Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Has anyone been rebanded using the new AP band after an erosion???

I am trying to find someone who has had a rebanding due to an erosion. I have been reconsidered for a lapband again using the new AP band with another doctor that does all 3 bariatric surgeries. I have researched all day today to find a posting from someone who has had good results on their 2nd banding with the Ap band. The new surgeon said it is a better chance of not eroding due to the fact it had a 360 degree balloon around it and no plastic like the other bands were made, most likely causing our erosions. I had my first banding done Dec 05. and lost 100# after a year or so and removed Dec 08. If anyone reading this has any new links or hopeful information I can use please respond soon. I have considered the gastric sleeve but bc/bs empire denied my approval, saying its still investigational and they would consider the gastric bypass or the rebanding. thank you in advance!:)

I had my band removed a few weeks ago due to slippage. I fell out of a kayak in Kauai on vacation and when I climbed back in, my band slipped! I thought I broke a rib. My stomach was too swollen to have a new band put on. My doctors seem to be confident that I can not only maintain my weight loss but lose more weight. I've lost 85 pounds so far but would like to lose more.

I am very interested to see the responses to your post. I am still keeping the option open of having the band placed in me once again.

I have not heard of this new band and am interested in finding out about it. I have read about having the band inserted through the mouth rather than through the stomach with the 5 or 6 incisions. I don't know how many people have had this procedure and would be interested if there is anyone out there that has had the band placed through the mouth.

I would be curious to know why you think you need another band. You appear to have tremendous success in maintaining your weight loss. Did your appetite increase and cravings return? My stomach is still swollen so I do not have much of an appetite or cavings. I am fearful of what will happen when my swollen stomach goes back to its natural state. I've made HUGE changes in the way I eat, exercising, etc. The band was a powerful too and sometimes I think its still there.

Thanks for responding . I have regained 58# since the erosion and have 35 bmi now, trying to controll appetite is very difficult as you will see soon.

The AP band is out and very much improved and seems as if it would greatly reduce and rubbing on the stomach it's placed around as it enclosed in a ring of saline ans is still adjustable for fills. Im sure you can get info online.

Upon removal of first band my my doc said he would not reband me. So now 8 mos. later and healed well I went to another doc( who does all 3 surgeries), for gastric sleeve and found bc/bs empire denied surgery as they say its still investigational and they will consider rebanding or a gastric bypass. The latter of which i'm scared to death of....so I am back the whole process but the sleeve doc would only use the AP band on me and said I would "waste away too quickly", in his exact words only being 35 BMI. uggghhh bc/bs told me I could appeal their decision but I really need alot of assistance in this process...and online support.

Good luck healing and in your next Quest to keep your weight loss at bay. Its not easy at all.:thumbdown:

I had a feeling you would say that (that it is difficult living without the band). Its been pretty easy so far with my food but I think its only been a few weeks since my band was taken out and my stomach is still swollen. I can tell that I can eat more than I used to (little restriction) but I also have little appetite and no cravings (thank goodness).

I will investigate this new band you talk about and see if my bariatric surgeons use it or not. I think you are in Australia? I am in California in the US so the band has not been around as long as it has been where you are located so maybe they are more advanced than here.

I also heard from someone from this site about doctors suturing not only the port area to the stomach but also suturing the band to the stomach. Have you ever heard of that? Maybe this would help slippage. Maybe the new band solves the problem of erosion and slippage.

I was wondering how your port healed after it was taken out? The area were my port was located has been accumulating Fluid and has scar tissue. Its like the size of a small egg. Its very hard. I can't sleep on my stomach like I used to because of the pressure of laying on this area. My doctors have told me that this is common and have been to the doctor twice for them to take the Fluid out. It feels like a fill or unfill when they withdraw the fluid. They told me if it continues to fill up with fluid, they could be a drain in it. Its slowly getting smaller so maybe my body will accumulate it eventually.

Thanks for sharing your experience. Good luck to you! Please keep us posted on what you decide to do. You will be helping not only me but others that are trying to figure out what do without their band.