Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ghetto

Since the previous thread was closed, but still VISIBLE...I feel strongly enough about this issue to post my rebuttal.

Defending your right to say ghetto is like defending the right to say "nigger" or "trailer trash." It's a derogatory term that hinges on race and social status, implying that people that were raised in a certain part of town end up a certain way.

Perhaps "Rude", "Crass", or even "Vulgar" might have been a better choice of words that didn't uncover a superiority attitude. C'mon..."ghetto"?

A ghetto is a place, not a person.

Edited by jlray

This is probably a valid point, but what does it have to do with post-op Q&A? This belongs somewhere else.

This is probably a valid point, but what does it have to do with post-op Q&A? This belongs somewhere else.

It was a reply to a post in a thread.. "5th day out and yes I ate chicken." The moderator closed it. Keep up!! :biggrin: Just kidding. I should've explained that.

Since the previous thread was closed, but still VISIBLE...I feel strongly enough about this issue to post my rebuttal.

Defending your right to say ghetto is like defending the right to say "nigger" or "trailer trash." It's a derogatory term that hinges on race and social status, implying that people that were raised in a certain part of town end up a certain way.

Perhaps "Rude", "Crass", or even "Vulgar" might have been a better choice of words that didn't uncover a superiority attitude. C'mon..."ghetto"?

some would even have their feeling hurt being called a fat ass.....not me, cause i know no matter how much i lose- i got a cabbose.

words are words in my opinion - for someone i don't know to use them on me has little to no value.

i'll catch up w/the thread when it's moved to the rants/rave section:)

Thank you for posting this..

I use curse words to get my point across while some people feel as though their rude behavior is "okay" because they do not use profane language. The attitudes of some of the people on here is very harsh. We all have questions and I believe that if you want to answer those questions it should be done without attacking people and their character. I shouldnt be judged in the way I defend myself and nor should anyone else. I did not start my post with calling people "fat asses" and that is not what anyone should remeber most about my thread. Everyone that saw a problem with my response to these people that think they know it all, I cant offer you anything and definetly not an apology. My responses were not meant for you or anyone else that read that post. They were response to those who felt the need to attack my character.

Huh?

You’re serious?

So, let me see if I get this straight: The moderator closes a thread (which is done here rarely) but YOU think that what YOU have to say about a particular word is important enough to, in essence, OVERRIDE what the Moderator has done? So you start a NEW thread in the WRONG place just so you can voice your own opinion about the use of a word?

Sorry, but THAT smacks of superiority in a much larger way than anything Beth had to say.

And besides; Beth was being very polite, comparatively. I’m not sure “ghetto” would have been my choice of words. I don’t think I would have been nearly as nice.

And for your information, a person can most certainly be “ghetto”…..if that’s who they CHOOSE to become. And that does indeed appear to be a choice the OP had made.

HH

Huh?

You’re serious?

So, let me see if I get this straight: The moderator closes a thread (which is done here rarely) but YOU think that what YOU have to say about a particular word is important enough to, in essence, OVERRIDE what the Moderator has done? So you start a NEW thread in the WRONG place just so you can voice your own opinion about the use of a word?

Sorry, but THAT smacks of superiority in a much larger way than anything Beth had to say.

And besides; Beth was being very polite, comparatively. I’m not sure “ghetto” would have been my choice of words. I don’t think I would have been nearly as nice.

And for your information, a person can most certainly be “ghetto”…..if that’s who they CHOOSE to become. And that does indeed appear to be a choice the OP had made.

HH

Yes, I felt that what I had to say was worth saying. And I posted it not because I felt I was superior, but because I'm standing AGAINST the racism and superiority that WORD implies, although it had the last word in that thread.

I doubt anyone would've called a White person Ghetto. It's a RACIST term. I wouldn't have had anything to say against a curse word, because it's a general derogate, not one aimed at social status and race.

To be clear, I wasn't defending pinkpassion, even though I neither believe that she was in the wrong. My thread is simply about the word "ghetto." I actually didn't even mention Beth, but you did.

Headhunter, I've seen your "hunting" ways, and I know you'll beat this horse way past its death. Know now that I won't continue to beat it with you.

can't we all get along :biggrin:

Yes, I felt that what I had to say was worth saying. And I posted it not because I felt I was superior, but because I'm standing AGAINST the racism and superiority that WORD implies, although it had the last word in that thread.

I doubt anyone would've called a White person Ghetto. It's a RACIST term. I wouldn't have had anything to say against a curse word, because it's a general derogate, not one aimed at social status and race.

To be clear, I wasn't defending pinkpassion, even though I neither believe that she was in the wrong. My thread is simply about the word "ghetto." I actually didn't even mention Beth, but you did.

Headhunter, I've seen your "hunting" ways, and I know you'll beat this horse way past its death. Know now that I won't continue to beat it with you.

You think its Racist?

What it “is” is a perfect example of someone taking a NON-RACIAL issue and turning it into an issue of RACISM…..which can only be done, actually, by a RACIST. (you, by the way.)

I’m not going to get into this any further. I have very strong feelings about this subject and about people like you, but I don’t often involve myself in Non-WLS issues here. And I’m not going to start now. But you have essentially called Beth a racist. And that is quite reprehensible.

As far as you observing my “hunting” ways, you may have observed, but you have clearly not UNDERSTOOD. On occasion it is necessary to beat things a bit to make people “get it”….. which you clearly do not. But beating something “beyond its death”? Hardly. I usually don’t say ENOUGH.

Ok. Done here.

HH

OK, the OP had her say and so did everyone else. Can we end this and get back to weight loss support?

Because I keep being brought into this by somebody who can't let it die and, yes, chose to override the mods (very bad indeed), I think it's only fair that I should be able to tell what was in my own mind when I said it rather than having somebody who doesn't know me do it.

I used the term because of her belligerent attitude, her persona, her "character," and the way she handles people. Immature doesn't quite cut it. It's that "ghetto" attitude, the whole package. I have no idea whatsoever where she was born, where she lives, her social status, or much of anything about her at all. Until I clicked on her profile, I couldn't even tell for sure she was black. However, I don't care -- I would have still used the term. People who act ghetto act in a particular way, just like certain dance moves define Hip Hop while others define the Tango.

Besides, since when do blacks have a corner market on living in the ghetto? It's more about a place, and when used as I did, a mentality and behavior, than it is about a certain skin color.

I for one am sick to death of EVERY FREAKIN' THING being turned into some form of racial division. However, I don't care enough about it to change my ways. I believe what I believe, and I will say what I choose to say. I do not EVER kowtow to the select few who constantly choose to make racial divisions at all times and wail about racism. I don't go around calling people "niggers," but I absolutely refuse to always guard every single word I say, worrying that I will offend somebody. Frankly, I don't care.

And if you get so worked up over a word that YOU chose to define the way you do, then life must be very hard for you.

Now, move along already and get over yourself. Life is too short to get your panties in a wad over such a word. :biggrin:

The behavior I have experienced on this website in the past week is truly sickening. I personally have been attacked and called names as if I were in a grade school playground. This site is about supporting one another and if the forum moderators are unable to control the behavior of grown adults on this site then those so called grown adults should be banned from this site. I don't care who you are if you can't behave and play nice you should not be allowed to play at all.

people on here bruise easier then a hot house Tomato.< /p>

grow a pair.

This is aimed at everyone.

OK, the OP had her say and so did everyone else. Can we end this and get back to weight loss support?

i dont' think the OP's thread was meant to be for support - which is why it belongs in R&R.

HEAD HUNTER - Beating things in does not make someone get it - it's not your job, it's not effective and it's just plain rude. You have not ascended to a higher plain than the rest of us.

If you have something to say - say it. If someone else does not agree - then let it be.