Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Co-Morbidities Have You Gotten Rid Of?

I thought I'd put up this post to see what co-morbidities people have been relieved of since their surgery.

As for me, I had compartmental syndrome (issue where my fascia on my calves would squish my muscle if I ran (b/c muscle would want to expand, but there wasn't enough room) such that my nerves would get pinched and my circulation would get cut off. Now that I'm 50+ pounds down, I don't have any problem with this at all. In fact, tonight, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill without stopping or slowing to a walk, and all was just fine! What a major NSV!!

I had been worried that if someone was ever chasing me that I wouldn't be able to run to safety! But now, that problem has completely disappeared!

Thank you, Band!! :)

Catherine

I didn't have any! NO kidding I was "borderline" everything. Now I am anticipating not being "borderline" any more. So looking at it one way, I was marginal and now I'm not any more!

Although I have to say if someone were chasing me, although I have run short distances, I still think my best bet would be to just sit on them. :)

Ask me in 50 pounds but obviously I have nothing yet as I was only banded on Thursday. I love this thread though, can't wait to see responses.

I am hoping to get rid of my blood pressure meds. I also have sleep apnea but not bad enough to have a machine. I am also hoping this will ease my PCOS enough to have another baby without fertility drugs!

january 13th 09 i had my surgery. it has been eight months without my medication. i was on diabetes meds,an high cholestrol meds. so far things are going great.

I thought I had relieved my osteoarthritis in my knee but I found out that the arthritis is still there and prob will be forever with me.

Osteoarthritis never goes away; it's chronic and there's no cure for it (yet)....

but losing a good chunk of weight should help it be more manageable!

The joint degenerates and losing weight doesn't make it grow back :biggrin:

Osteoarthritis never goes away; it's chronic and there's no cure for it (yet)....

but losing a good chunk of weight should help it be more manageable!

The joint degenerates and losing weight doesn't make it grow back :biggrin:

I found out the hard way, when one morning I could barely stand up because the pain was so intense.

Acid reflux and asthma almost never present a problem anymore. I don't wake up in constant pain and I sleep better, because my sleep apnea is no longer a problem. :biggrin: Isn't it amazing how much better our body feels when we drop some weight?! I still have weight left to lose, I am still fat:blush:, but all of the medical reasons that necessitated this surgery are gone, so I am a very happy bandster!

I thought I'd put up this post to see what co-morbidities people have been relieved of since their surgery.

As for me, I had compartmental syndrome (issue where my fascia on my calves would squish my muscle if I ran (b/c muscle would want to expand, but there wasn't enough room) such that my nerves would get pinched and my circulation would get cut off. Now that I'm 50+ pounds down, I don't have any problem with this at all. In fact, tonight, I ran 3 miles on the treadmill without stopping or slowing to a walk, and all was just fine! What a major NSV!!

I had been worried that if someone was ever chasing me that I wouldn't be able to run to safety! But now, that problem has completely disappeared!

Thank you, Band!! :cool:

Catherine

Well I was taking 8 pills a little over a month ago :biggrin:

Since then I was told to stop taking all my meds and to keep an eye on my blood pressure, blood sugar numbers, and at pre op they wanted to know what my triglycerides were.

I am VERY HAPPY to say that I am still off of all my meds and all my numbers are well within the "normal" range. I go back to see my PCP this friday to see if he wants to keep going as is. :biggrin:

I am a type II diabetic on an insulin pump, and Actos for the last 5 years.

When I started the pre-op diet my wt. was 307 and my basal insulin rate was 3.9 U/hr with boluses to cover carb loads.

On the day of surgery, I was down to 287 and my basal rate was down to 1 U/hr and I am off Actos.

Now on post-op day 5, I am down to 0.6 U/hr of insulin, but then I am essentially in starvation mode for at least a few more days. Wt was 276 today, so I am very pleased. I suspect that the rapid wt. loss,in my case, is due to the decreased insulin use (Insulin is lipogenic.) So far I am very pleased.

BP meds haven't changed yet but I think that will eventually change.

My major motivation to have the surgery was my declining renal function. My nephrologist told me that I would be on dialysis in 2-3 yrs unless I dropped 100 lbs. So I'm on my way.

Edited by Rick4man

I am off my 2 BP meds, my blood sugar level has come down to normal, and I was able to stop one of my antidepressant meds.....YIPPEE for the band!!

Mimi