Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Ccfrog4u, believe me, I know this is very difficult. All my Turtles, this is very important.

If you have made an honest go at making the Band work, and if you tell me that you have, then I believe you 100%, and the Band still is not working for you, then you need to start demanding answers from your doctors.

It is so easy for doctors to dismiss us because we are fat. If we are fat, then obvously we are lazy and good for nothing. (LIES!) If your doctor doesn't know what's wrong, then ask for referals. It might be any number of things, but it is so important to find out what's going on.

Do NOT let them push back on you. If more fills don't work, then it's time to get other help. I'm not saying that you might have Cushing's, what I have. Although one of main symptoms of Cushings is weight gain and central obesity (big round body, fat face and a buffalo hump). If you cannot lose weight on a calorie restricted diet, then you need to find out what is going on with your body.

This is important!

:biggrin1: I think I'm the slowest loser in the history of US LapBanding.

No I'm not being hard on myself - it's true.

{The background: I got myself approved for the RnY, but preferred the LapBand, which I knew about from Europe. I hoped to lose 80-90 lbs.

My surgeon said I'd lose approx 90 with RnY (putting me a bit lighter than I needed to be), and 80 with the band. Why go through that for 10# more?

So the LapBand sounded good.

Well I got banded in the initial FDA trial and VERY long story short - my new prototype US band didn't quite work. Since the band wasn't approved in the US, there wasn't a lot of data on band repair, quite yet. :)

Therefore, I walked around for 3 years without a working band while I healed again and got strong enough (physically, then EMOTIONALLY) to have a repair surgery.}

Anyhoo, things did get better!

:) I got a new band tubing and replacement to a lower profile port in 2005.:huggie:

So basically I was banded as if it was the first time more than 16 1/2 months ago.

My doc feels like I should start considering my progress only when I got a working band.

Fine.

So after 9 months I realized, even though I was getting fills I was wayyy under-restricted. I lost not even 40# in 9 months after being basically a New Bandster.

I wasn't even quite halfway to goal, so I was pretty disgusted after all I'd been thru with my Band.

And it hit me: My doc is an outstanding surgeon, but is so conservative about fills.

The band does not - hear me again, fellow Bandsters - does not work for most people, without proper restriction.

I started re-focusing on my restriction level and got a different doc (or 2) for fills.

And six months after that, I've finally start seeing results.

I'm now just 5 to 6 lbs. from my surgeon's (rather conservative) goal which puts me about 15# from my ultimate goal.

Who me? The Ultimate Turtle? Yep.

Yes, I'm a turtle. People see it's taken me 16 months to lose 75# or so pounds and they make a face like what took so long.

But if I get the 5 1/2 lbs to the doctors goal and then somehow get the other 10 off it will probably take me another 3-4 months at minimum. Yes, my loss is that slow especially when I got closer to goal. I'd love to lose the 15# by October or so.

So chin up turtles, I might actually crawl across the Goal Line sometime soon.

Wish me luck!

Thanks you to all the slow losers for the encouragement. I have gained back 8 pounds since being banded on March 8 2006. I admit I have cheated a little since being banded(those darn Lays potatoe chips)But after getting my 1st fill I am trying hard to eat only healthy.I have to admit some days I can't eat because of restriction but other days I wanna eat the whole refrigerator.Like last night woke up at 2am starving drank some Water but was still unable to sleep sooo ;) this morning I had a 3 egg bacon and cheese omlett.But will try to do better rest of the day.

Thanks you to all the slow losers for the encouragement. I have gained back 8 pounds since being banded on March 8 2006. I admit I have cheated a little since being banded :phanvan those darn Lays potatoe chips.But after getting my 1st fill in May I am trying hard to eat only healthy.I have to admit some days I can't eat because of restriction but other days I wanna eat the whole refrigerator.Like last night woke up at 2am starving drank some Water but was still unable to sleep sooo ;) this morning I had a 3 egg bacon and cheese omlett.But will try to do better rest of the day.:nervous

Ha ve you tried microwave eggs souffle? Take 1-2 eggwhites, one whole egg, shredded cheese. Microwave about 40 secs. Stir. microwave another 15. I sometimes add onion, ham, or use just egg whites..

Can I join?

I've lost 31 pounds since December and I need some comrades cause I'm beating myself up about my eating habits and I feel left out from all those really fantastic loosers who have changed there eating habits right from the first day the band was put on.

