine! :)

My doc said a 16 oz cup of coffee was fine. Unfortunately I'm not a fan of coffee, used to drink Diet Dr Pepper and those are a no-no. I haven't had anything but Water since around August 10th. Weird!

My dr. is fine with it...so I get my cup of joe every morning...well,i have two cups...and use half decaf...

I was told to avoid caffeine if it's an appetite stimulant for me. It's not, so I still have my coffee each AM, and I have my unsweetened iced tea throughout the day. I do, however, make sure I get at least 64 oz of Water in, and the tea is just extra.

I do, however, make sure I get at least 64 oz of Water in, and the tea is just extra.

I find it amazing that you are expected to drink that quantity of Water in addition to other liquids. My bladder gives me enough trouble as it is!

People often don't realise that other liquids actually count towards your Fluid total. The recommendation from my NUT is at least 2 litres (which I assume is 64oz) of low energy fluids between meals. Those fluids can include :- water, mineral water, tea/coffee(no sugar) and diet cordial. Water is obviously the best but there is no way I could drink that much plain water especially in the colder months. I find hot water with a tea bag and a splash of low fat milk goes down far easier.

Often magazines, websites and diet plans give us this incorrect idea that we have to drink 2 litres of water plus whatever else.

I actually went for tests a while back and when I told them how much I was drinking I was told its not surprising I run to the loo so much! At that point I was striving to do the 6 - 8 glasses of water +++. I was informed then that it was incorrect that other fluids count towards your total and a number of doctors /NUTS have confirmed it for me since.

you misunderstand. I make sure I get 64 oz of Water and if I still want more liquid then I have tea.

And no, not all docs/nuts feel everything Fluid counts as Water, but each person should do what his/her doc says.

I make sure I get water as a personal choice based on something my general practitioner told me years and years ago. But do what your doc says. Personally, to me tea isn't water, diet soda isn't water, crystal light isn't water. That's just according to me and my doc though; opinions differ.

There's also liquid in food too; I don't count it either. :)

Correct.

Liquid in food doesn't count, strong coffee doesn't count,alcohol definitely doesn't count - it dehydrates rather than hydrates but a lot of things do.

And checking with your own doc is always a good idea.

I didn't find much trouble with caffeinated drinks, but coffee, especially as strong as I like it, seemed to irritate my stomach if I had more than a cup or two. I've been drinking hot tea (non-caffeinated) in the afternoon. Sure, it's the heat of the summer, but my office seems to be colder in proportion to how hot is is outside, so I need Hot Drinks to keep me warm.

I believe the reasons that I was told to avoid it were that (1) caffeine is a diuretic and many of us flirt with dehydration, and (2) caffeine causes blood vessels to constrict which is not good during the healing stage. I've had terrible headaches from caffeine withdrawal so I had my first cup of tea today. I'm going to drink it in moderation (one cup per day) for now.

I occasionally have a glass of tea unsweet if I am out to dinner, but at home it's Water. I think twice I have had some crystal light.

Patty

My doc said it was ok to drink coffee, but be sure to drink Water throughout the day, as coffee can be dehydrating.

I definitely get 2 cups in each morning..... I have triplets... you TRY to take that cup from me, and see what happens :smile2:

I was told caffeine is fine if, like Restless Monkey, I don't find it to be an appetite stimulant. I drink a package of of Crystal Light Focus Natural Citrus Splash in the morning, which has caffeine but the package doesn't say how much. I also drink tea. I drink well over 64 oz of Water a day, plus whatever else, too.