Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

lol, I saw my typo as I posted and thought that will be interesting. Gosh I am good. I am not a drinker - maybe my it was wishful thinking.

Metformin was the key to falling pregnant for me. I have friends who had a terrible time with it but its been really good for me in the past as long as I took it at the right time. I recently tried Xenical is see if I was eating things without realising it, well I didnt have the side effects that come with that. I think taking it was a waste of time but at least I tried and checked up on myself.

I will check out your links - thankyou

I am a slow looser. My gripe is...we as bandsters are supposed to lose slow...we are to average out in weight loss in 2-3 years in comparison to RNY patients...why does the surgeon get upset if we don't loose too much in a month's time...personally I may be going slow, but I'm doing fine...I'm feeling fine, and I'm looking good for an old woman of 50. I'm 7 months out, lost 30 since surgery, 37 total and have gone from 18/20 to a loose 14 in clothes. So why are we so hard on ourselves?

Hello everyone,

I have been loosing really slow here latley. I have the larger VG band. The 10cc one. I have been banded for 5 months now and already am filled to the max. That don't sound very good. Has anyone else had that problem. I've lost 76 pounds to date, which is very good, but I don't have the restriction like I should. I could be more tighter, but they won't give me anymore fills because I'm up to 9.75 cc's now. What am I supposed to do when I loose even more weight? I don't get it. I hope my wheels haven't fell off.

Debbie

I know what you mean!!! I have not lost and yes the doctor looks at you as if your trying to beat the band. I can tell you I give up trying to please the doctor and just try to please myself, which it seems your doing a wonderful job doing! Keep up the great work!

Hi everyone I want to join this group.:help: I have only lost 40 pounds in almost 2 years. :) I did lose 52 pounds but my band was too tight and I left it too long and they had to empty my band. I gained 12 pounds during the unfill and am now slowly losing that back down. I have always been a slow loser so this is no exception. I love my band though it has given me a great outlook. I can now tie my shoes, paint my toenails, walk more than a few steps before :faint: and my steering wheel of my car is now at least 4 inches away from my tummy when before it rubbed :D . so please let me join? :help: and for the lady that her doctor told her to skip meals honey you are in starvation mode. don't let him make it worse. I have one of the best followup programs with my surgerons there is anywhere. they say I am on top of things slow is the way togo. I also am a poet and don't know it :D . they told me you don't eat you don't lose. you must get at least 70 grams of Protein and 64 of Water. I don't always follow that hense the slower weight lose. I love this board. YEAH!!!! Frances

banded 12/1/04

331/293/170

Excellent progress Delia. I rthink that in the long run, it is only you who count. No one else has to or gets to live in your body. I think that if you have lost enough inches to be in a size 14 loose, then WOOT!

Congrats Debbie06, you are a Rabbit, not a Turtle! I understand yur concern about being too filled and not feel properly restricted. One thing to keep in mind that it isn't about restriction; it is about losing weight. At 76 pounds gone in 5 months that's pretty spectaucular. I know that a lot of bansters feel that they should be so restriced that they should only be able to measure their meals by tablespoons as opposed to cups. (or half cups, you know where I"m going. ) I know that sometimes we get a whapred sense of what a true portion size is. Partly because many of us used to eat the portions that restaurants serve (sometimes as many as 4 serings in one meal! :)) and think that is normal, then switch to a bandster tinsy serving, and think that's a normal serving. Please try to not worry so much Debbie, ok?

Those are some great NSVs Fedixon! I'm going to tell you the same thing I tell everyone else, track those NSVs!

I think everyone needs to track their NSVs, but I think it is even more important for Turtles to track.

Hi My Name Is Bonnie I Was Banded On July 14th 2006.i Have Lost About 70lbs,i Go Up And Down Iwant To Reach 160 Seems Like Forever That I Will Reach That Goal.i Dont Exercise Like I Should.ilike This Group I Have Had One Fill,doctor Said He Doesnt Want To Fill Me Again Because I Am Having Trouble With Things Getting Stuck.

