Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Connecticut Banders

Thank you! I'm nervous about all this but very excited!! I've tried everything and I'm hoping that this tool will help me!! I have to wait 6 months to get my surgery because CIGNA requires a 6 month supervised nutrition program. But that's ok...it will give me time to prepare. :)) Keep in touch!!

Dr. Shady Macaron :))

He's awesome...very nice and very helpful, he works out of St. Mary's Hospital.

Hi, I am Peggie from Bridgeport.

My date is Sept. 22. I am having the band placed at St. Vincent's with Dr Ehrlich.

....discharge when the time comes.

Good luck to all of you. Peggie

Hi Peggie,

I am so sorry for not getting back on this web site. We have just been so busy. I have 3 kids, but they are younger than yours. A Chef? That is pretty cool. That is something that I have always wanted to do. I am an engineer by day and sometimes work part time at Bertucci's at night. I love making pizza with a brick oven. Anyway, YES, don't ride your bike. Maybe you can do something that you never considered, write a story, book, song, etc.... There is so much you can do. I truely wish you the best. I go in tomorrow (9/8). A bit nervous, I guess, but I promise to tell you about it. Take care and keep up your good work. Tren!

Thanks Tren. I'm sure it will be here for I know it. I'm so excited and this is something I can't wait for! I'm ready to change my life and be more healthy and feel better! I acutally have my Pulmonary exam tomorrow...what do I need to know?? Can anyone help me?

Hi Kristy, Sorry, I have been away a bit. How did it go? Looks like you are moving forward. I go in tomorrow for the surgery on 9/8. I'll let you know. The other tests that you will go through are pretty much painless. I had to do a Ketosis diet test for 1 week which was not much fun, but got though it. Just keep your positive attitude and it will be here before you know it! Good Luck! Tren

Hi all, I live in NY but work in CT so I had my surgery in CT, so I am a half CT bandster I guess. :thumbup:

Hey Bookwormswot, looks like you are doing pretty well. Nice job! I go in tomorrow. The date really snuck up on me. Tren

Hello all! I am just starting my journey..I look forward to learning from all of you! Krisy..I live in Naugatuck too!! If you dont mind me asking..what Dr are you using? I am still on the research phase but hope to have things falling into place soon!! Thanks!

Hi aidensmommy, Don't worry, it may at times seem like a long wait, but it will go quickly. Please let me know if you have any questions. Hopefully I can help. Good Luck. Tren

Good luck tomorrow Tren...I will be thinking of you! Please come on when you are feeling up to it and let us now how you did! What dr are you using?? You did it!!!

hi tren good luck tomorrow, surgery will be a breeze, i am rooting for ya. go tren.

Good luck Tren!!! Hope that everything goes well!!! Wishing you a speedy recovery! Let us know how everything goes. :mad:

Good luck today Tren.

Let us all know tomorrow how you are feeling after discharge. That is what I am most worried about, the pain after.

I moved up my surgery to Sept. 18. 9 days to go..

I started the liquids a week early with only 2 nights where I ate food (broiled chicken and steamed veggies) the rest of the time I am doing 4 shakes because I am just too full to drink the 5th. I am also drinking alot of crystal light but I like it watered down, one packet to 32 oz Water.

I lost 16 lbs already!

I am getting no support from my sons. They said they don't support me at all and can't understand why I just don't diet and forget surgery. My reply to them was my insurance wouldn't have approved me if they thought I wasn't eligible.

I have lost weight in the past and gained it right back, and that was when I could exercise, and only because of some kind of surgery: uvulectomy for sleep apnea and I lost 50 lbs because I couldn't eat for 6 weeks. Then when I had chemo I lost 40 lbs because I couldn't eat much for 3 months. But every time I lost the weight it seemed to find me a few months later.

So I am alone in this venture, my sister who had GBP does understand but she lives in FL.

These boards do help me feel I am doing the right thing, my health is important, I have to live to see my grandson get married and have a family.

