Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Doc says no fill

Hey, does anyone out there have any instances of their doctor saying no fill, you don't need it? I was banded on 8-29-2005 and assumed I would be getting my first fill next week on 10-3-2005, but when the office asked about my weight loss, the nurse said "honey you don't need a fill, that's for when the weight loss stops or slows down alot." She advised me to cancel my appointment until later. This nurse was very kind and made it clear that I could see the doctor if I wanted to, but he would most likely not give a fill. She said not to be upset because this is a very good thing. One of the other nurses (an extremely successful bander with a baby) said the whole time during her weight loss phase she had only 1 fill! I could'nt believe it, she is 5'3 and weighs 130 lbs. She looks wonderful and said after her baby 19 months ago she again needed only one fill the whole time. I was under the impression that most people needed several fills the first year and regular fills afterward, does anyone know about these fills? I'm all for less visits, but one thing the nurse said sticks in my head-"the more you lose on your own, the better off you will be longterm." I just talked to her an hour ago, so it's still fresh and troublesome. I trust my doctor and his staff, they have been great, but I can't help but be troubled by the thought that needing fills is somehow wrong, it can't be, can it? Please read this and offer much needed advice.

Thank you,

Rose in Texas

banded 8-29-2005

Dr. Spivak Houston, Texas

If you are losing yet, you can wait to get a fill. I didn't get my first fill until 8 weeks after surgery. I'm sure several people who waited months to get their first fill will send you a response.

I wanted a little more fill last visit and the dr said no. Every time you get a fill, there is risk from infections and too much fill. I would err on the conservative side, especially if you are still losing.

Hi Rose,

THe general consensus among lapband docs is if you are losing 1-2 pounds a week as an average, you dont need a fill. I would like to add that if you are hungry between meals and struggling to make it to the next meal no matter how fast you are losing, you probably DO need a fill.

I have been denied fills twice in the last 2 years and 3 months. June 2005 - I wanted another .10. to finally get to goal. My doc said I was tight enough even though I was able to gulp down the barium. The second time was post op plastic surgery. I had nothing in my band and my doc gave me 1.00 CC and told me to come back in 2 months, knowing full well that 1.00 CC would not give me any restriction since before the surgery, I had 2.5 in my band. Its frustrating cause I dont understand the rationale of rationing fills for tenured patients that can handle the restriction and have never had any problems with their bands.

You are a new bandster and in principal your docs office is correct. If you feel hungry between meals , then you need to let them know this even if you are losing 1-2 pounds a week.

Babs in TX

334/180/170

I got my first fill last week and I was banded on July 8. You will appreciate it once your weight lost has slowed down. It will kickstart it again and it feels great to see those numbers go down on the scale.

You are eating less and controlling your weight without extra restriciton which is a wonderful thing.

My doctor had a patient ( a man of course) who didn't need a fill for almost a year. The band was such a mental jumpstart for him he did awesome with a fill.

Yesterday ReneBean aka "LeanBean" sent some very detailed and helpful directions, look on yesterdays posts or threads and see if you can print them. I am still trying to figure out how to enter some of the details that other banders are listing. Keep asking for help, there are other people more qualified to answer you than me. Good luck!

Rose in Texas

Rose, how are you doing now? Are you still concerned that you were not able to get a fill this week?

Included in Dr Spivak's post op instructions I got a page that was titled "5 types of adjustments". Even though I'm not banded yet (surgery in 2 days - Monday morning 10/10), the information it provides has helped me wrap my brain around all that I have learned.

I'm self pay and since the 1st year of adjustments are included in the fee, I naturally assumed I would get approx 2 fills during that time.

But, it absolutely makes sense that I should look at it as Jack states... his Dr crieteria is: "1) loosing weight; 2) how hungry?"

'Course, as I said, I'm not banded yet so I don't mean to "spout" knowledge... just a suggestion and a bit of information that I found helpful.

All the best,

i was banded in august of august 06. i have lost 100lbs as of today. started with 230lbs. however, i have never been adjusted, i have acid reflux every now and then but other than that i`m doing fine. why should someone get a fill if they are losing without any problems?

I wouldnt get a fill I didnt need, why would you? If you're losing well and its not killing you to dredge up the willpower to do so, then leave well enough alone I reckon. You'll know when its really time.

And I agree with the nurse, the more of this you can do on your own, the more you can feel that you've worked to change bad habits, not just had them controlled by the band. Which makes maintenance a more likely prospect. Keep in mind that most of us need a band because we DO need the extra help it gives us and most of us DO need to be filled eventually. But always always always keep working on your own behaviour and thought processes.

As long as you wont find you need a fill in six weeks from now and have to wait months to get to your doctor, I wouldnt fix what aint broke. But I can always get into my doc a few hours after ringing him, so that's easy for me to say.

I have gotten three fills. Probably did not really need the last one. I was really tight for a while. Now i have lost a couple of pounds and it is not so bad.I probably will not get any more fills for several months. PS if you are losing weight , your clothes get loose. Sorry can`t help myself, former teacher.

My last fill was in October. I missed November's. I still feel restriction, but since October I have lost 6 lbs. I think I need a fill. I live an hour away and it is hard for me to get off work. I just don't want to go and they say NO FILL! What do you think?

I get my fill based on how much I can eat. I've had 4 so far and wonder when my next is going to be. I'm not eating a lot right now, I am sliming every other day or so, I've now had 2 PB's (the last one was spectacular in the parking garage at work) and I'm not losing weight.

You have to listen to your own body and what it's trying to tell you. If you are HUNGRY then you probably need a fill. That's what I tell them when they tell me I'm still losing weight - I explain that it's only will power and that I'm HUNGRY so they give it to me :)

Good luck to you!

I'm a believer of getting fills when you need them, not by the calendar. I learned that the hard way, when I went for my first fill and was very excited to get it. But I had lost a bunch of weight.

It was explained to me that you get them when you need them, not just cuz.

Which is smart. I don't take pills just cuz....I got my first fill 6 months after banding and my second fill only last week, nearly 9 months out.

I know I need one when the weight stops moving and I can EAT...like eat an entire sandwich and still want more food.

Good luck.

I feel I can still eat. I try not to do any bread, just because. My Doc told me that she doesn't want me to (Diet) just eat normal.

3 bites of protien to one of other. I see everyone on here counting calories and so on. She said the goal is to eat a small amount of what ever I want. She said NO protien shakes unless I was tight.

Thank you for all your responses!