Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Somewhat superficial question...

I'm 22 and I'm set up for surgery on this Friday. Freaking out a bit because I truly cannot stand hospitals but that's another story.

Physically speaking there are changes that occur when you gain weight (I'm female btw so this is really directed only at other girls), your breasts get heavier, may or may not get stretch marks, etc.

I was told by a few people that because I'm young, and my skin still has a lot of elasticity, that once I've lost the weight I won't be "saggy" or "droopy" but I'm kind of afraid that may not be true. I'm terrified I'll finish up the long road of losing 100+ pounds, only to start another extremely expensive road of reconstructive surgery to fix whatever my weight has done to me.

I'm wondering what other girls around my age have experienced once they've lost the weight. Did things just get nice and normal looking with exercise? Did you need to get surgery? What's the scoop kids.

:blushing: I love your upbeat attitude.

Well, this will not be the answer you wanted, but I'm going to say it anyway. It depends. On genetics. On how FAST you lose. On how reliable you are with exercise. On how well you have taken care of your skin in the past and how well you take care of it during loss (no sun damage, moisturize, etc). So on and so forth.

That being said...I'm down a total of like 65 lbs so far, would like to lose another 35. The majority of my weight was gained in my thighs/butt/hip area. And yes...it's starting to look a lil droopy. I don't think it's realistic to think your skin is going to look the same as somebody that was never overweight. When I get down to size, I would adore a LBL.

But you might get more of an idea of the skin changes by perusing the plastic surgery forum. :w00t:

I was 27 when I got the surgery, btw...29, now. So I had a good 5 years on you.

I think its more to do with your particular genetics than it is to do with age. I've seen bellies completely ruined by pregnancy that belong to women in their early 20's and ones that bounce back like mine did when I was 35.

Yet my boobs are a train wreck, but they were saggy when I was normal weight in my teens, so that was always likely.

It can all be fixed up later, truly, the first thing to focus on is getting the weight off.

I'm 19 and 85lbs down and my stomach is a bit droopy, but honestly I'm ok with it, I'll see how it goes another 50 lbs from now when I'm at goal. And it's taken me a year to drop 85lbs so not too drastic. I was really scared too at first but once you start losing the weight, that skin don't mean shit :blushing: lol

I'm down 50 and don't have any drooping and/or loose skin! Knock on wood...

I do workout 3 times a week, cardio and weight training! That may have something to do with it as well as my age! I'm 22.

I would still like to lose another 50 so hopefully I will continue to be lucky and everything will stay in place! :blink:

I'm 22 and I've lost 148lbs. It all depends on genetics and where you store your weight. As for my boobs I've gone from a 42DD to a 36C so my boobs aren't very perky. I got lucky with my stomach and don't have much loose skin there but my arms and my thighs are TERRIBLE! but I did keep most of my weight in my thighs.