Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Mean People..

Well.. I just need to vent and I know that people here will understand what I am talking about. So here it goes..

Why is it ok for a skinny person to call someone fat and NO one see anything wrong with this???

But, if I called that same skinny person UGLY I would be a horrible person..

Now I am not saying anyone is ugly that is just my example.. Here is the situation..For a year and a half I worked at a retail store and NEVER once had anyone comment to me about being fat and I was at my fattest of 431 lbs... Now that I have finally taken action and work my butt off on a daily basis to loose weight and have gotten down to 320 in less then a year I have people make more comments about me being fat then before and it is REALLY annoying. I have worked in a hospital for over a year now and during this time I have changed my life and the way i look at my life and the way I live my life...I love every minute of every day now. I look forward to working out.. I don't crave going out to my OLD favorite restaurants .. I NEVER eat fast food.. 98% of my meals are made in my home and walk 4.5 miles or more every day of the week and use the total gym every other day if not more..

So I am dedicated.. and I think my weightloss shows that..

Anyways, I got a new position at the hospital and I am working one on one with patients more often and in the past month I have had 3 patients refer to me as fat.. WELL YES i know I am fat.. obviously that I WHY i am doing something about it, but why do they have to comment and why do they feel they have a RIGHT to judge me.. They don't know what I do every night.. SO this older lady today decided to tell me how she works at a local theme park and Fat people will come to the park wearing a bikini top with their fat hanging out and she thinks it is gross.. I was just like "UMMMM OK" Now In all my time being fat I just want to set the record straight I have ALWAYS work respectable clothing. Just like I don't want to look at someone's muffin top I am sure they don't want to look at my rolls...So I have ALWAYS made sure to look nice and dress appropriately.. Back to the story.. I took this lady over to the area she was suppose to be in so that she was no longer in my face and as I went to leave I politely said "Mrs. Olson you have a lovely weekend" and she said .. "Oh wait, I want to say one more thing to you" and she comes up to me and says "please don't ever go to a theme park with a bikini top on" I WAS LIKE WHAT???? and just said Thank you and have a good day..

Being the better person I just walked away from the situation.. however, I was thinking later if I did not need to job that lady would have gotten a face full of fat ha ha.. If she only knew the things I did to change my weight.. and one day I will be skinny, but she will always be ugly.. and when I am skinny you can be assured I will go to that theme park with a bikini top on and walk right up to her and say " Oh hi Mrs. Olson, remember me? I am that "fat" girl you told not to wear an outfit like this.. SO BLAH!!

I was mad at myself for allowing this lady to bother me so much that I almost did not work out tonight.. I took every ounce of my energy to get my a$$ outside and walking and by the end of my 6.5 miles I did tonight I was thankful I had the will power to not allow someone so rude to ruin my routine and bring me down to her level. I will use her comments as a will and drive to keep going.. Along with the few others who have said something to me...

I hope to all of you who have experienced a similar situation that you just take strength from those experiences and know you are doing better for yourself...

Best wishes everyone :w00t:

First I want to say CONGRATULATIONS!!! Your weight loss is super-fantastic. I totally understand where you are coming from. I don't know why people are so rude. It will get under your skin but you handled it so well. Lot better than I would have I think. I only wish I could have been so calm. There are some people I rather not discuss weight with. I work out hard everyday so I know how you feel. I glad that you didn't let that rude person interfere with your workout. You might get to see that lady again one day after you lose the rest of your weight and hopefully you'll get to say to her what you wish you could have said.

Keep up the good work and don't let ignorant people spoil your journey.

This is about improving your health and your life.

Concentrate only on YOU. I wish you much success on your weight loss journey. I am really proud of you.

I feel your pain. And as hard as it is you have to blow these people off and realize they are far worse off. Sadly we can't sew a band around their mouth and give them good restriction. oh but if we could!!!!

I was raised to respect my elders and I typically take the high road when insulted. I have a very vivid memory of a comment that was made when i was in jr. high. Two of my very old great aunts told me that they had seen me walking home from school with another girlfriend of mine and they were trying to figure out which one of us was fatter. They used those exact words. which of us girls was fatter. I was absolutely crush. and I felt that i had to just sit there and remain silent because anything i would have said would have clearly been disrespectful. i will never forget that moment.

