Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do I know When I'm full?

I'm on mushies and ate 3 meals today because I needed the Protein but wasn't really really hungry. So, how do you know when you're full when you're not real hungry to begin with?

I've wondered the same thing. I've read people here say they're full, but I wonder if it's satiety? I'm curious to see in the future. I'm on purees at the moment and I eat when hungry just until I'm not hungry. I have not experienced what I would consider fullness as experienced before surgery. I just get this nice ok I'm not hungry anymore and stop. I get hungry often and wonder if I'm eating too much. If I eat something thicker, like hummus, I stay satisfied a few hours. I think that most of my mushies are just sliding on through. I guess next week it will get better once I begin soft foods as far as satiety.

This is the most difficult period just before you go to solids. Everyone is different as far as when they are full. I really never felt full the whole time but I just limited myself to a certain amount each day and watched my caloric intake. It is a challenge not to overeat during this time. My stomach growled a lot but when I got onto solids and that took care of it. Now, even though I don't have my first fill until 08-04, I can tell when I am full and I stop even if I haven't eaten what I set out for myself.

For me when I was at that stage I knew I was satisfied when I really didn't care if I took another bite or not. Hungry and satisfied will get more clear the further out from surgery you get. At this point you almost just need to eat the amount recommended by your doctor (so your intake isn't too little), let things heal, and before long you'll be relearning your body's signs all over again.

in the mushies stage i just measured foods-- i was allowed to have about 1 1/2 cups of food

now, i try to judge by measuring also, but my doc also said to listen to your body's signals, one of them is to sigh, another is to hiccup (if you hiccup, you've eaten either too much or too fast and must stop)

I think there were a few more signs too. My doc said you should NOT eat until full, but just eat the measured amounts and you'll be satiated. So, your stomach won't be growling.

However, w/my 2nd fill, I now feel more satisfied, and for longer periods, with only the recommended amount of food.< /p>

That is SUCH a good question!! And for me, the answer has changed as I have gone through stages - I constantly have to re-learn what "full" means. I will tell you the stages I've gone through so far. But first, let me say that "full" like after-Thanksgiving, ugh I ate too much full, is NOT the objective - ever again. We got hooked on that feeling, but we need to get over it! We're not after that kind of "full" anymore - sorry.

On full liquids - I used a baby spoon and ate 2-3 bites, stopped and waited 5 minutes, ate 2 bites more and waited - until I kinda got a "weird" feeling, not hurt not pain just kind of - pressure, in the stomach not the throat. On mushies, at first I got "full" in my stomach - on 2 tablespoons. This is the stage when the really deep burps started when I had eaten enough - they start down in my knees and rumble on up through, very low and slow and . . .satisfied! It actually feels good, but it's REALLY rude to anyone around you, LOL. I was eating more like a cup to get full when I went to solids. That was TOTALLY different! I would get "full" in my POUCH, not my stomach - and I hated it! I wanted to be full in my stomach, NOT in my stupid throat!! I got really down about the whole thing during this time, whined a LOT to my support group. Then slowly, as I started getting fills, the "full" feeling did transfer back to my stomach - I only feel it in my throat (pouch) right after I eat, then feel full in my stomach for hours. And I still do the long low burp thing!

So it changes - a lot - it's important to go slow and LISTEN to your body. Feel something weird? Stop and wait for that feeling to develop - or go away. Stuff is different with a band! You'll know - if you overeat one time (we ALL do it one time), you will really hurt and you wont be eager to do it again!

Good luck!

Thanks so much for all of your input! I love LBT. It's full of great people!

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Eve411

April Surgery
      Am I the only struggling to get weight down. I started with weight of 297 and now im 280 but seem to not lose more weight. My nutrtionist told me not to worry about the pounds because I might still be losing inches. However, I do not really see much of a difference is this happen to any of you, if so any tips?
      Thanks
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • Clueless_girl

Well recovering from gallbladder removal was a lot like recovering from the modified duodenal switch surgery, twice in 4 months yay 🥳😭. I'm having to battle cravings for everything i shouldn't have, on top of trying to figure out what happens after i eat something. Sigh, let me fast forward a couple of months when everyday isn't a constant battle and i can function like a normal person again! 😞
      · 0 replies
    • KeeWee

It's been 10 long years! Here is my VSG weight loss surgiversary update..
      https://www.ae1bmerchme.com/post/10-year-surgiversary-update-for-2024 
      · 0 replies
    • Aunty Mamo

Iʻm roughly 6 weeks post-op this morning and have begun to feel like a normal human, with a normal human body again. I started introducing solid foods and pill forms of medications/supplements a couple of weeks ago and it's really amazing to eat meals with my family again, despite the fact that my portions are so much smaller than theirs. 
      I live on the island of Oʻahu and spend a lot of time in the water- for exercise, for play,  and for spiritual & mental health. The day I had my month out appointment with my surgeon, I packed all my gear in my truck, anticipating his permission to get back in the ocean. The minute I walked out of that hospital I drove straight to the shore and got in that water. Hallelujah! My appointment was at 10 am. I didn't get home until after 5 pm. 
      I'm down 31 pounds since the day of surgery and 47 since my pre-op diet began, with that typical week long stall occurring at three weeks. I'm really starting to see some changes lately- some of my clothing is too big, some fits again. The most drastic changes I notice however are in my face. I've also noticed my endurance and flexibility increasing. I was really starting to be held up physically, and I'm so grateful that I'm seeing that turn around in such short order. 
      My general disposition lately is hopeful and motivated. The only thing that bugs me on a daily basis still is the way those supplements make my house smell. So stink! But I just bought a smell proof bag online that other people use to put their pot in. My house doesn't stink anymore. 

· 0 replies
    • BeanitoDiego

Oh yeah, something I wanted to rant about, a billing dispute that cropped up 3 months ago.
      Surgery was in August of 2023. A bill shows up for over $7,000 in January. WTF? I asks myself. I know that I jumped through all of the insurance hoops and verified this and triple checked that, as did the surgeon's office. All was set, and I paid all of the known costs before surgery.
      A looong story short, is that an assistant surgeon that was in the process of accepting money from my insurance company touched me while I was under anesthesia. That is what the bill was for. But hey, guess what? Some federal legislation was enacted last year to help patients out when they cannot consent to being touched by someone out of their insurance network. These types of bills fall under something called, "surprise billing," and you don't have to put up with it.
      https://www.cms.gov/nosurprises
      I had to make a lot of phone calls to both the surgeon's office and the insurance company and explain my rights and what the maximum out of pocket costs were that I could be liable for. Also had to remind them that it isn't my place to be taking care of all of this and that I was going to escalate things if they could not play nice with one another.
      Quick ending is that I don't have to pay that $7,000+. Advocate, advocate, advocate for yourself no matter how long it takes and learn more about this law if you are ever hit with a surprise bill.
      · 0 replies
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches