Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Slow Losers - Unite!

Ok, i am only 6 weeks out....but according to my doctors scale i have only lost 5 lbs. I didn't lose anything with my 2 week pre-op shake diet either. I am walking 30 minutes a day atleast twice a week - i shoot for 3 or 4 but don't always make it. I know it's more than 1lb a week - it's 1.2/wk....but i still feel like a slow loser. I go for my first fill on Monday ~ maybe that will change my outcome? I sure hope so!! I need to belong somewhere :cry

Hey turtles. Just saying hi. I haven't been on here in ages. Since my last unfill after that awful episode, I never got refilled back to where I was. And where I was wasn’t even working, so of course this isn't either. I am just a big chicken. It was pretty terrible, so I missed some work, which didn’t go over well. Anyway, I still haven't lost anything, and I don't much feel like I have a band, though I do eat considerably less even still. Yet, I think of y'all all the time and wonder how everyone is doing. I still think about just trying to start over, but I wonder if I even can.

Anyway, just poking my head in to say howdy! Guess, I am off to do some reading and catching up on everyone.

Hope y'all are doing great!!! :)

Hi Jess,

Don't be discouraged. Everyone goes at a different pace. It is probably b/c you started dieting before the surgery so it wasn't a total shock to your system. Do you feel like you still have an appetite? If so then you do need the fill. After my month of liquids and mush I was able to eat bread...a sure sign that I was not tight enough. Are the liquids you drink of the non fattening nature? Make sure that what you do put into yourself has a decent nutritional content, ie: chicken Soup. milk / soy milk, vegy juice etc... I for one can not stomach liquid Vitamins. It grosses me out. But this is what will sustain your health as you deprive your body. My weakness in times of PMS is a Carvel shake with fat free vanilla icecream and skim milk. It probably isn't a wonderful option but it certainly could be worse. This is sometimes lunch...right next door to my office. I also hate to exercise and am appalled to say that I do not yet do it. You are probably loosing fat that is converting into muscle which is denser. The scale won't be as gratifying in this case but your dress size will go down much more quickly. How are your clothes fitting you? This is a good indication as to whether you are going in the right direction. Have you gotten your thyroid checked out? I was sure that was my issue but of course mine is fine.

Heidi

Hello. :) My weight loss has been very slow....very very slow.

I got banded on 3-24-06 and have lost less then 20 lbs. It's not real bad. It's about 4 lbs a month, 1 lb a week. But when people at my work get the band and loose 30 lbs in the first month, I am in awwww.

I just think to myself....'they will need plastic surgery, I won't'....:)

I am happy for them. Everyone goes at their own God given pace.

Anyway, I just joined Golds Gym and hopefull that will help.

I have a medium 5 cc band that is currently at 4cc from my 9th fill yesterday.

Nice to meet you all. :hungry:

Hi There,

My guess is that you do not have a huge amount to lose...am I right? Just try to do it healthy. I am sick and weak now and can't even keep my medication down. it's a vicious cycle for me. I don't know how to just stop eating when I know I won't be able to keep it down. The result is that I believe my hiatal hernia has come back, although I have not been to the doctor yet. Every night I walke up coughing...reflux and can only sleep sitting up. I am on total abstinance today, even liquids except to wet my whistle if I get parched. I am hoping my band will have some mercy on me. I only get a kick out of the losing part if it is not at the expense of my health. On top of all of this, I had a breast reduction and lift 4 weeks ago and am still in pain. I guess healing is not my forte. The doc. says that I am just a slow healer and am on the extreme side of that curve. It took me a month to get back to normal after having the band done so I guess he is not off base. Sorry to be rambling but I am in bed and bored.

Heidi

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to update every one on my cancer treatment. I just finished my 2 weeks of radiation, only 5 more weeks to go, oh boy.:rolleyes: I started back to work full time last Mon. and it was an ok week, but pretty tired by the time I get off work, drive into Salem for radiation and back home again. Everyone says I look great, so guess I'm doing ok.

I think I have lost about 1.5 lbs in the last 2 weeks, don't have much of an appetite. I am trying to eat right so I can keep up my strength though.

Well I hope you are all doing well, and working to get off the weight we all want to get off, even though we are having touble. WE will get it done, just may take us longer.

Shelley:)

thanks for the update Shelley, we've been worried about you.

Don't worry about losing weight right now. You need to focus on gaining your health! (((hugs)))

I really admire your attitude. This will indeed be the key in your recovery. Just keep it up.

I went to the Dr. last week. I lost 12 lbs since July but he concurred that he thinks either my hiatal hernia came back...for the third time or the band slipped...again! Am going for the esophagram on Weds. and he loosened me down to .75cc. I used to be able to tolerate 3-4cc...what the hell happened? I am not throwing up anymore but of course I am always obsessed about food again. I am eating too much but not nearly what I can do bandless. I just really need to steer clear of icecream. I just can't seem to resist a bargain in Shoprite when Turkey Hill is 2 for $5. That of course has no problem with the band. I started taking liquid vitamins to help in healing from my boob reduction. It tastes awful but in just a few days the difference is amazing. They still hurt but it seems to be going so much faster. My immune system is on a permanant vacation.

I am proud to say that I can fit into clothes, (and yes jeans) that I haven't gone near in 5 years. This fall will be a great reunion with my old wardrobe. That is the biggest high.

Happy Labor Day everyone!!! :clap2:

Heidi

I am very discouraged with the weight I have not lost. I was banded on June 7th and have only lost about 22 pounds total. This is really bad when I think of how much less I eat compared to before the surgery. I have restriction now on the 3rd fill but it is weird. Sometimes I can eat everything and other times nothing! I don't mind the times I can eat nothing but you never know what to expect. This band I know will be a blessing after they work the kinks out. I know there are some days that I wonder if it will ever happen though. This surgery cost alot of money and can't imagine it to be for nothing.:cry

Very often your ability to eat is also affected by stress. I know that when I am wigged out or upset, nothing goes or stays down. Are you able to eat alot more than one day in a row? I typically can't. My Dr. said that either a glass of wine or a warm drink before eating makes for a good start when it's a tight day. Not only will it take at least a year for your head and your stomach to be in sync but adjustments are all just part of life with the band. When I get sick with a stomach virus they typically have to almost empty my band out so that I can keep even tea down. When I recover they make it tighter again. There is no last adustment for the band because as your body and life changes, your band's needs change as well. You might decide that you want it a bit looser if you are going on vacation for example. When you get home you get it tighter again.

As far as loosing slowly: If you continue to lose about 9 lbs a month, in a year that would be 108lbs...not too shabby. Just like with every other diet that we have all been on, there are peaks and plateaus and your body is still in shock, not to mention starvation. Just like with evolution, if your body is deprived it will hold onto what it has until it realizes that it has to get with the program. It just may be a while until that happens, so try to be patient. You are going in the right direction and if you behave it will indeed come off. :thumb: :thumb:

I am beyond discouraged with the weight i haven't lost too - today with my weight up again i am at a horrendous 10lbs lost since my first fill in january 06 - my surgery was in november 05. so that's about 1 lb a month and believe me it's been next to impossible. i'm going for my 4th fill on the 11th and have decided i want to be so tight i can only do liquds with maybe some food now and then. that's how all i know are losing weight and while i didn't want that in the beginning i want it now. i paid a lot of money to lose weight and i will lose weight like that. i have my Protein Shakes and Soups all ready and knbow i can do it. I was and am willing to be content with 25lbs in a year since surgery but no less - not for 10K+

Mary,

You haven't lost tons of weight b/c you don't have tons to lose. I do agree though that liquids, (as long as they are not Mc Donalds shakes), are the way to go. Be careful though b/c Slimfast shakes have been known to be very hard on the tummy. Get yourself a good juicer for your veggies as when you are very tight even Soup that is not broth can be a challenge. Absolutely get the liquid vitamins from one of those Vitamin stores and jumpstart your system. I also don't have hundreds to lose and I did plateau for more than a year. I was up and down about 10lbs and just either couldn't or wouldn't have the umph to get past it. I am three years post op and have lost alot of weight this year...don't know why it started again. Just get your thyroid checked out and make sure that any meds you are taking may not have a hand in your progress. I was taking some antidepressants a few years ago and didn't realize that this was responsible for magically gaining 40lbs in just a few months. Of course it was not until after a year with the band that I made that connection and within a week of getting off the fat meds, I dropped 13 lbs. This could very well be your problem..

Let me know what you think.

Regards,

Heidi

Thanks Heidi,

Yes, i've had my thyroid checked in the past but not recently. I think my metabolism is slow from years of yo yo dieting. I am on birth control pills and have been for over 25 years - I guess I could go off them but there is still a slight chance I could become pregnant and I think they help with pre-menopausal symptoms. I use EAS myoplex lite shakes with 35 gms of Protein - they taste great and fill me up - hate slimfast as they make me full of gas and running to the bathroom and i'm hungry before I finish the last sip - smile. My plan is to have 2-3 of those EAS shakes per day with some nourishing Soup for dinner - I have the jack lalaine juicer and am very into making fresh vegetable juices and Soups. I did a vegetable/juice cleanse for two weeks about a month ago and didn't lose a lb but felt terrific.