Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

should_be_working!!

Hi Sally,

How did the surgery go? I hope you are feeling well and happy it is all over like me... I had a hiatal hernia repair (which I need to look up) and he removed some scar tissue from a past gall bladder operation. Still feel good... luckily. I wonder if more pain will kick in tomorrow? Time will tell...

Take care and let us know how it went when you have a chance!!

Katie

Hey Sally,

Arent you glad it's all over? Hoping you're healing well and relaxing at home !!!

Kate...how r u feeling? I bet you thought it was gonna be worse than it actually turned out to be right ??

Thanks, Ladies. My surgery wasn't until 2:40 yesterday so I didn't get into a room until 7. My DH picked me up at 11 this morning. I also ended up with a hiatal hernia repair. My ribs really hurt (from that?). I was sleeping horizontally this afternoon and woke up gagging. I had taken my pain meds with Water and I guess I either swallowed too much water or laid down too soon. I'm back to a sitting position now, hoping that the reflux will pass. I wish I could fast forward a couple of days.

im sure i can speak for everyone when i say... "everyday gets better" you will see :thumbup:

Sally,

I truly know how you feel today!! It really hurts when I get up and down. I imagine each day will be better. :thumbup:

Like me I am sure you are glad it is over... now we're on the other side. Its all down hill (on the scale) from here!!:crying:

I got up last night to walk around a little bit, hoping to get rid of some gas. The gas seems to want to work it's way up rather than down. I got the dry heaves and sat retching over a trash can for a couple of minutes. I ended up sleeping in a sitting position because of the reflux. I had another, shorter episode this morning and called the doctor. I'm waiting on a call back. I've only been able to ingest 16 oz. of Water and a sugar free popsicle since yesterday at noon. I'm worried about band slippage from the heaving and dehydration from not being able to get fluids down without them wanting to come back up. I got the realize band so no fill was done right away. I guess this is just from swelling?

Sally,

I'm glad you called the doctor...

Did he give you a prescription for Pepcid or something like that? My doctor wants me to take two tablets a day for a month. I also took gas x strips starting last night. I felt like I wanted to burp and fart.. sorry if TMI!

Let me know what happens.....I'll be sending you positive thoughts!!

I specifically asked about something for gas when I was in the hospital and the doctor told me that the gas is way down in your colon and that phazyme (sp?) is not effective for that. He stressed moving around as the only real way to work it out. But the gas pressure that I am feeling is up high. It's much more of a needing to burp feeling. And, unfortunately, every little burp feels like it's going to be the start of something more. I wish that he'd prescribed liquid meds b/c the pills feel like they're getting hung up. I used a pill cutter and have been taking them in halves instead of whole. The doctor did call in a prescription for an anti-nausea med. My DH is going to pick it up now.

It's only day 2 after the surgery, right? Tomorrow will be better and the next day even more so. I just need to focus on that.

Hi Sally,

I've had that burp feeling too...but I feel like I don't want to burp too deep.. that is how I feel anyway. I got liquid painkillers, Lortab, tastes nasty but I suck it up for pain. Although I think I am going to try to not take it for the rest of the day and see how I do. I am taking Gas X strips too.. I know what you mean though as there is two types of gas, the internal gastric gases but then you are feeling pain up in your shoulders from the CO2 they pumped inside you that a lot of people feel. I have heard walking helps that. You will be fine.... It is just day two as you said.... take it easy and tomorrow will be a much better day!!:w00t: Soon we'll be the folks that tell everyone else that it was all worth it!!!! :w00t:

Hey Sally,

Day 2 & 3 where the worst for me and that when the nasueau really kicked in !! They prescribed me something for the naseau that worked wonders but the gas there was nothing to do but walk and walk and walk !! honestly it took a full 9 days before I felt like my old gassless self !! :frown: But trust me once you get over that hump you feel fantastic !! I'm almost 3 weeks post op and feeling like a million bucks !! :tt1: It's all a bit strange how I have to work to really get in the calories cause once I take about 5 bites of whatever not hungry anymore..it's bizzare but awesome!!

And about the farts..dont worry about it, my husband actually made it a game to see how many I could get out in an hour !! LMAO I know TMI !!! :w00t:

the gas will get better.. but it does take a couple of days... gas x really dont work much.. i took them but they really didnt give me relief... moving around... and walking really was the only trick. I had it all in my chest and in my shoulder and neck... Burping and farting didnt start until like day four for me. I feel like im still gassy...lol and it will be three weeks tomorrow :frown: