Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ghetto

The behavior I have experienced on this website in the past week is truly sickening. I personally have been attacked and called names as if I were in a grade school playground. This site is about supporting one another and if the forum moderators are unable to control the behavior of grown adults on this site then those so called grown adults should be banned from this site. I don't care who you are if you can't behave and play nice you should not be allowed to play at all.

Since when was this thread about YOU???? You think the whole freakin’ world is about YOU!!

LOL!! Stop it, you’re killin’ me! You can’t be serious! LMAO!!

You take a thread that’s on an entirely, totally different subject and drop-kick yourself RIGHT INTO IT!

Too much. Simply toooooo much….LMAO!

Ok, Elisabeth, I think everyone would agree that this thread should be moved over to R&R, where it belongs. If anyone wants to continue this over there, that’s fine.

Oh, man. Too much.

HH

I'm giggling.

I'm snow white and I was raised in the ghetto. I've called my friends ghetto, they've called me ghetto - in fun.

What's wrong that people get so worked up? It's a word and it can only effect you if you want it to.

Breath in, count to 10 and let the small stuff go.

Unless they come after someone with burning crosses, I think we can click "ignore" and go on.

There was a thread on here about a year ago over the word "retard". Someone called someone else's actions "retarded" and a member got very offended because she has a family member who is mentally retarded.

Personally, I love the term "tard" and use it often in my relationships. I also cuss like a sailor and the F word brings a smile to my face on my darkest days...

That said, I do understand that there is a time and place for both vulgarity and possibly offensive terms.

Which explains why I don't speak much in public.

God forbid I offend some tard from the ghetto and get my ass kicked.

Ok, Elisabeth, I think everyone would agree that this thread should be moved over to R&R, where it belongs. If anyone wants to continue this over there, that’s fine.

It's already there. :thumbup:

God forbid I offend some tard from the ghetto and get my ass kicked.

Too funny!

And how is it you don't act all ghetto? You musta washed it off or sumpin'. :thumbup:

HH - Your reaction (over-reaction actually) has just proven my point - thank you! Heaven forbid someone speak out against you.

I am fully aware of the entire content of the thread - have chosen not to speak because I believe enough had been said.

You actually opened the new subject by stating you had to 'beat things' in to people who don't get it.

As was already stated - many of us have witnessed your ways - you did not have to say this for your tactics to be known.

Ok, I missed something somewhere. I'm not really sure what this thread is about, but I am also snow white and was raised in the ghetto. In fact, I just moved from there not long ago!

HH - Your reaction (over-reaction actually) has just proven my point - thank you! Heaven forbid someone speak out against you.

I am fully aware of the entire content of the thread - have chosen not to speak because I believe enough had been said.

You actually opened the new subject by stating you had to 'beat things' in to people who don't get it.

As was already stated - many of us have witnessed your ways - you did not have to say this for your tactics to be

known.

“HH - Your reaction (over-reaction actually) has just proven my point - thank you! Heaven forbid someone speak out against you.”

Huh? What the hell are you talking about?

“ am fully aware of the entire content of the thread - have chosen not to speak because I believe enough had been said. “

Again….What the hell are you talking about?

“You actually opened the new subject by stating you had to 'beat things' in to people who don't get it.”

I didn’t “open” the “new subject”..I responded to an existing subject. See, that’s part of my point: people don’t READ. Or they can’t read. Or both.

“As was already stated - many of us have witnessed your ways - you did not have to say this for your tactics to be known. “

And the point is exactly? You wasted good disk space and bandwidth for what? Huh?

Jeez.

HH

Actually, if the ghetto weren't, in reality, a scary place then people wouldn't be offended by it. Eye of the beholder kinda thing.

To us, most of us, to say we are American is a source of pride. Go to Europe, say you're American and it's the same as saying in Bev. Hills that you're from the "ghetto". People look at it differently from different perspectives.

We are American...yet America is a place. But I am American. A Virginian/Texan. A Northern Virginian/Houstonian.

I can localize it further and further, but the point is where we are from does define us, for better or worse. We can rise above (the ghetto) or fall from (the River Oaks) - and how we act will show others who we are and where we are from - or who we are acting like.

You can "act" like you're from somewhere and it doesn't have to define you as a person.

You can "behave" like you're ghetto-born, upper class-born - whatever. But, others will see you as they want to, and peg you into a certain group. Fat, black, white...we can't change human nature by changing words. Words are just words and they mean nothing. 100 years from now new words will be in the dictionary, and others will be gone.

Personally words don't offend me as much as the emotion behind it. If someone is laughing and says I'm being ghetto, then I laugh too - life is too short.

And, the emotion is irrevelant on a message board.

Glou - Beautifully stated!

If it wasn't for the new "Ghetto" post I never would have read "5th day out and yes I ate chicken" which I had already missed!! It was enjoyable but now I can't get that damn Elvis Presley song out of my head "In the Ghetto" so thanks a bunch!!!

What's the big deal with that word? Isn't that the name of the dude that created a wooden puppet that comes to life and whose nose lengthens everytime the puppet lies? Or am I confused?

What's the big deal with that word? Isn't that the name of the dude that created a wooden puppet that comes to life and whose nose lengthens everytime the puppet lies? Or am I confused?

LMAO! :thumbup:

HH

Columbia Encyclopedia: ghetto Top

Home > Library > Miscellaneous > Columbia Encyclopedia

ghetto (gĕt'ō) , originally, a section of a city in which Jews lived; it has come to mean a section of a city where members of any racial group are segregated. In the early Middle Ages the segregation of Jews in separate streets or localities was voluntary. The first compulsory ghettos were in Spain and Portugal at the end of the 14th cent. The ghetto was typically walled, with gates that were closed at a certain hour each night, and all Jews had to be inside the gate at that hour or suffer penalties. The reason generally given for compulsory ghettos was that the faith of Christians would be weakened by the presence of Jews; the idea of Jewish segregation dates from the Lateran Councils of 1179 and 1215. Within the ghetto the inhabitants usually had autonomy, with their own courts of law, their own culture, and their own charitable, recreational, educational, and religious institutions. Economic activities, however, were restricted, and beyond the ghetto walls Jews were required to wear badges of identification. One of the most infamous ghettos was that of Frankfurt, to which Jews were compelled to move by a city ordinance of 1460. Crowded into a narrow section, the ghetto underwent several disastrous fires. The ghetto in Venice was established in 1516 after long negotiations between the city and the Jews. In 1870 the last ghetto in Western Europe, in Rome, was abolished. In Russia the Jewish Pale continued to exist until 1917. After the 18th cent. ghettos were also to be found in some Muslim countries. During World War II the Nazis set up ghettos in many towns in E Europe from which Jews were transported to concentration camps for liquidation; the Warsaw (Poland) ghetto was a prime example. In the United States, African Americans, Chicanos, and immigrant groups have been forced to live in ghettos through economic and social forces rather than being required to do so by law.