Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 7/28 and ready for it to be removed

I am having the worst pain...I know it's gas, but I mean, every single time I take a sip of Water or anything, it hits my stomach, then a large gas bubble comes up and I burp. The burp hurts so much (like my chest is gonna explode) then I throw up the water and this mucus stuff. My family physician gave me a shot of phenergan to try to keep stuff down. I kept down about 8 oz of water, but that's all I've kept down since surgery. But the phenergan has worn off and everything is back to the way it was. He said if I couldn't stop throwing everything up I'd have to be admitted for dehydration. I feel like I have made the biggest mistake of my life. Please, is anyone in the same boat, or have been?:)

Have you started exercise - walking on the treadmill? I have heard many say it helps relieve some of the gas pressure that is causing pain. I'm guessing the fact that I walked on my treadmill from day one - including my day of surgery - is what helped make my pain and healing process easier.

Taking the band out won't help with this. You'd likely prolong it by having another surgery where more gas is pumped in, etc.

You had surgery. You have to expect some of this - it will pass! Chin up and muscle through it. I don't mean to sound cold or uncaring, nor to minimize your pain and misery, but you had this surgery to change your LIFE - it's not a little thing, it's a big thing. These few days or even weeks of pain are just the first part of a long marathon and pretty soon they will be a distant memory. For such a big important life decision, it seems you're willing to throw in the towel way too fast and way too easily. Put your game face on - this is a marathon and you're only at the starting line. Don't focus just on the start of the journey - keep in mind the big picture.

Hi,

I was banded on 7/27 so in the same boat, and I am new to this site and posting. I can tell you what has helped me a lot.... taking chewable gas ex, heating pads and walking when I could. Also ask your dr for a prescription for something called zofran. It is a desolvable tablet under your tongue for nausea, but has no side effects of fatigue and such. I use it for another disability with nausea daily and it works wonders. Yes it is easy to be depressed at this stage when you can see nothing but the pain. I knew what was coming after having three c-sections under general with the gas. Also try to sit in a rocking chair and rock away, it gets the gas moving (as if you were walking) and the quicker you can burp it out the quicker the pain will go away.

Hang in there.. our wonderful journey has just begun, but yes pain can overtake anything even something we really want. Just know there is light at the end of the tunnel out there.

Dawn

Having my back rubbed moved that gas like nothing else did...with some slight pressure works best..

Have you talked to your surgeon? The newest lapband the lapband ap comes with a fill and of the three people that I have talked to that got that band ...all three had the same type of symptoms and all three had to go in and have some of the fill taken out and when they did they were able to eat and drink.

As far as the gas goes, walk walk walk and walk some more. But you shouldn't be having that much difficulty drinking just Water. Call the Doc!

Camsonge, I started that way. I was banded July 29/09 and the first 36 hours were exactly like that. I wandered what I had been thinking. I finally phoned my surgeons office. They brought me back in and REMOVED 3.6 cc of Fluid from the band. What I was told was that I swelled more than expected and so the band became too tight. Within 5 minutes of the drain I felt better. I'm hitting almost all of my intake targets as of today. Please call the surgeon, they will know what to do. Your family physician will only be able to manage the symptoms and he is not the one currently in charge with your care.

Please call the surgeon.

Good luck.

Sheri

I didn't have this problem, but I didn't have any saline in my band after surgery. Do you? I would call your surgeons office ASAP.

I am having the worst pain...I know it's gas, but I mean, every single time I take a sip of Water or anything, it hits my stomach, then a large gas bubble comes up and I burp. The burp hurts so much (like my chest is gonna explode) then I throw up the water and this mucus stuff. My family physician gave me a shot of phenergan to try to keep stuff down. I kept down about 8 oz of water, but that's all I've kept down since surgery. But the phenergan has worn off and everything is back to the way it was. He said if I couldn't stop throwing everything up I'd have to be admitted for dehydration. I feel like I have made the biggest mistake of my life. Please, is anyone in the same boat, or have been?:thumbdown:

Are you any better today? I sure hope so. I was banded Friday and fortunately except for some post surgery aches and pains, all seems to be well.

Are you any better today? I sure hope so. I was banded Friday and fortunately except for some post surgery aches and pains, all seems to be well.

I meant to add this to the end of my last post..."Please keep us posted on your progress!!

I had the same symptoms, minus the throwing up. Went back in 5 days post op and had 4cc of saline removed. Much better after that. Took about 3 days to feel "normal". Port site is still a bit tender because of the untill but eveything else is better. Call your surgeon! Hang in there!

Ha ha ARB, I was jsut going to suggest you talk to her. She had the exact same problem! She is a great source to go to! Good luck!

Please realize SURGEONS control the fill level in the band...in that, if there's some in there immediately post op either the surgeon put it there or left it there.

Some surgeons do FILLS during surgery which I'm starting to think in my non-professional opinion is almost cruel.

I have an AP-L band and did not have any fill in it whatsover (except a little primer that didn't impact the tightness) until MY DOC put some in there with MY APPROVAL!!

Ok. sigh. If you are filled even a little you need it removed. Otherwise your doc should be able to help you; many people swell post op (another reason fills during surgery are almost overkill). Hang in there; it gets better.

Be on the phone to your surgeon 1st thing monday; see if you have a fill, decide how you feel and if it needs to be removed. Good luck. You aren't alone; you'll make it! Let us know how you feel tomorrow, ok?

I was just recently banded on July 29th and I'm having problems with the gas and not being able to burp. I feel like I need to burp, but it just wont come up. I've been walking and taking plenty of Gas X, but the Gas X is not doing it for me. I'm on my second box. So today my sister told me about chewing on some crystalized ginger from HEB. I just bought a bag of it and will see if it helps me. She told me to just eat a penny to a nickel size portion.

I have a 14cc band and my doctor filled me with 8cc the day of surgery. I'm able to keep everything down that I eat so I do not think I'm too tight. If I could just get rid of the gas and start burping I will feel much normal.

LOVELYASKANBE:

DONT eat the ginger till your doc approves it. It may trigger digestive actions in your stomach which could cause your band to slip. Don't mean to panic you but don't eat or take anything your doc doesn't approve during this time!

AND 8cc in 14 cc band is almost ...well...

I have 7 cc in my 14 cc band and am at my sweet spot. I think you are overfilled, especially for your stage.

Call your doc tomorrow; you probably need a small unfill.

And ask then about the ginger ok?

RestlessMonkey,

Thank you for the advice, I have already taken the ginger, but will call my doctor in the am to see if the ginger will have a negative side effect to my band.

I did not think about consulting my doc first before I took the ginger, I guess I was in a hurry to get some relief from these gas pains. :)

Thanks again