Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How long was it before you could exercise?

Just want to see I'm gonna have to ask my doc when I go for follow up so when did you guys start exercising?

week 2 week 3? And when I go back to my church cleaning job?

I think you would be able to start light exercise now as long as it doesn't involve lifting or anything too strenuous.

You might be able to do your church job as long as you don't lift more than whatever a gallon of milk weighs. My doctor said no lifting anything heavier than a gallon of milk for 4 weeks!

The whole lifting thing is going to be interesting for me this weekend when I move back to school... I see it taking forever lol.

You can always call and ask your doctor to be on the safe side. Every doctor has different rules.

yeah I'll call to make sure

My doctor told me that I could lift my child. He said he couldn't take away my Mommy duties. My son weighs 25 pounds. I hope he still says it's ok when it's all said and done.

I don't think my dr really said anything I can't remember he probably said something about the weight of milk cartons

I was allowed to walk all I wanted after surgery and at 4 weeks post-op I started working out at the gym.

Erin, I had surgery on Tuesday and went back to work on Friday. I'm a legal assistant and sit at my computer most of the day. I guess your church cleaning job would depend more upon what the cleaning entails. Vacuuming, just use the arm on the side opposite your port the first time or two. You don't have to do any heavy lifting to clean, do you?

I don't recall being given too many restrictions on anything. I was told not to lift anything heavy for a week or so. As for exercise, I was told to start walking as soon as I felt up to it. I walked to the end of the block and back the same day I had surgery. That helped with the gas issues too! The second and third days, I walked a bit more, twice per day. You don't need to wear yourself out, but just start moving and add to the time as you feel more able.

the church job consists of sweeping, vacumming, mopping and cleaning toilets

Erin, it doesn't sound like it's really heavy cleaning so I'd say give yourself 3-4 days if you can. Then for another week or so, don't push the vacuum with the hand on the side of your port because it could make it sore. At first, don't lean over, squat down .... and I think you'll be fine.

2 weeks after