I think one of the common factors in our stories is that the "insulter" was old. I prayer that i never loose the filter between my head and my mouth like some people do as they age.

Hang in there

Hang in there girl! You are doing fantastic! Sometimes people are just so miserable themselves, they feel the need to make others around them miserable too. And you're right, you can lose weight, but she'll always be ugly...inside and out! :frown:

Sorry to hear that you have to hear this. It's amazing how some people don't have filters, can't control their mouth.

To bad you couldn't say back, if you promise you won't wear one either!!

Congrats on being healthier...HUGS!!

Hang in there girl! You are doing fantastic! Sometimes people are just so miserable themselves, they feel the need to make others around them miserable too. And you're right, you can lose weight, but she'll always be ugly...inside and out! :w00t:

What she said! :frown:

Best of luck to you! You are doing a great job!!

TPG

I think one of the common factors in our stories is that the "insulter" was old. I prayer that i never loose the filter between my head and my mouth like some people do as they age.

Totally! It's like they're thinking out loud. Um, we can hear you! My husbands Nana said loudly at a family gathering, "here's another two people who've put on weight", about my brother-in-law & his wife. Her own grandson. They drove for 2 days to get there & it was no, "hi, great to see you". And they were only a little overweight, certainly not obese either! How rude. My mother-in-law anounced loudly to the whole chinese restaurant, on my birthday dinner, in front of my parents, husband, little daughter & friends, "Oh, you wont be able to eat all that, you'll have to take half of it home!" All our meals were brought out, & mine was no bigger than anyone elses. :frown:

Some people absolutely floor me with their comments & questions. I'm usually so thrown by their audacity & complete lack of social skills, that I'm tongue tied. I've practiced a few combacks to help. If they ask a too personal question, I reply, why do you want to know that? or I prefer not to discuss very personal matters with people other than close family & friends. or that's a bit nosy, don't you think? (with a smile). Or 'it's not very intersting dinner conversation, what do you do?' Answer their question with a question about them. If they don't get a clear message, then be blunt!

Thanks everyone.. I felt much better after my exercise and shower and venting and sleeping ha ha :frown: I woke up this morning as the same me.. who cares about Mrs. Olsen .. I have a fantastic life and a supportive family and a loving son so I don't have to worry about what some little old lady thinks of me :w00t: We all rock.. We have all come a long way.. Just choosing our journey is a difficult one and that fact that we are so successful on it shows what amazing people we are :tt1: Thanks again everyone.. I hope you all have a good weekend!!

meschultz, you are an inspiration. I am just starting out so it's so cool to see others who've lost so much weight. Screw what that old bat says. You've done an amazing job already and you will be in that bikini top someday, probably looking better than she EVER did and probably in better shape than she EVER was. Living well is the best revenge after all.

Next time someone says something uncomplimentary about your weight, just give them a blank stare and say, "Why would you say that?"

I don't have ANY idea why people think they can just open their mouths and say whatever they want. I would just suggest don't give them the satisfaction of a response when they do make comments.

I would cry. Not because I'd be hurt in any way (because let's face it, we've all pretty much worked up a thick skin on this topic), but because I can. She's expecting that you're just going to shut up and take it like the good little fat girl you are becasue we all know that the fat girls have no feelings. Work up a good bawl and watch her squirm. Sure, it's passive aggressive to make her feel like crap because she made you cry, but she isn't exactly playing fair either. Make her look like a tool in public, go ahead, you have my permission.

People are just absolutely ridiculous are they?

I can't believe the nerve of some ppl...wait a minute yes I can I worked in a hospital too...but its not just the pts coworkers are bad too...I dont know what it is about hospitals...lol

Keep your head up you're doing fabulous....

I had my great grandfather say something like that to me right before he died actually a little worse(he was in his right mind, he was the kind of person who thought he would say whatever the crap he wanted his motto was im 98 I dont give a shit) ...I didnt go to his funeral...(wellI barely knew him) but that really really is what motivated me to have surgery and lose weight...so now I go to his grave and tell him how rude he was but thank him for motivating me so much! SO let these assholes be your motivator and keep rockin!!!