Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complication

I was banded on 8/6 and had had no problems till this past week. I woke up Tuesday morning in excruciating pain, :eek:could barely walk. I called my doc and he had me come in. I had pain over my port and on my left side. He couldn't figure out why I was having so much pain so sent me for a CAT scan. The CAT scan came back and everything looked fine. I went home and stayed in bed all day and night. During the night I spiked a 101 fever. :mad: The next day, I had to go to work for a few hours for an important meeting so I took some Ibprofen and went in. By the time I left work I was in tears again. I called the doc and he sent me in for some blood work and put me on an anti-biotic. By the time I went to get the lab work they had closed so I picked up the antibiotic and went to the grocery store to pick up something to eat. While there, the incision above the port started oozing puss. I freaked out. :wub: Thank God my husband was there to keep me calm!

I called the doc and they sent me to the ER. My doc told me initially that he was going to have to do surgery to remove my port, wait till I healed and then replace it. Then, my doc opened the insicion there in the ER and drained it. He then told me it wasan't as bad as he had thought and that I may not need surgery but I needed to stay in the hospital. I was in the hospital on IV antibiotics from Wed. night till around noon today.

They finally found out that I had contracted a Staff infection. Thankfully it wasn't MRSA because that is really really seriously dangerous. I am now on antibiotics and hoping to keep healing. If the infection doesn't go away, he is going to have to do surgery, take out the port, wait for me to heal, and then attempt to put the port back in, which he said has only work 2 out of 3 times (ie. he has only done it three times and it work 2 of the times). Pheww, what a frickin whirlwind!! At least I am not hunched over and in excruciating pain like I was on Tues. and Wed. But still very sore and tired. Now I have an open wound that I need to bandage every day too.

I'm a teacher and start on Monday. GRrr!! :blink:

I am SO sorry to hear this :wub: However, I am glad that your doctor is trying a less invasive procedure before he makes a decision to operate. Just follow his instructions for cleaning the wound and resting. I will hope for the best for you!

isaviolinist,

Thank you so much!! I am working on it!! I was starting to get homesick being at the hospital. My husband has been really great about helping me out and making sure my rear end stays parked:). I'm not known for being a good sick patient, though with the fear of surgery pending, it gives me good motivation.

You have some great stats!! Keep up the great work! :wub:

Darce

oh my goodness...I hope you have a speedy recovery:) im glad your doing better

isaviolinist,

Thank you so much!! I am working on it!! I was starting to get homesick being at the hospital. My husband has been really great about helping me out and making sure my rear end stays parked:). I'm not known for being a good sick patient, though with the fear of surgery pending, it gives me good motivation.

You have some great stats!! Keep up the great work! :wub:

Darce

Darce, I'm glad to hear that your husband is so supportive and is keeping you calm and making sure you get your rest!

I'm also a teacher, so I completely understand your panic about school starting soon. If you have to take a few days off, then just do it! Your students will be happy that you are healthy, and maybe it can prevent surgery (which would in turn, prevent you having to take even MORE days off).

Thank you very much for the compliments :blink: I hope everything works out very well for you! Please keep us posted on the progress!

Darce,

I too am so sorry to hear this!! I am very glad that you were in the hospital and had antibiotics pumped into you for a few days though... better safe than sorry for sure.

I hope you heal quickly and the procedure to replace the port goes smoothly... make sure to keep us all updated!!

Take care,

Katie

Hi Darce,

How frightening for you, I'm so sorry. Did the doc say why it took so long for the infection to surface like that? Did you show any symptoms prior (swelling, redness?) I wish you full recovery and quick healing!

Lisa:smile2:

Thanks for all the well wishes everyone! I am feeling a little better today. It's wierd because I have this huge hole of a cut in the middle of my belly and it is making me queasy and off balance, a bit light headed if I am up and about for too long. But, at least there isn't anymore severe pain! Hopefully I am headed to finer days! And eventually a fill!:)

I'm so sorry to hear that but glad you are feeling better. My sister got a staff infection after her gastric bypass and had that big open wound that my poor husband had to pack because I was too quezy to do.

Darcee,

I'm sorry to hear that this happened, but I'm glad your on your way to getting better. Dont force it or over extend yourself...give yourself a break and time to heal !!

Darce-I will keep you in my prayers-girl, as if you needed this *&&% in the middle of trying to heal...keep reading the posts-you will get lots of support. We really are in this new process together. Please keep us filled in on your recovery-