Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What are normal symptoms after surgery

I was just banded on Mon. Aug. 17, on the 18th I felt pretty good, but today I feel bloated and sore and have a gurgley stomach. Now I am scared I did to much yesterday and did something to the band. :biggrin: I am just going to stay in the recliner today and walk around a little bit.

Some symptoms for me were the same, gurgly stomach, gas and sore across the torso. I slept in the recliner for about a week than laid on my right side. I was getting a pain right under my ribs for a while, kinda like my belly was swollen and knocking my ribs. After a call to the doc of course he points out the obvious...I was constipated. Milk of Magnesia is awesome stuff. You just don't think about Constipation at times like this, lol.

I know when you are feeling good it is easy to forget you just had surgery. Try not to overdo things just yet. I'm sure you are fine.

i just got banded on Friday the 14th. I feel pretty good other than being a litte sore...mostly when I get up and walk around I have a burning sensation around my port incision...

I feel the same way. I think that there is a lot of gas in my intestines cause I can feel and hear the gurgling when I lay down. I've been doing a lot of walking and it is helping.

My only question is, how much liquid should be be drinking at one sitting. I try to sip, sip, sip, but when it comes to my Soup I have several teaspoonfulls and then stop since I'm afraid to stretch the pouch.

I was banded on Aug. 12, 2009, and I still have that same sounds sometime. I was told by my RN that the gurgling noise is just your stomach adjusting to something new being placed inside of your body. I have notice that it is less now. I am still sore around the port area and stomach still swollen. I have a large bruise in an area of my stomach where there is no incision. Don't know why. I started walking the next day after surgery, which really helped with the gas pain in shoulder area. I am now up and walking at 5am 3 miles everyday. This has help me not to be so sore.

I was banded July 23 and really thought I'd bounce back and feel great. I was seriously "agitated" for about 4 days, and I think it was just the anethesia working its way out of my system. Gas really hurt my shoulder and above my rib cage. I walked, walked and walked. Because of the agitation, I couldn't sit still for long. Like others, I'd start to say, wow I feel pretty good, then a few hours later be a basket case. I also loathed the Liquid Protein, or even thinking about it. By a week out when I started to add Soup, things were getting much better. Also changing from shakes to the costco 25 g Protein Shots was a big help.

tell me more about the costco Protein Shots

I had surgery on August 13th, and the fourth day out was the worst. I felt great on the third day and went for a long car ride with my mom. This wasn't a good thing and I paid for it the next day. I had gas pain for the first couple days and then not again until last night. I think that I drank my Decaf tea too fast. Started on Protein Shakes just today (docs orders) and I hope to be getting more strength back. I have been walking for about 1.5 - 2 hours everday. It really helped with my gas pain. Good luck, the first week will hopefully go as fast for you as it did for me.

I was banded August 12th, and for the most part I feel wonderful! I am dealing with a little bit of Constipation, but that is the worst of it. I had gas pains for the first few days, but it helped that I walked a lot.

Leah

Hi, I was banded on August 17, so far i have the same symptoms as you, i call my dr and says that's normal i'm walking a little bit maybe two blocks only because i still feel weak, tomorrow start the full liquids diet and have the first app. for wednesday 26.

Heaviest weight 6 months ago 325/lbs

Weight before pre op diet 277 /lbs

Weight before surgery 261/ lbs.

weight.png

Edited by Akire20

tell me more about the costco Protein shots

Yes, do tell! I'm interested in this also.

DH was banded on Monday, August 17th. He is still in alot of pain. He is working, I don't know how. I have to drive him around as he is still on the pain meds. For a guy who wouldn't take a tylenol for pain, he counts down to his next time he can take a pain killer. I see from his grimacing face when he stands up that he is definitely in pain. I hope his pain subsides soon.

Someone mentioned they felt agitated for a couple of days, I'm glad you posted that. I noticed that dh usual easy going personality was not so easy going:ohmy:

I was also banded on the 17th,today I am feeling pretty good. I am on clear liquid diet and can only have 3oz at each meal, today is the first day I can say I am starving,so what kind of diet is everyone else doing? Am getting tired of chicken broth am just looking for some different ideas.