Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have tried to stay positive, I have stayed with the program to the letter, I get on the scale at the same time every morning, I want to continue to have hope... but like all the diets all the years before, stepping on that scale, instead, is sending me into depression...especially now when i have had the highest of hopes ever having the lapband.

-i was banded 18 days ago and have been back to full activity, including my karate classes for over a week (docs approved)

- i had a fill at surgery and feel "some" restriction, BUT, will get stuck if i push it (twice). averages per day are 900 cals , 28 carbs and 52 Protein... DOC agrees i should be losing weight with these averages and something is wrong. He wants to wait til sunday to check my weight before we do anything yet.

- i recently uber increased Water intake (peeing all day) and cut out all salt.

- my measurements haven't moved either since 4 days post op.

i have lost nothing... in fact ...i have gained a pound

so goes the story of my entire fat life... only the most restrictive, unhealthy, self-depriving of diets have EVER worked for me...and of course with those, it all comes back when you eat normal again (15 of the 16.5 lost per my ticker were preop liquids). i know it is early, but really, i do not see a light at the end of my tunnel.:crying:... what more can one do??????

Edited by katwmn63

You are SO early out of surgery! Don't be so hard on yourself!

firstly, maybe you should lose the scale for awhile. Hide it or have someone else hide it from you. Secondly, 16.4 pounds is a great amount to lose! The time between surgery and your first fill are for healing, not necessarily weight loss. If you lose some weight in that time its a *bonus*. Many people actually gain some weight.

Around the 2nd week after surgery, I stopped losing and the scale didn't budge for probably almost 2 weeks.

Anyways, the point is, take it easy, keep your chin up, and cut yourself some slack. You are doing great and I'm sure you'll continue to be successful!

thanks... but 15 of those pounds were pre op liquids. but i do appreciate your words... and i am trying to get the hope back to push forward another week ... many have advised me to put the scale for a week... but if i got on the scale this morning and compared it to last week at this time.... the depression would be so much worse.

but thanks again! i do appreciate kind words and motivations more than i can say!!

Edited by katwmn63

Hi Kat! You may need to increase your calorie intake. Your body is probably holding onto everything it can because it feels as though it may be in "starvation" mode. Try increasing to 1200 calories a day!!!

Good luck! You will get there. My body's weird too. I can be good all week and not lose a single pound but the minute I stick something bad or high in calories in me I lose 2 lbs the next day. It's crazy!!!

I'm sorry to hear you're having a hard time. We were banded on the same day. As violinist said, it's common to gain weight once you go from the preop diet which had very limited calorie intake, to increasing your calorie intake. Also, from what it sounds like you may not be getting enough calories in since you seem to be doing some good exercise, so your body might be holding on ot every last calorie thinking it's starving.

I just don't think that this is enough time to really let the band help you. This is time for healing. I agree that the scale should be put away for a while. As many have said before, it takes a few fills before finding your sweet spot, and until you are there, it can be a rough ride. Hang in there, it sounds like you are doing the right things, but maybe your body has other focuses right now like healing rather than losing weight. Good luck!

It sounds like you might not be getting enough calories. If youre working out that hard you need more calories. Your body might just be hanging on to every calorie. Now run this by your doctor but you might need to up your calorie intake to about 1000-1200. Even with the lapband the same rules apply towards exercise and fuelling the body. Plus maybe try weighing yourself once a week. I know for me it would drive me crazy if i stepped on the scale everyday.

Sorry you are frustrated - we've all been there.

My suggestions are to put the scale away for a week, increase your calorie intake by 100-200 if you are exercising a lot, and give yourself some time!!!! You are still healing from surgery. Weeks 2-6 after surgery I gained and lost the same 3 pounds. My doc said not to be surprised if I gained during that period.

So don't stress out this early - give yourself time to heal, eat a few more healthy calories, and weigh again in a week or two. You'll read some posts by people who are fortunate enough to lose in this time period, but most of us bandsters don't.

Edited by bambam

Kat, kat, Kat!

Relax.

You are still HEALING, actually.

The Band is not a "Switch" that turns weight loss on. Or weight gain off.

It's a whole different thing, and you are still right at the Beginning.

The whole Lap band Experience is SO different for everybody. It might be a few more weeks before you see any changes. Or it could start tomorrow.

But, as everyone here has already said, you are at the BEGINNING of this process, really. You need to give it some time.

