Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

one year later-gained weight and ready for a new attitude

Well I got my lapband one year ago in August of 2008. I am one of the rare ones who have not lost any weight with band. In fact, today I am heavier than when I started by a few pounds. I got my 1st fill in 9/08 and it gave me good restriction - almost too much. I pretty much stuck to eating Soup, salad and yes, lots of Cookies and ice cream (I wasn't ready to let go of emotional eating). I did lose 16 pounds which was not the huge amount I hear from others but still it was a loss which is always good. Finally, in 4/09 - I was sick of my limited diet and PBing and spitting up all the time and eating too much sugar. I got an unfill and suddenly could eat everything I had been denied for the last 8 months. Well, since April (4 months) I gained 20 pounds so now I am +4 from bf I got the band. I went to get another fill last week to stop this trend. I just feel so heavy and gross right now. Unfortunately, I think I am going to have to go back again bc I can tell I still do not have enough restriction. :(. My fill center is 2 hours away and I am a single mom to two kids so that is why it is so hard for me to get fills. I am not giving up. I really want this surgery to be a success but is tough for me. I see all these mind blowing weight loss numbers on this board and I get down thinking why do I have to be the one person on the planet who is not losing with a lap band. I know I need to get my head in the game and stop thinking that the band should work on it's own. Thanks for listening!

Well make your appointment, go get that fill, get back on track!!!! Remember you didn't get the LB and go through everything you went thru to get it not to utilize it in helping you lose weight.

Good luck!

Yes, get a fill. The lap band requires maintenance or it won't work. May I also suggest a therapist to help with what you call "emotional" eating? You may think you don't have the time, but a little attention now can save you a world of grief down the road, and eventually give you more life. Remember the band is a TOOL, not a solution. Just like a hammer never did a thing without a person swinging it, you need to work your lap band for it to work for you. Good luck finding your way to that place!

Hugs for your struggles ...

We all are food addicts - it's our drug of choice and just like a drug addict can relapse so can we - We just need to pull up those bootstraps and try again - it may take a few time of falling of the wagon for you to realize this .

They banded our tummies not our heads and that's where the majority of our problems lie..

I can be physically full and still want to eat and I mean that even though my stomach if full my body is craving it's drug (food) and it wants more...

Our band's don't make our food choices - we do.. As you said even with restriction you ate around your band.. Did you think in the back of your mind that the band was going to do the work and you really wouldn't have to.

Our bands are only tools -they aren't about dieting - they are they to help us feel full on a smaller amount of food - you can't look at this as a diet it's about changing our eating habits and getting physical activity.. You have to realize that our normal eating is what got us fat in the 1st place.

Your sweet spot should be where you can eat at least 1 cup of food per meal - following the band rules - Protein 1st - veggies then if any room starches - tiny bites, chew very well and eat slowly. If you are following the rules and pbing you are too tight - you need to be able to eat or you are going to eat around it..

I know that some pple like being so tight that they can barely eat - they think that not eating is the answer - well its not IMHO.

You have to be able to eat real food meat veggie starches - You have to find the balance between getting enough food physically and mentally..

As I said - you make your food choices not the band - it's not the magic cure to our issues with food - it takes work and will power - I say I have done 75% of the work by choosing to eat healthy and exercising - and my band did the other 25% by providing restriction..

Please go and talk to your doctor - explain whats going on - does he have a nutritionist you can talk with and like restless said - I would consider seeing a counselor to help with emotional eating..

Wishing you success

Get the fill, get back on track, and use the tool you've been given!!:o

If you are ever too tight, a slight unfill is a MUST! I stuck it out for nearly two months being too tight because I was so afraid of getting and unfill and gaining weight. During that two months, I had a 5 week plateau where I went back and forth between the same 2 pounds because I simply was not able to take in enough calories. Long story short, .4 of a cc later unfilled, and I am back on the losing wagon (3.2 pounds last week!)

Best of luck to you, OP!

Lisa