Hi Everyone,

As you know, I was banded on Tuesday. I am glad that I took a few days to heal before I came back on-line. As I was waiting to go in, I started doubting my decision. I guess that is normal. I have always had a hard time volunteering for surgery when it was not mandatory. But I was brought in and the staff was great. The doctor gave me a sedative to calm my nerves a bit. I think it is standard. Anyway, soon after that I was put to sleep. The only thing I remember was that I was having a really good dream and then was woken up. Surgery was over. I was really uncomforable and could not take deep breaths, which added to the confusion/frustration on coming out of anastasia. I will be honest, at that moment I thought, "what in the heck did you do??" By the time I got to my room I was still in a lot of discomfort and I had two hernia's that they had to fix which I did not know. Anyway, I had surgery around 3pm and got to my room around 5'ish. Yes I was in a lot of pain, but by the time 10pm hit I was up and walking with very little pain. I even told the nurse no every time they came to give my pain meds. I was up most of the night walking bymyself (my decision). The air was so dry and warm in the hospital that my throat was too dry to sleep. The next morning the doctor came by and checked me out. He asked if I was taking the pain meds? I told him no, because I felt really good and have been walking all night. He told me not to be a hero and to take them. So after he left, I did. Soon after I was feeling pretty sore. SO TAKE YOUR PAIN MEDS! Even if you don't think you need it. What your body went through will catch up to you. I left the hospital on Wed, 23 hours after the surgery. I was still pretty sore. Thursday was much better and today was really good. I finally took a shower. After you get out, you will be sore and not in constant pain, but the gas still trapped in your system will hurt from time to time. It did take me a while to go to the bathroom again too. It was like I forgot how...wierd. You will have to keep working the gas out of your system. Today, I am glad I went through it. The liquid diet is not bad because you are not hungry. Oh before they discharge you, you will most likely have to get an xray as I did. It is not bad, but I got 1 oz of this stuff that tasted like stale vic's formula 44. I did not like it and I was worried about throwing up, but never did. In fact I have never had the feeling of throwing up, so that is good. OK that was it in a nut shell. I know you are asking, would I do it again? I guess the best way to answer that it, is like when I went to Bootcamp at Parris Island when I joined the US Marines. I am glad I did it, but I would never want to go through it again. Deep down, I know this was the right decision and in the long run, my over all health is what is important. Good Luck and feel free to ask me any questions

Tren,

did they fix the hernias laproscopicly or did they have to cut you?

My Dr feels that I might have a hernia due to my breast cancer and the type of reconstruction I had. He had me sign a form saying that if he finds one I give him permission to fix it. He also had me sign a form saying that if he feels it is necessary he will do a surgical placement rather than a laproscopic.

I really think that is what is going to happen due to the reconstruction. They rebuilt my breast with my stomach (free tummy tuck) but they made my lower belly below my bellybutton so tight that I don't think they will be able to inflate it with gas enough for him to move around.

Guess I will just have to wait and see, Friday is coming soon. Peggie

PS, just finished making and decorating my grandson's birthday cake for his party tomorrow. They are having pizza and cake, my two favorites. I might have to leave my house tomorrow I am starving this week and the shakes just aren't doing it for me.

Tren, thanks for the update about your surgery and the tips for those of us who have it coming up. Expect pain and discomfort that won't last long. Walk. Take pain meds :tongue2:

I'm Anne from New Haven and I'm being banded at Yale New Haven Hospital on Oct. 29. I'm nervous and excited and yeah, wondering if I'm making the right decision now that I have a date and it's real. But I know I am and that brings peace.

I'm so glad to have found all of you!

Tren,

did they fix the hernias laproscopicly or did they have to cut you?

My Dr feels that I might have a hernia due to my breast cancer and the type of reconstruction I had. He had me sign a form saying that if he finds one I give him permission to fix it. He also had me sign a form saying that if he feels it is necessary he will do a surgical placement rather than a laproscopic.

I really think that is what is going to happen due to the reconstruction. They rebuilt my breast with my stomach (free tummy tuck) but they made my lower belly below my bellybutton so tight that I don't think they will be able to inflate it with gas enough for him to move around.

Guess I will just have to wait and see, Friday is coming soon. Peggie

PS, just finished making and decorating my grandson's birthday cake for his party tomorrow. They are having pizza and cake, my two favorites. I might have to leave my house tomorrow I am starving this week and the shakes just aren't doing it for me.

Hi Peggie, yes they did it while they were in there laproscopically. I have 4 small incisions and a 5th for the port. All of mine are high, except for the port. I have nothing around my belly button. In fact, I have no incisions on the "roll" area if you will except for the port. I was under the understanding that if they could not do it the lap band laperscopically, then they would cut. This would include if he seen anything else in there. I think everyone is under that thought process. I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Peggie, I am sure you already spoken to your doctor about this, so don't worry. I remember I was geeking out abit, because I was afraid that my live did not shrink enough. After the surgery, I asked my doctor, how was my liver? He looked at me weird and said why? It was fine. So I worried for nothing. Don't worry about the party. Make yourself a chicken wrap with lettuce and cuke's for dinner and just have a small piece of the cake. Maybe one or two fork fulls and thats it. Maybe the one fork will be enough, if so, don't have the second. At least you will enjoy the taste and not break the diet. Good Luck :tongue2: Tren