I think maybe because I have the large van-guard band and the restriction takes so much longer to get that I have had such a hard time. Also the fact that Ice cream and candy go down so smoothly doesn't help me.

Anyhow I need to feel that I didn't make the wrong choice having this surgery and that I'm not in a race and that It'll just take me longer...................

What a terrific idea!Sometimes we think we are failures among all the people losing tons of weight fast.I think i qualify----banded 4/17/2006.1st fill was may 31st--it seems I am very sensitive to fills and my Doctor is fairl aggressive.I have a 10cc. band and 1st fill was 5.2 cc followed by an "unfill" due todaily vomiting so was down to 3.2cc. Got another fill July 5th to about 5.5cc and then 2 "unfills'again due to vomiting.You would think with all this vomiting I would be losing like crazy butNO!!!!!!!!Started at 220 pounds and am down to 192--28 pounds in over 3 months!I feel better but want that scale to move!!!I think this is a great idea and it gives me encouragement!::clap2:

Judy, 28 lbs is nearly 10 lbs a month, which is really terrific weight loss! You ARE losing like crazy! Congrats!

OK, so I am going to join you all, I too am a slow user. I lost most of my weight right after surgery, and have had 3 fills, don't seem to do any good, and I know I can't go any tighter, as I often PB.

I found out June 8th that I had breat cancer, and had a lumpectomy on June 28th. We caught it early. I am waiting to get test results as to the need for me to have chemo or not. I do know I will have to have radiation and take hormone blockers for 5 years. If I do have to do chemo, I will have to have an unfil, so my Dr. says.

I am also starting a new job the end of this month, looking forward to a change, but not if I have to do chemo.

I have really stepped up my exersise the last few weeks so I am hoping this will help. I am tired of loosing and gaining the same 4 lbs over and over again, since Jan.

I am not going to give up and I don't want any of you too either. Lets get-R-done!!:faint:

Shelley

Oregon

weight.png

Hi,

I got banded in 10/25/05 I have lost 35 pounds, really slowly, down to my set point, 200 pounds, size 16 feel much better. But, I need to lose another 30 minimum.

I made myself tuna, with salad for lunch. Tuna does not always go down easily. It was much easier, to eat cheerios out of the box.

The doc says I don't need any more fills, and I can't over eat without feeling like my bra is choking me. But, I have a problem with eating little bits throughout the day, rather than my three meals. Since, I am not working, and don't structure my time well it has been really hard for me.

But, I too don't want to keep losing the same 4 pounds over and over.

The point is we need to be on a "diet" a word I hate, and even with the help of the band, this is something you have to do because you have no choice, the thing is I keep giving myself the choice to eat sweets.

I'm sure I am not the only one.

It will be a year soon, I want to lose a minimum of 50 pounds, I don't mind if its slow I just want to know what comes off will not ever come back. That is where I feel the band gives me a sense of security.

Hi,

I got banded in 10/25/05 I have lost 35 pounds, really slowly, down to my set point, 200 pounds, size 16 feel much better. But, I need to lose another 30 minimum.

I made myself tuna, with salad for lunch. Tuna does not always go down easily. It was much easier, to eat cheerios out of the box.

The doc says I don't need any more fills, and I can't over eat without feeling like my bra is choking me. But, I have a problem with eating little bits throughout the day, rather than my three meals. Since, I am not working, and don't structure my time well it has been really hard for me.

But, I too don't want to keep losing the same 4 pounds over and over.

The point is we need to be on a "diet" a word I hate, and even with the help of the band, this is something you have to do because you have no choice, the thing is I keep giving myself the choice to eat sweets.

I'm sure I am not the only one.

It will be a year soon, I want to lose a minimum of 50 pounds, I don't mind if its slow I just want to know what comes off will not ever come back. That is where I feel the band gives me a sense of security.

peharper, you suddenly have solid material in your colon. It isn't that you've gained weight, as that phrase is usually known, but you've added mass to your system.

Your body is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I know that it comes as quite a shock, but you are not "fatter."

((((hugs))) it is quite a shock, but relax, it's just the way your body works.

I'm so very sorry to hear about your diagnosis Shelley. I wish there was something I could do other than offery my sympathy. Please know that all who read this thread will be sending you prayers and thoughts of health and healing.