Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Lap Band Patients in Their 20's

I was wondering if there were anyone soon-to-be bandsters in their 20's? What has been your experience thus far? Have you shared the news with most people? When is your surgery date? What are some of your goals? etc...

This site is very resourceful but just looking for people around my age who have are going through this life change!

Hope you hear from you all soon!!! :)

Thanks for the info!

Hello Mia, I am 27 years old and was banded on 7-29-09 so its going to be 3 weeks on wednesday. I have been feeling great. I was in a little pain and discomfort the 1st week but bounced back pretty quickly. I dont feel the restriction yet get my 1st fill on 8-26-09 and am looking foward to it. I do get hungry pretty often but stick to low carb high Protein diet. I do need to eat foods which are high in Fiber. I do tell close friends and everyone in my family knows what I had done. I have lost 15 lbs so far post op. my goal is to try and loose 15-20 lbs a month. I do work out 5-7 days a week at least 30 min on the elliptical. well keep in touch and let me know if you should have any additional questions.

Hi Mia, I'm 26 and should have a surgery date scheduled by this afternoon!

My family has been extremely supportive of my decision, to the point where they're already planning a shopping spree for new clothes at Christmastime. I've had to reign in their expectations a little.

My goal is to lose around 125 pounds, but more certainly wouldn't hurt. Most people are surprised that I have so much weight to lose. I suppose I am a very dense person or something, or maybe I just don't look my weight. Or maybe they're just being nice. :(

I have talked to my co-workers about the surgery, mostly because I have to explain the entire week I will have to take off. I work in the IT department, and I am the only girl among five guys! But they are supportive and understanding. They miss me when they all go out to lunch, but I promised them that after I get past the post-op diet, I can go out with them again.

I'm currently on the pre-op diet, which consists of Protein shakes and a light low carb dinner. It's been hard to be creative with my cooking, but it will get easier with time.

Nice to meet you Mia, and good luck with your journey! I'm heading over to the Twenties board to check it out.

Edited by thecooley
spelling

Hey The Cooley!

I am on day 3 of my 14 day pre-op Optifast and let me just say I am struggling! I hear it gets better after day 4 so I'm very hopeful!!

I haven't shared my decision with alot of people. A couple of friends and family members(2 aunts and my mom). Just had a wonderful conversation with my mom today and she is in full support of me (FINALLY) although she is still very nervous about the surgery.

Let me know when your surgery date gets confirmed!!!

Hey Vinny09! Congrats on the 15 lbs loss!!!! Wow you have the same weight loss goal as me. I hope to lose 15-20 per month as well! I'm also glad to hear that you recovered well from surgery!

When did you start working out again? My Doc is warning me not to get on the ellipical until 5-6 weeks out...

Please keep us posted on your progress!

Hey Mia i'm on my 8th day of the pre-op diet and let me tell you its been hard but i'm doing it. I had a problem keeping the Protein Shakes down so my surgeon told me to eat eggs instead. So far since I started the diet I have lost 14lbs and im super proud of myself. My surgery date is the 27th of this month...OMG I'M NERVOUS!!! Keep your head up hun you can do it and it will all be worth it in the end!!! Keep in touch and good luck with everything!!!

Oh Armywife2009 14 lbs is amazing! CONGRATS! Have you been working out as well? I want to get into the gym by Monday only if I have the energy (very weak right now on this liquid diet!)

Thursday will be here before you know it! GET EXCITED!!!!

I'm 25 and am still waiting to get to my surgery goal weight. I have a pretty strict surgeon. He wanted me to lose 84 lbs pre-op. I haven't heard of anyone else like this! I'm doing good so far, I expect to have surgery in Dec or Jan. Mia & Army Wife, congrats on your upcoming surgery dates!

like Heather, I had the same surgeon as her and I have to loose 32 lbs pre surgery...so far down alittle over 18...I expect to have Surgery in Dec/Jan as well.

Hi Mia :biggrin:

I am about to turn 27 on Friday (!!) and I'm scheduled for surgery on October 6. I have not told many people at all. My parents know (and my dad has decided to blab it to a few other family members, which I'm sort of mad about). I also told a few friends whom I work with. And one friend outside of work knows and they are all super supportive.

I don't know why I want to be so secretive about it. After reading the 20s, 30s, and 40s forums I notice a definite variance in the amount people are willing to share. I don't know why I am sort of mad at my dad for sharing it with family... I guess its just that I feel like a failure more than anything (just being honest).

I am in counseling and have been going weekly since before I even started the process for lap band surgery. I really think it helps me identify my feelings about it. It also helps that my therapist specializes in the pre and post-op weight loss surgery community.

So yeah, I'm with ya!

Hi everyone! Im 23 and am having my surgery sept. 2 (so mia me and you are right in there together) we will have to keep in touch for our questions and progress!!! I dont have to do anything as far is pre op is concerned..... I feel weird about that because everyone else does but I have been doing stuff anyway. Ive lost 15 lbs so far! but Im stuck at 15 so Im excited about next wed!!!

Ive have only told my mom dad and my sister. I havent even told the guy Im seeing because Im scared he will tell someone if we break up.....I know that sounds bad but I live in a small town and once its out its out. I go to school in st. louis but am from NC so I only get to go home every four months and I know if Im losing weight quickly and ppl only see me every once in a while it will look dramatic anyway and they will be asking questions so Im just staying as DL as possible! I cant wait to see how this goes for all of us!

Hey Startin 09! I am also seeking counseling as I go through this process. I am 26 and have never been "Skinny" or a "healthy size" so I want to keep reflecting with someone so I don't lose my identity through this journey.

YAY Mccall we're surgery twins! My mom is upset because I don't want to tell my brothers or father but I figure I will tell them once its over and I start seeing results. I live and work in MD but my hometown is in Chicago so when I go back for Christmas it will seem like a gradual weightloss for my friends and family. With you being from a small town I can see why your more hesitate to share with anyone...

Its not that I am ashamed of the procedure, I am just cautious of the ignorant people that have their negative opinions about the surgery and the people to choose to do it.

Let's keep each other posted!!!!

I am 29 and dont have a date yet. ECG is next week so I am think early October. I have lost 20 lbs since my weight loss seminar and hope to loose as much before the actual surgery date.

I have told a lot of people but I am a big mouth. I have told my family and close friends as well as coworkers. I work in a place with less than 20 people. Everyone has been very supportive and I wanted that same support in place after surgery.