Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

BMI 40 and 230 lbs - how much can I lose?

Hi all,

I am new here. I have my first consult with a surgeon in Denver this Friday, and will also do my psych, nutrition, and other consults on the same day. I was told I could have a surgery date as early as next month! (I am self pay, hence the speed....)

My question is, how much is it realistic to plan on losing? I am pretty close to my all-time highest weight right now, 230. My high school weight, while I was running track, was around 130. My college weight was 140-150. Pre-kids, in my 20s, was 160-170. And after my 4 kids were born, for the past 12 years, I have been at, close to, or over, 200, dieting and exercising constantly only to gain more than I could ever lose.

Anyone with similar BMI or weight who can share their experience? Thanks!

I think they say about 60%of your excess weight but it will be up to you, You can lose it all If you remember the band is a tool and you have to do a lot of hard work because it won't do it by itself. good luck!

I even heard that it was 68% of your BMI. I was 41 when I had it done and I weighed 251. My BMI was a 40 as well and it is true that it is up to you truly. The doctors don't want to get your hopes up too high. I lost 101% of my BMI. I have been holding 145 for 3 years now so you can do it. How badly do you want it is how much more easily it is for you. I changed everything about what I eat and it has been successful.

Josephine

That would really be a dream come true. For so many years I have not even dared to imagine losing enough to be in the "normal" weight range.

How amazing, congratulations to you both. And thanks. :thumbdown:

The stats quoted are an average. That means some lose ALL, some don't lose any. It's up to YOU how much you want to lose. The band is a tool only; you're the one working it (and the weight loss). So...the answer is "however much you want to."

They all speak truth -- every ounce of weight you lose will be from your own efforts. You *must* be willing to give up the habits that led to weight gain -- including certain foods and drinks and ways you spend your time -- and replace them with new habits you'll hopefully start developing.. now.

The band, as noted is a tool. I like to think of it as a cattle prod -- it will complain if you abuse it, but there are ways to subvert it, just as with any surgery or diet. Consider it a conscience that is much harder to ignore, if that helps, that is there to help train you about a certain range of Portion Control.< /p>

It won't help you if you drink all your calories, or spend all your calories on chocolate bars (though perhaps an RNY might), or nibble here and there all day, never giving yourself a chance to experience satiety. So the choice of treatment really is dependent on what underlying problems are behind your weight gain.

It can be challenging, but even the pre-op phase can be worth it. I spent two months on a diet about halfway to what I'm eating now, and the improvements in my life just from that were just a preview.

I have read about some on here that really struggle for every pound lost. My experience has not been that way. Don’t get me wrong, it’s no walk in the park but if you follow the rules it can work for you – it has for me. I started in February at 285lbs with a BMI of just over 38. Here I am almost 6 months out and I’m down over 85lbs and only about 15lbs from goal, which BTW will be a “normal” BMI. So how much can you lose? Well, that may be up to you. Follow the pre-op, don’t get too frustrated with “bandster hell”, listen to RestlessMonkey every time she tells you to DRINK YOUR Water, eat your Protein, listen to your doc, get your fills when you need them, and come here for moral support. Oh, and don’t just focus on weight. I see a lot of folks on here and that I know personally that are not shedding pounds as fast as they want, but they are dropping inches and clothes sizes – this counts too and is a real indicator of success.

Oh, and don’t just focus on weight. I see a lot of folks on here and that I know personally that are not shedding pounds as fast as they want, but they are dropping inches and clothes sizes – this counts too and is a real indicator of success.

Indeed.. I finally gave up on one pair of shorts that was 6 inches too big. They were snug about 4 months ago, when I started my pre-op diet. Take every success where you can, to get you through the rough Patches.

Right now, mine is the sudden increase in hunger levels over the past couple days. I think my first month's loss has finally caught up with my band, and it's now needing its first fill.

Thank you. I think I am starting to understand what you all are saying about this surgery being a "tool." And I am hopeful because I do think a big part of my problem is constant hunger. With that removed, I really hope I will finally find success.

I did have a small glimpse of what life could be like as a "not always hungry person" when I started taking Wellbutrin for depression. It really helped reduce my appetite, and I found it much easier to stick to a diet. Sadly, that effect wore off after 6 months or so......And my hunger returned with a vengeance.

I also am in a good place (mentally and literally) for exercise - I currently run/walk several times a week, and one of my big motivators in getting the surgery is the desire to go back to running like I used to. It is a life-long love of mine, and not being able to run without stopping constantly just makes me sad. I live in a place where EVERYONE is extremely active and in good shape (including my husband and ALL of my friends). I want so much to be like that again.

So, I am hopeful. Congrats to all of you, and thanks again.

Thank you. I think I am starting to understand what you all are saying about this surgery being a "tool." And I am hopeful because I do think a big part of my problem is constant hunger. With that removed, I really hope I will finally find success.

If that's the primary reason, there are a couple different routes. I also suspect in that case that you'd do well. Definitely the sort of discussion to have with are reputable bariatric program.

I also am in a good place (mentally and literally) for exercise - I currently run/walk several times a week, and one of my big motivators in getting the surgery is the desire to go back to running like I used to. It is a life-long love of mine, and not being able to run without stopping constantly just makes me sad. I live in a place where EVERYONE is extremely active and in good shape (including my husband and ALL of my friends). I want so much to be like that again.

This is good: you'll need to do exactly that. With the support of your husband and friends, you have greater chances of long-term success.

As you progress, just keep in mind that different scales read differently, Water is a form of weight you *want*, women tend to lose slower than men, those that start heavier tend to lose faster (it takes more energy to sustain more weight), and that you'll tend to lose weight fastest at the beginning. In the end, don't worry if you gain a pound or two (it's probably Water or solid waste). Don't worry if you don't lose for a week, as long as the downward trend continues for the long term (several weeks, etc -- some folks just lose weight slowly, taking years instead of months). Don't worry about comparing loss with others, because everyone's going to react a little differently. And don't worry if you eventually end up feeling great, but your BMI is "officially" "overweight". BMI is just a quick estimate of body composition, and doesn't take into account many factors.

Oh, I almost forgot.

If you wear shorts, pants, or skirts, buy a nice, elastic belt. One you can cinch all the way. As you lose weight you run the risk of things falling off you. I've only had that happen in private, thankfully, but there are threads here with anecdotes about clothes falling off in churches, grocery stores, the office, ...

The average weight loss is 50% of your excess weight in one year. Some will do better and some worse. I'm at 80% at 10 months and tracking to 90-100% at one year.

The first 60% went pretty easily. Since then I had to work for every pound.

I do not diet, I eat anything I want but in much smaller portions. I have always eaten fairly healthy food, just way too much. I stalled for 4 months and didn't lose any weight, then I started working out and started losing again.

Everyone follows their own path. There is nothing that can stop you from hitting your target of "normal" weight, other than you. Just don't expect it to be handed to you.

Thank you, more helpful insights! I understand that losing 100% of excess weight does not happen for everyone. Still, amazing!

Heh..your story sounds like mine! I am waiting on insurance approval ---but if it doesn't happen I will be self-pay and am considering Dr. Kirschenbaum if it goes that way because my local surgeon is like $16,000......Good luck!

If you want to lose weight in a healthy way, you should fit in a exercise routine and a healthy diet so that your body can stay healthy! Exercise is good for the body.

If you are overweight, the first thing to do is to cut on the unhealthy food (muffins, other cakes, sugary meals, salty meals, burgers, pizza, etc) and start to make your diet turn to salads, fruit, vegetables, lots of fluids.