Life with the band is all about "tuning". Adjusting what you eat, when you eat, how much you eat, how much Fluid you have in the band, etc. There are people here who went for a LONG time before they began to lose. But, then it just began to ROLL off, and they were on their way.

If you have concerns, talk to your Surgeon. But I'm pretty certain that he/she will tell you the same thing everyone here is telling you: Relax, and be patient. It will happen.

Just give it some time. :crying:

HH

I think everyone has already made the valid points. I would just add that you really don't weigh that much (if I'm reading your counter right). You might not drop weight initially as quickly as some of us heavy weights. 1-2lbs weight loss a week is what you should expect anyways. If you are doing as much activity as you say you are, you just might be building muscle as well. From what I understand, the post op period is what is most difficult for everybody...I've hit day 10 and I see my weight loss slowing down, but I've also started the mushy part of the diet as well.

Best of luck and dont let the scale dictate your life! You have made steps to being a healthier person and let those steps be your focus.

I wouldn't change much for alittle longer. Though 900 calories is not alot, I was going on 700-800 a day with alittle exercise when I was at your stage. The increase in calories might not help. You could still have some inflammation around your scares still. Just be patient. As someone else stated, you might be gaining alittle muscle while you are losing fat. If you have not lost any weight in another week or two, then I would consider increase in exercise, calories, etc.

Don't worry about the scale for awhile, just worry about doing what you are suppose to do. The weight will start to come off.

You are SO early out of surgery, PLEASE don't get on that stupid scale.< /p>

Honestly, I'm surprised your doctor also agrees that you should be losing more weight. Seriously, my Doctor told me that I would GAIN weight for the first 6 weeks, NOT lose a little, GAIN!!

This is a lifelong change, and what you are going through is called Bandster Hell for a reason, it SUCKS!! It is HARD, it is DEPRESSING, and it requires COMMITMENT, all of those things we've all dealt with pre-band.

PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE don't give up on yourself or the band, it really hasn't even started working! Your body is still healing and will hold onto liquid for god knows how long. I was swollen and didn't lose a pound for over a MONTH!! YES I wanted to lose more, YES I got discouraged, but I NEVER let it keep me from moving forward.

You're doing GREAT, STAY OFF THE SCALE UNTIL SEPTEMBER :crying:

I will hold on to weight. If I weigh in every day over the course of a week, I might gain and lose the same 2 pounds!

I have found that taking a day and eating a "max-out" of calories (which for me is around 1200 - 1300), and then not weighing for a couple of days seems to make my body let go of the weight.

Also, so close to being banded, you might be retaining a lot of Water. I hold water like a bucket!!

I agree you need to stay off the scale. Do whatever you have to but don't weigh yourself everyday. It'll drive you mad. I had my surgery on 7/10 and have only lost 12 pounds since then. Most of the reason for that was that I really couldn't eat much at the beginning. I am exercising now and that does seem to help.

Take it easy on yourself and just calm down. As I've heard many times on here-- you didn't put the weight on overnight and it won't come off overnight. Just have some patience. It'll be okay.

First off you need to stop telling yourself that the band is not working. Like all the others above said you are way too soon out of surgery to be saying it's not working.......

This is a long long lifetime journey, you will sometimes have a good loss and other times you won't loose any or maybe even a gain in pounds.

Having the right attitude with the band is crucial to success, and it will be a long miserable journey with the wrong attitude and you definetly won't lose weight............

Your body will give back when you treat it right and do the right thing........it might just take some time.....

That scale needs to go, weigh once a week at the same time if you have to and IMOP newbies should not weigh till about 6+ weeks out..........

Be easy on yourself, change your thought process, maybe change something up in your routine but absolutley lose the negative attitude........

awww Kat.. Give yourself a break. You haven't been banded for long. You knew coming into this what type of a struggle it would be. I know it is a little disheartning to not see that scale move down but atleast it isn't moving up. and you really can't count 1 lb. Your time will come. I know the knowlege you had about this surgery before you got it done and I know this is just a little bump in the road for you. Give it more time. I do know how you feel. I was freak'n because I couldn't lose any on my pre-op diet. Shoot I only lost 5 lbs and it should have been more. You are doing great and you inspire me to do great. This will work for you and me.... Don't be so hard on yourself.... WE WILL DO IT... love you, Jennifer