Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Port Flips, Surgery, and Recovery. Questions!

:smile2:I love my band! We all say it, right? I was banded in November of 2007, and so far I have managed to lose 80 pounds. No I am not rock star thin, but I am no longer going to die of morbid obesity. :w00t:<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

<o:p> </o:p>

I might love my band, but currently I am not feeling so hot about my port; neither is my doctor. Here’s why, my port decided to flip. Yeah I know; how rude! :mad2:I am looking on the bright side: I get a vacation in the O.R.!<o:p></o:p>

My doctor is going to cut a 3” incision where my port is currently, move it, and sew it to a muscle. (My port was not sewed to a muscle the first time.)<o:p></o:p>

I am wondering if you know what I can expect with this type of revision surgery (Cut, move port, and sew port to muscle.) <o:p></o:p>

What is the recovery time?<o:p></o:p>

How does the pain compare to the lapband surgery, or is it a cake walk?<o:p></o:p>

I want to stress that I hate pain. When I was originally banded it felt like I had been kicked in the stomach by a horse. Will it be kind of like that?<o:p></o:p>

Any feedback will be appreciated. I am trying to figure out how much time to take off of work. I don’t want to over do it.<o:p></o:p>

Congrats on the weight loss! I didn't make it quite that far before I had major problems with him accessing the port. I had my port revised last month. I was in WAY less pain than the first surgery. It was mostly localized to the site where he put the port in. I was able to get out of bed on my own and do most things, just a little more slowly and no bending or lifting, of course. I took it easy for about 3 days, then back to work. I barely had to take the pain meds at all. The incision actually healed better than the last one! I wish you luck with everything! I was really nervous about it, almost more nervous than with the first surgery because I had lost hope with everything, but now I am super excited for a fresh start!

Congrats on the weight loss! I didn't make it quite that far before I had major problems with him accessing the port. I had my port revised last month. I was in WAY less pain than the first surgery. It was mostly localized to the site where he put the port in. I was able to get out of bed on my own and do most things, just a little more slowly and no bending or lifting, of course. I took it easy for about 3 days, then back to work. I barely had to take the pain meds at all. The incision actually healed better than the last one! I wish you luck with everything! I was really nervous about it, almost more nervous than with the first surgery because I had lost hope with everything, but now I am super excited for a fresh start!

Thank you for getting back to me! WHEW... I was thinking about it this afternoon and I was remembering that the port area kind of having the feeling of a horse kicking me in the stomach, or having the wind being knocked out of me. Is that similar to what I can expect? I am getting the surgery done on a Wednesday. My husband is a 'worry-wort' and he thinks that I will need to have some TLC. I don't want him to take time off of work if it won't be that bad. I will feel kind of silly. What would you recommend?

I would say have someone there to help out the first day, but then I was able to do for myself, my Mom didn't even have to spend the night to help out! I was able to sleep without pain for the most part and I was able to sleep on my side much more quickly.

Just curious travelinsnorkel- Do you have the lap-band or the realize band?

I have one question for you Travel did your doctor have to sew your port into your muscle when he/she moved it? How big was the scar that was left behind from the move?