Wow bonnie you have lost 70 pounds in two months that is amazing. or is that a type O? anyway fabulous darling :clap2: I am going to try a little harder to not worry so much. and yes I have a lot of NSVs and I do record each one. I think I am getting muscle now and that weighs more than fat so I just like the idea of being able to do lots of things I haven't done in a long time. I guess being a turtle don't bother me a bit. I have a cup of ice cream when I want to and if I want a small slice of cake (really a very small is all I can eat. I have good restriction.) then I eat it. I didn't gain this weight in a couple years so I am not going to lose it over night either. Yeah I am a Turtle!!!!:clap2: :clap2: :clap2: and I love my band :kiss2: God bless. Frances

Hi,

I was banded on Feb 20, and I've recently had my third fill. I lost the first month and then I remained the same weight for from April until Sept. the doctor said that is impossible and I was frustrated with him (for the comment) and me for not losing. I actually felt I had failed the lapband. Two weeks ago I got my third and low and below, I have lost 5lbs since then. And I realize now, how unrestricted I was and how much I was fighting just to stay the same weight.

Banded Brenda

I am a slow loser and it can be maddening. In the 19 months since being banded I have lost 83 pounds and just over a 100lbs from my highest weight. I was banded at about 380lbs so I am quite the whopper to have lost this slowly.

My sister had the band before I did and lost 50 lbs her first month, I was sure I would see similiar results.

What I am wondering is how to not throw in the towel? I keep veering off the diet because I feel like what is the point? My goals are pretty modest as I would like to get to 250lbs or 225lbs as I am very tall and have always been fat.

Good luck to you all.

Brenda

I guess the point is that 100lbs off is nothing to shake your finger at. I know that the band is a way of life and not a diet, but maybe you need to think of joining some weight group such as weight watchers, or perhaps a group a the gym just for the weekly support. It's not easy to do this alone and I am thankful that another teacher had this surgery during Christmas vacation. I had my during our Feb.vacation and we have each other for support. If I can help, let me know.

Banded Brenda

My last name also begins with W.

Right, Brenda, have you been to your regular doctor about this? If you have been even modestly following the banded lifestyle, and getting less than 1,500 calories you should be seeing some weight loss.

I fully understand your frustration. I lost nothing. I mean nothing for the longest time. I might lose one pound a month. And that was a big maybe.

So I went to my doctor, and another doctor, and another one, rejecting a diagnosis of "metabolic X syndrome" I found the real cause of my non-weight loss: Cushing's.

Now, I'm not saying that you have Cushing's. But I am saying that you need to get to your regular doctor and find out why you are not losing weight.

Hi Lisa, man, I think I would have kicked him at the "at least you aren't gaining." I HATE that.

Ok, since you haven't lost anything with your band, it's time to start looking at other possible causes. Have you had a full work-up? Have you been to see an endocrinologist? It isn't normal or reasonable to not lose weight while folowing the bandster lifestyle

About 8 or 9 months into my band, and not losing, I started to demand answers. Discovered that I have a brain tumor that is preventing me from losing weight. The tumor is on my pituitary gland and has caused me to have Cushing's. Please do not let it go. Start demanding answers.

I firmly believe that all Turtles should start demanding answers if we are not losing weight with the band. DEMAND answers. If one doc can't help, then it is time to move on to the next one. Keep going until you get some action.

Cheers and Courage!

Well I took your advise and others, I also went to that link and found someone with Cushings in my state (spelt it right this time). I now have a referal to endocrinologist. My GP fully agreed about getting a complete work up too. I'll keep you posted but the earliest I can get in is mid Nov. In the mean time, I will start on another drug to try and help

Thanks for the advise.

Regards

Lisa

Excellent Lisa!

Well done in taking your health in charge! This isn't easy, but check the links in my signature for the Cushing's groups. You might not have Cushing's but I'm so proud of you for getting the full work up. Push for answers, and then if those answers don't seem right, PUSH HARDER

(((((hugs))))

Always_Smile1st, when were you filled?