Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone else NOT have to be on preop diet?

No preop diet here either. i am thinking it is probably done on an individual basis and your health condition.

My Doctor just requires a 3 day clear liquid diet with a light meal on day 1 and 2. Only Clear Liquids on day 3. He use to do a longer diet but said it wasn't really necessary.

Nope, my surgeon didn't require it. Just no food after 7 (I think) the night before. He felt it wasn't necessary in most cases, and it made it more difficult for people to stay on the post op diet, which he felt was much more important. He did require preop if he felt the person needed it due to weight or medical history, I believe.

I was told to start a mostly protein/low carb diet 2 weeks before and then all liquids the day before the surgery. I may have lost a pound or two so far, but I haven't exactly lowered my carb intake either...

hi

i didnt have a pre-op diet. i went to my doctor's seminar Wednesday night and had my surgery Friday morning. (obviously i was self-pay)

my doctor just asked me not to eat meat on thursday.

i probably wouldnt be banded if i needed to do some of the pre-op diets i've read on this site.

my doctor said "if you could do a pre-op diet and stay on it....why would you need the band?"....made sense to me :thumbup:

I don't understand the doctors who do not require pre-op diets. It is for your own good, it shrinks the liver making it less fatty so when they move it around during surgery it is not tore. No doctor is "that good" that they can't have these issues. Plus if you are serious about losing weight and following the post op diet why wouldn't you do a low calorie diet before hand? I lost 12 lbs on my 10 day pre-op diet and it just helped to kick start the rest of my weight loss...I am now 4 weeks out and down 23 lbs.

Good Luck!

I am not required to do a pre-op diet, though I will probably significantly reduce my food intake a few days prior to surgery, maybe liquids only the day before. I carry most of my weight in my lower abdomen, hips and thighs so the surgeon determined it wouldn't be a significant help for me to lose any amount of weight before hand.

i didn't do a pre-op diet but like a lot of other people had to follow a strict post op diet - liquids for 7 days, mushie for 7 days then regular foods. i was banded april 22nd and have lost about 60 pounds since then. i would recommend if you haven't had surgery, drink a TON of Water prior to surgery to fatten up your veins - i hated water before banding and they could hardly find any veins for the iv and had to stick me near my wrist - good luck to those waiting for their surgery!

I was told that I would do the pre-op diet for 10 days before surgery due to it shrinking my liver making the surgery go better. Gotta tell you,,, I've NEVER done even a day with liquids only unless I was sick,,, so to think for 10 days I have liquids only while I still have to cook for my family,,, it's going to be tough,,, I'm gonna have to put a picture of a liver on my fridge to keep my mind focused on the importance of it. Good luck to everyone having to do this!