Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slipped Band

So, in the beginning of my journey I loved my band. I lost most of my weight yes, Im grateful for the band. However lately I hate it. ( im bearing my true feelings right now) I wish I could revise my surgery to sleeve but cant. Im self pay. I have had problems in the past with my band being overfilled before not being able to swallow my own spit and lived through it ok. But at some point its becoming really nagging. This week really put the topper on the cake. Yes my band slipped. Went to Er because of severe reflux and got the bad news. Surgeon came in and wanted to do another upper gi ( i got diagnosed by cat scan) and said if it wasnt little, she would take me straight back into surgery to remove it. Thankfully it wasnt that bad, and she completely unfilled me and we will wait two weeks to SEE if it will settle back in place. if so great, ill get an endoscopy to check for ulcers and can start the fill process. if not then well, my band will be taken out. My Love Hate relationship. Funny I dont want to lose it, i just wish all the complications would go bye bye. I miss so much work because of it. Anyway really, I just needed to vent. Im scared to get my hospital bill because im self pay and its not covered my insurance and they admitted me overnight for observation. All this right after we get our bankruptcy discharged. Maybe one day ill love my band again Its done wonders for me. but for now. I hate it.

I can empathize with both of you. The Radiologist says mine has slipped, the doctors say they will decide tomorrow. All of my saline was removed and my appetite came back with a vengence. I don't qualify for a sleeve because I have lost too much weight and I can't imagine living w/o my band. I am so afraid of getting fat again. It is an emotional time for all of us.

Best wishes to you both for a happy healthy outcome.

Mimi

Hello everyone, i am new here and was wondering how your band slipped, did it slip on its own, was it not sutered to your stomach? I am very scared of band slippage, so any help any things I can do to prevent this would be appreciated. Hope everything works out for all of you and you are feeling back to normal as soon as possible.

Wow we are in the same boat. I too worry about being fat again. I guess what is done is done. For the person who asked why. I dunno. But my stomach entered up through the band. I'm not real hungry yet but imsure I will be soon.

All of my saline was removed and my appetite came back with a vengence.

same here - well i have 1.5ccs, the whole fill wasn't removed (had been at 7.2ccs).

my band did not slip - but i had a cold that turned into a chest infection & i developed an aspiration cough & acid reflux at night.

test just showed that i was 'swollen' around the band.....so a small unfill was done, and 4 days later much more taken out when i didn't have any improvement.

that was 2 wks ago & have since gained 6lbs back......that's about all i can deal with as i had lost 11 fast being sick - so controlling my appetite right now is of main importance.

i've been maintaining for over a yr now between 125-130lbs - today, i'm back up to 124.....i go back on the 24th for another barium test & hopefully ease back into a fill.

feel like at square one - but got my fingers crossed; for ya'll too!

Hello everyone, i am new here and was wondering how your band slipped, did it slip on its own, was it not sutered to your stomach? I am very scared of band slippage, so any help any things I can do to prevent this would be appreciated. Hope everything works out for all of you and you are feeling back to normal as soon as possible.

I just found out about 3 weeks ago that mine has slipped. Yes, it was sutured to my stomach but now it's about half-way unstitched so not completely slipped. They removed all Fluid & I go back in a few weeks to see if it may have went back in place. I'll probably have to have surgery again. The doctor didn't give me a reason as to the slip. I was a very good patient. Stuck to my after surgery diet almost to a tee. Never even had a sip of coke. I think my band had got a little tight & I had a bad month of reflux & night-time coughing. I think that did it for me. My advice would be to not live with a tight band. I'd rather lose slowly slowly than to have a slip. I am so hungry now. I have gained at least 15 pounds since they took the Fluid out.

Thanks, LuluC. I will keep my fingers crossed for you, too. I am trying to not eat more than a bandster, but it is hard. Let us know how you do.

Mimi

All I have to say is DANG, you kicked butt losing your weight in less than a year. I thought I was doing pretty good til I saw how much you lost. Congrats on the weight loss, sorry to hear of you slippage.

