Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How did you pay for your banding?

I know this is a personal question, but thought I'd throw it out there for those who don’t mind answering.

I’m a borderline case. If my insurance company approves my application, everything will be covered except for $500. If they don’t approve my application I may consider going to Dr. Ortiz or Dr. Kuri in Mexico. Even though the Mexico option is much less expensive than self-pay here in the states, it’s still a lot of money to me. (Particularly since I got ripped off by a “personal training/total fitness company” and lost most of my savings. Still recovering financially. Grrrr…)

I don’t know where I would get $10,000 from for the surgery. For those who’ve had to get a little creative to find ways to pay for the surgery, I’d love to hear how you did it. I’m looking for ideas. If I thought it would actually work, maybe I’d put up a website asking for donations. biggrin.gif

Thanks

SJ

It works a little different here in Australia. Medicare, our public health system, pays for the bulk of the operation as its generally not argued that its not medically necessary as long as the surgeon has said he will do it. Our private health insurance pays for all hospital costs and surgeons and medical professionals usually charge a "gap" over and above the scheduled fee that Medicare will pay for any given procedure.

For banding, the average gap is abotu $A3,000 so there's generally a one off payment of $3,000. For many surgeons that covers all aftercare for ever - every fill and any revision surgery as once they've charged the gap, many surgeons agree to simply bulk bill all maintenance/revision/supervision - meaning they bill Medicare direct only the scheduled cost.

So its pricey but not out of the league of most people really.

If its done under the public health system the wait is up to 7 years in many hospitals. Many surgeons will not touch self pay in Australia because they say that it leads to people not continuing with follow up treatment after surgery and if anything goes wrong and revision surgery is needed, costs mount up to re-mortgage your house kind of levels very quickly.

SJ~

I was going to actually ask the same thing today.

In my case, I've been on this journey for almost 5 years now. The reason I haven't gone through surgery yet is because of the financing part. I've tried almost everything, with no positive results yet. I'm not afraid to say though, my credit isn't the best. B) Thus, the reason my being denied a loan for surgery.

I have decided though that I will definitely be going South of the Border for my surgery. I'm just undecided on which surgeon to use. I do have 2 in mind though.

Anywho, if your insurance doesn't go through, and I hope it does...do not lose hope.

There are so many days I thought I would just give up on this because of the money part and so many days honestly, I was jealous because another friend got approved or found the money to go through with their surgery, and it all seemed so easy for them. But after going through this so long, my personality really changed on this very subject. I finally figured if it weren't for all these people sharing there stories, actually going through the same thing and supporting me in anyway they can, I probably wouldn't even be on this journey at all. It's encouraging to come to forums like this and I figure if they can encourage me, support me, whatever, then I can, in return do the same for them, instead of giving up on everyone else who can probably use the support. Know what I mean?

Haha. Okay, sorry for going on and on and I think I did just vent a little on your subject, but I just wanted to give you a little encouragment and to let you know your not alone and don't give up and try anything you can to get the funding for this surgery. It's a life saver.

Good luck to you! :D

I used my air miles credit card. this way, I can fly to Hawaii when I get skinny, for free!! payments good too, better than loan. I got a 30% discount for cash at the hospital and the ansthiologist (?sp) Dr. H is trying to get insurance to pay. they have paid for a fill already. If not, American Express all the way!

We got a second mortgage on our house (for the $17,000 cost). Figure if we can buy a car, tv and all that kinda' stuff we could sure as heck pay for something that will improve the quality of my life ...or very welll even save my life! The monthly payments are worth it...I look at it just like every other bill we have to pay...

Of course it means I'll have to work until 65 or 70 and we'll have less for our retirement but what good would retirement do me if I'm not alive to enjoy it!!??

Home Equity Line of Credit. And I'm driving a 1994 Dodge Grand Caravan with 208,000 miles on it. It's full of Cheerios and juice spills and we had an ant infestation while at the beach but we got rid of those and the carpet is stained and the fabric is worn but it runs, it's reliable, for now! and I have no idea what we will do when it finally goes to Minivan Heaven. But I'm down 30 pounds or so in less than 6 months with about 50 more pounds to go.

I wonder which will happen first...I reach goal or my poor ole van dies?

I committed to get the surgery after we took advantage of the housing market and sold our house and made a nice profit. So, we didn't put all of the profits into our new home and we took a little cash out of the profits and paid for the surgery. I will be newly banded this Friday (9/30) woohoo!

Im in Australia and getting banded tomorrow....i have gone in as a public patient and it is covered under Medicare here. i have only so far had to pay for dr visits of which a portion is returned back by medicare....

I only had to wait a few months for a surgery date from when i first went to the dr.so this is certainly the lucky country.....to be honest if i had to pay full cost myself i wouldnt be able to get this done....so i am extremely grateful for this i can tell you. now it a matter of saving for any possible Tummy Tuck might need once all weight is loss....coz that not covered by health cover from wot i can gather....if it is someone let me know hahhaah....

cheers Dee

<?xml:namespace prefix = v ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:vml" /><v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 315pt; HEIGHT: 55.5pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/3;0;133;1;1/c/128/t/65/s/136/k/4515/weight.png" src="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

<v:shapetype id=_x0000_t75 stroked="f" filled="f" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" o:preferrelative="t" o:spt="75" coordsize="21600,21600"><v:stroke joinstyle="miter"></v:stroke><v:formulas><v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"></v:f><v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"></v:f><v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"></v:f></v:formulas><v:path o:connecttype="rect" gradientshapeok="t" o:extrusionok="f"></v:path><o:lock aspectratio="t" v:ext="edit"></o:lock></v:shapetype><v:shape id=_x0000_i1025 style="WIDTH: 315pt; HEIGHT: 55.5pt" alt="" type="#_x0000_t75"><v:imagedata o:href="http://tickers.tickerfactory.com/ezt/d/3;0;133;1;1/c/128/t/65/s/136/k/4515/weight.png" src="file:///C:/WINDOWS/TEMP/msoclip1/01/clip_image001.gif"></v:imagedata></v:shape>

Wow you were lucky Dee - at the info session I went to last night the surgeon said that at The Alfred in Melbourne there's a 7 year waiting list so they're not adding anyone anymore at all - he also said that generally its impossible to get it done in a big public hospital in Melbourne because of their heavy trauma loads, the intake of patients for elective surgery is very minimal.

Cosmetic surgery is never covered by private health insurance unless there's a medical reason for doing it - breast reduction or restoration after mastectomy can usually be covered but tummy tucks are not, unless you're suffering (like with rashes and yeast infections etc.)

I sold some stock that my company had given me five years ago. But if I hadn't had that, I would either have financed via the Inamed financing plan or taking a line of credit out at the bank. Ya gotta get creative.

I was lucky - My ins. is covering everything but my co-pay and program fees. Do you have a 401K that you can draw off? That way any interest you pay just goes back to yourself.

Good luck,