Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Really frustrated- hardly any restriction

Ok so I was banded on May 20, 2009 and to date I have lost 51 pounds which I am very happy with. However, I feel like I am doing this all on my own without any help from the band at this point. I had my 3rd fill last Thursday and the surgeon was even hesitant to do it because I've been losing so well. But he put in .5 cc. The problem is, I feel like I have no restriction whatsoever. I could probably eat about 2 times more than what the band allows. I am hungry all day and nothing really seems to fill me up. I've explained this to the surgeon, but he won't do anything again until my next appointment which is in the end of October. I am so frustrated and depressed about this, I've cried quite a bit this week. I feel like my band just isn't working for me so far and my surgeon really isn't listening to my concerns. I just wanted to post on here because my motivation alone can only take me so far right now, I'm not giving up, but I just feel at this stage, kind of regretful. I know the band will sooner or later work for me, but right now, I feel just like I did on Weight Watchers. Just wanted to see if anyone has gone through the same thing. Thanks for listening.

A lot of people feel that way- it is called Bandster Hell and it is the point you are at until you find the sweet spot. Hang in there- it will get better. My doc is aggressive with fills- had 2 cc during surgery and 4 cc's at first fill at one month.

Thanks for the reply...I was under the impression that Bandster hell was when you hadn't reached restriction AND weren't losing weight...I guess I was wrong about that. I am losing weight, so that's a good thing. Just really uspet because I don't think I can go 2 more months like this.

I feel exactly the same way. I am losing very nicley. 62 lbs since pre-op liquids on 5/18/09. I have had no fills, I can eat anything I want. Not as much as I used to, but a pretty good quantity.

I feel like I am doing this on my own. I can deal with the hunger pretty easily. I don't feel like I am doing this the "Normal" way, but I guess if it has worked so far, then who cares.

Glad to hear I'm not alone, but sorry for your experience. How come your doctor hasn't given you any fills?

It must very very frustrating for you that your surgeon won't give you the fill you need because you are losing weight by dieting.

You are in a no win situation because you had the band to lose weight and you don't want to deliberately not lose just to get the fill you need.

My surgeon has always listened to me and even though I have lostweight I have been given a fill each time I have asked for one.

End of October seems like a long wait for an appointment with no restriction. Can you not ask for an earlier one?

Best of luck to you, hope your surgeon starts taking notice of what you are telling him and you get the fill you need to make your band work.

Sue

(Banded November 08 weight 260lbs, Aug 09 weight 149lbs)

I'm right with you...i'm down 51.9lbs. today from May 26. I workout 5 days a week and in the gym for a min. of 90 mins at a time..i'm loosing weight because of the gym.not my band...lol...i have this tool and i want to work with it..but i have no restriction anymore (i did post op)...i can easily eat a 6 inch sub from subway...i'm hungry and choose my food carefully,but i want restriction now! lol..i go down mid sept. for my second fill..and then again first week in nov. for my 6month follow up,so i'm going to ask for a .5cc now,and then see how that works..i have to fly 40mins to see my surgeon so i'm afraid to get overfilled...

It must very very frustrating for you that your surgeon won't give you the fill you need because you are losing weight by dieting.

You are in a no win situation because you had the band to lose weight and you don't want to deliberately not lose just to get the fill you need.

My surgeon has always listened to me and even though I have lostweight I have been given a fill each time I have asked for one.

End of October seems like a long wait for an appointment with no restriction. Can you not ask for an earlier one?

Best of luck to you, hope your surgeon starts taking notice of what you are telling him and you get the fill you need to make your band work.

Sue

(Banded November 08 weight 260lbs, Aug 09 weight 149lbs)

First of all, let me congratulate you on your amazing weight loss! Also, I have asked him about another fill and he said I had to wait at least another month before he'd even consider it.:thumbup:

I'm right with you...i'm down 51.9lbs. today from May 26. I workout 5 days a week and in the gym for a min. of 90 mins at a time..i'm loosing weight because of the gym.not my band...lol...i have this tool and i want to work with it..but i have no restriction anymore (i did post op)...i can easily eat a 6 inch sub from subway...i'm hungry and choose my food carefully,but i want restriction now! lol..i go down mid sept. for my second fill..and then again first week in nov. for my 6month follow up,so i'm going to ask for a .5cc now,and then see how that works..i have to fly 40mins to see my surgeon so i'm afraid to get overfilled...

wow, ok so we're in the same boat. Sorry that you are going through the same thing. I guess all we can do right now is just continue doing what we're doing and hope for the best. Good luck with your next fill. :thumbup:

Carrie - it really stinks that you doctor isn't listening to the fact that you have no restriction and feel like you're doing this on your own. When you do go for a fill - hopefully he'll do it under flouroscopy so he can tell when you are getting restriction and perhaps get you to a place where it's easier for you.

Congratulations on your amazing weight loss! It's amazing you have been able to do all this on your own! Keep a positive attitude and continue to do what you're doing. The end result will be the same, but man is it a test to get there!

emjay thanks so much for your kind words! I am glad I made this thread because I'm starting to feel a bit better. ANd that's a great idea about the fill, I will mention that to my doctor! Thanks again! Congrats on your weight loss!