So, in the beginning of my journey I loved my band. I lost most of my weight yes, Im grateful for the band. However lately I hate it. ( im bearing my true feelings right now) I wish I could revise my surgery to sleeve but cant. Im self pay. I have had problems in the past with my band being overfilled before not being able to swallow my own spit and lived through it ok. But at some point its becoming really nagging. This week really put the topper on the cake. Yes my band slipped. Went to Er because of severe reflux and got the bad news. Surgeon came in and wanted to do another upper gi ( i got diagnosed by cat scan) and said if it wasnt little, she would take me straight back into surgery to remove it. Thankfully it wasnt that bad, and she completely unfilled me and we will wait two weeks to SEE if it will settle back in place. if so great, ill get an endoscopy to check for ulcers and can start the fill process. if not then well, my band will be taken out. My Love Hate relationship. Funny I dont want to lose it, i just wish all the complications would go bye bye. I miss so much work because of it. Anyway really, I just needed to vent. Im scared to get my hospital bill because im self pay and its not covered my insurance and they admitted me overnight for observation. All this right after we get our bankruptcy discharged. Maybe one day ill love my band again Its done wonders for me. but for now. I hate it.

I haven't been on here in a long time, but wanted to offer you some compassion and support. I had my band 1.5 years ago and did really well with it. My doc was pretty conservative w/my fills and only once was I overfilled. A couple of months ago I started experience extreme reflux. It was awful! Always at night. I went and got an unfill and it got better. Than a month after that, the reflux started again. I would wake up in the morning (after a night of misery) and would feel like a cesspool of acid was just sitting in my pouch. I would lean over the toilet and PROJECTILE vomit the contents. I went and got a complet unfill. I felt better for a few days, then it all kicked in again. My doc sent me to get an x-ray and two hours later he called and admitted me to the hospital. The next morning I had surgery. My situation was unique in that the cause of my slip was due to excessive scar tissue that repositioned the band and caused adhesions and an obsturction. The repostioned band was also pushed up against my liver! My doc replaced my band which I am very grateful for. I have to do the same post op diet which seems weird a year and half later. I'm VERY lucky to have such a great doc and am happy to have a new band. Although I'm almost at my goal weight, I appreciate the band as a tool. I realize my situation may be a little different, but I'm glad I've had the experience of the last year and half to ensure that my band continues to work for me. Trust me, there have been days when I wish I didn't have it! I wish you the best of luck!!

I'm really sorry you're going through this. I remember you from when I got my band...I think you're the lady who chewed gum and got it stuck? :)

Anyway I don't mean this to be "finger-pointy" or playing a blame game. But I was digging around trying to find the gum post and I "found" a couple things.

1 You did generally follow your post op diet but your doc was very aggressive in that you were allowed yogurt consistency foods from the start. That's not common...many say Clear liquids for at least a week. I wonder if that, while "docs orders" didn't set you up for a slip? AND

2. I found a post by you at just under 3 weeks out where you'd eaten prime rib etc...and you were supposed to be on the full liquids for a month. So you ate ahead of your already fairly lax diet.

I KNOW you didn't do this to hurt yourself and I'm not implying you willfully screwed up!

BUT since my doc says most slips are caused by advancing a diet too quickly, for newbies who might read this, I wonder if that didn't set you up for problems down the line?

Again chicaman1 I am not meaning this to be pissy to you; that totally isn't my point. However while some slips do just "happen", many are caused by something ... some action on our part or the part of the doc.

And some people just don't get along with the band (or vice versa, either)

But for those reading this...it is better to stick to your post op diet to the letter, find the best surgeon you can, starve before you eat food ahead of time. Like chicaman1 back in Sept of last year, you want to do right and be a success...don't let hunger get the best of you. It could come back to bite you later on, if you do. (again, I do NOT know that eating prime rib 3 weeks out, or having thinned chile 1 week out caused this. But we don't know that it didn't, either. A loosened stitch or two over time...can precipitate a slip)