Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Help! Banded yesterday(7/28) & in pain!

I was banded yesterday (7/28) and I am in so much pain. I am trying to control it with the tylenol w/ codeine the doctor gave me, but it only gives me about an hour & a half of relief. I just wanted to know form others how long the pain lasts!! Also, I forgot to ask the doctor if I can chew gum... does anyone know if its ok? Thanks!!

I know it's painfull, but stick with it and take your pain medicine! DO NOT CHEW GUM!!!!!!!!! If you swallow it, it WILL get stuck! You don't want anything to get stuck right now while you're healing. The most important thing right now is to get your liquids in and heal. Good luck to you! In a few days you'll feel much better!

Hi,

I am truly sorry about your pain. I would call your Dr. if it gets worse! As for gum, my Doc said NO GUM! When I asked why, it is because chewing causes the stomach to move and churn (even though we can't feel it). That is why we are on liquids and then mushies that don't need to be chewed.

a heating pad helped me ALOT!! i had that heating pad wraped around my belly area for the first 4-5 days..it realy brought some comfort and my doc said it was fine.

when i got gas up in my shoulder, it helped to have my daughter thump it (like burping a baby)...it seemed to loosen it up a bit.

hang in there ...you will feel better very soon!!!

If you still feel bad tomorrow, call your doc. Pain is expected but if you can't get but 1 - 1/2 hours of relief you may need to be back in the hospital for stronger stuff, or he may have some other (less drastic) tips.

Good luck!

We're all different...I didn't have much pain. I was a little sore (like back when I actually DID sit ups) but that's about it.

I did not have much pain except in my back under my shoulder blades and that heating pad became my life saver. Also if you get up and move around as much as you can this will help too. The gas that builds up I think puts pressure on other parts of your insides and that is what makes some of us experience more pain then others.

Good luck and remember call the doc if it does not get any better...

NO GUM!! If you swallow it may need emergency surgery- per my doc he has had to do this 2 times in 2 yrs... no gum ever! It can block the top stomach to the lower stomach... I didn't have much pain so can't help there.

Mine was the 28th as well. Mostly my pain is near the port. It feels like I am stretchong or pulling it everytime I move. Gettin up and down (from the bed, toilet, couch ) sem to be the worst. I also am still using the gas-x strips. I am not sure why but I still am having a bit of gas that seems to aggravate a bit. You're in my prayers.

Of course you know by now... NO GUM. My doctor didn't tell me this and I had my band in Mexico, so when we flew back of course I chewed gum on the plane. BIG mistake... thank God I didn't swallow it, but it made my stomach churn and hurt something aweful!!

As far as the pain, I know exactly what you are talking about. I had a lot of pain my first day after surgery. My doctor told me not to worry, it would be MUCH better the 2nd day, and it was just like he said. In Mexico you stay in the hospital for 2 nights after surgery, so I was on IV narcotics which helped a lot and cant imagine only taking Tylenol with codine for this... the US in a lot different. I would call the Doctor today and ask for something stronger. Then, if your not quite a bit better tomorrow, let them know. The spot where your port is will be sore for weeks probably. Mine was. And, yes it pull and feels like a very sore muscle. They sewed the port into your muscle, so that is why. It does take awhile to heal for most people. Hang in there, it does get better, it just takes time, more for some than others.

AmyNsaint, Yes, I was in the worst pain imaginable, but can tell you now, (I am 7 days post op), that it will get better. At your point in time, I thought I would never feel good again. I am Still taking the pain medication, hydrocodone, but every 6-7 hours instead of every four hours. I have only a few more days meds left and think I will be able to go to regular tylenol.

Do everything you can to make yourself more comfortable. If you have support at home, use them to help you when you need to move about. Also, if you can, use one of those things that heightens the toilet seat. I wish I had had that. Most all I've read about also used the recliner much more or instead of a bed.

I was afriad of the pain becuse it was so unexpected to me, You can get through it! Yes, you can! Good luck and try to sleep as much as possible! Take care of yourself.

I am really surprised that so many docs prescribe tylenol with codeine instead of vicodin. Anyway vicodin doesn't really do it for me so I asked for something else I got roxicet which is percaset(sp?) which works well. I luckily haven't had to use it the pain hasn't been that bad. However, try to sleep as much as possible even if it is a short time it will aid in healing which will clear up the pain. And walk as much as possible I was told ever time I got up to make laps around the house...sometimes I would just stand since the it felt like I was stretching my body. Even if the naps are only a short time do not let yourself get tired! Good luck and call the doc you may have a low grade infection or it may just be regular pain!

im a week post op and i agree with everything that has been said. the pain does get much better, days 2-4 was my worst. i regretted getting it but i knew it was mostly in my head due to the pain i was in. i thought ppl who said it would get better was just being nice, lol, but it truly does get better. the meds i was prescribed put me to sleep for longer than 1 hour or so, i would call the dr and ask for something stronger.

try to start moving around more too, it has helped. dont push yourself too hard though, listen to your body.

i ope you start feeling better.

Thank you everyone sooo much for the support and encouragement!! Today the pain was so much more bearable, I have even cut back on the meds:smile2:. I have been walking several times today, just 10 minutes at a time, but I think that is helping with the gas, and making me feel back to normal! I am excited for this new journey and so glad that there are so many people ready to encourage and share their experiences!

At the risk of echoing what everyone else has said, NO GUM! :laugh: In addition to it getting stuck, consider this: When you chew, you inadvertently swallow some air. Mercy, the gas is bad enough without adding to it!! :tt2: Also, drink EVERYTHING (hot or cold) through a straw. Again, it helps cut down on the air you "swallow".

And the pain? I thought I was gonna die that first day!! I was hurting so bad I was crying. It felt like I'd been beat with a lead pipe!! Thank goodness the "bad" pain was short-lived. I really hope you're feeling better Honey. KEEP WALKING!!! (it helps tremendously!!) :smile2:

(((hugs)))

Susan