Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newly banded confused about eating

I was banded Wednesday morning and haven't really been hungry since then. I've been eating like my Nut told me to, but not nearly as much. Should I be eating when I'm not hungry, just to follow the nuts eating schedule? Since I'm not hungry I've been mixing my Protein in with pudding or skim milk as part of my meal instead of a snack...is this ok?

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Stacy

I was banded 8 days ago- the first 4 days I had a shake in am and broth at lunch and Jello for dinner....water was the most important (and hardest thing to get in).... are you allowed pudding yet? I wasn't allowed till yesterday (week 2)

good luck! I have lost one pound a day since surgery.

The most important things you need to have are Water and protein! Even if you're not hungry sip Water all day and you should have at least 60-80g of Protein a day. My nut and doc made this very clear! I would check on the pudding thing also. My diet for the first 10 days is water, Protein drinks, broth, milk, sugerfree Jello, and that's it!

Evie- I was banded on Wed as well and I gained 3lbs since then. I asked my doctor and he said that is all the swelling that my belly is doing. I can tell my belly is swolen still. I'm hoping to see the weight fall off soon!

Yes, I'm allowed pudding and blended Soups and yogart.

I have been drinking lots of Water which could be part of why I'm not hungry.

I haven't weighed yet I know my belly is swollen. I've got some wicked bruises!

No-Worries Nina, You seem to be doing just fine, although i would also cut out the pudding. I am haveing the same problem, Water and the Protein Shakes are the hardest to get down. My doctor told me that priority for the first day or two is water. to keep myself hydrated. My belly is still sore but they say we will get better after a couple of days.

Do you find yourself getting tired and taking naps often?

You need to make sure and follow what your doctor tells you to do.All doctors are diffrent. I also could not have pudding that soon. I only had liquids for 3weeks after surgery. On week 3 I started soft foods. Like eggs and cottage cheese. I wish you well. I went to the doctor yesterday and am down 43 pounds. Feeling great. It will get easier I promise..It was real hard for me at first too.

i'm 5 days out of surgery.... newly banded but HUNGRY! they say Clear Liquids for first week but ugh.. i'm starving!!! They mentioned Protein shakes but i hated the ones they told me to take! so...

I am having problems drinkign my Water because i have sour mouth.. they say its ketosis? I don't know but blah!

Per docs order... said i can start mushy food next week... soo i can't wait! i'm STARVING!

felkatz-I bought a bunch of different types of Protein Shakes at first so I could see what I like and don't like. I've been mixing them with Water becuase I'm lactose intolerent. I just made a nectar Brand, chocolate flavored one this morning with Lactaid. It's really good and I can see it's filling me up. I think the trick is the milk. I wasn't full when I was making them with water. I get hungry in the afternoon! That's when I go for jello! I can't wait till I can have soft food next week!!

I was banded almost 7 weeks ago, and am still not hungry, even though I had my first fill over 2 wks ago. I do sometimes experience head hunger, specially when I know that there's something in the fridge I really want to eat.

Immediately after surgery, and after my fill, I had absolutely no desire to eat anything,, and had to force myself to get in the proper amt of Protein and Water. I discovered Isopure Protein waters which is a lifesaver when I am not hungry or don't have the time to have all my protein (40g protein in 20oz bottle). I also find powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury chicken broth Protein powder, which I find very soothing.

It seems every surgeon/nutritionist's instructions are different. I was not supposed to have pudding until the mushy stage - 10 days after surgery. That actually got pushed up a few days when I went for my 1 wk post-op visit and everything was ok. I use Jello SF/FF instant pudding and add Protein Powder when I make it.

Many others on this site were allowed to have pudding after surgery. Follow your dr/nut's instructions. Try to get you required protein in, but a few days of not meeting the quota won't hurt. The hunger will come back soon enough...

Joan

felk- of course you are hungry- there is not any Protein in Jello and broth- YOU NEED TO DRINK Protein shakes.... that is where the answer is.... when u switch to mushies choose the ones with Protein (eggs, cheese) not carbs (mashed potatoes)

I am 21 days out (including Pre-Op) and am down 20lbs and i am sure it is because I am doing the protein first! Plus I started walking at the gym 30 mins a day on Sunday.... I want all the Freedom Fighters to put up a good fight against this FAT we have and dedicate yourself to this plan.... follow what your NUT and DR told you to do and WALK, WALK, WALK!!!!!

When you are hungry remind yourself why you did this and get a goal in your head.... it's not easy, if it was everyone would have a band....if you need encouragement stop in the chat room and you will find some there!!!

Love and Hugs to all of you!!!

Hi, I am almost 5 weeks post op and on the soft solid food stage (tuna, egg salad, fish, etc) and doing ok. I find when I am starting to feel hungry, even if it's head hunger or real tummy grumblings a cup of something warm, broth or caff. free herbal tea takes the feeling away long enough for me to distract myself.

I try to have my meals about the same time every day, usually within a 1/2 hr. either way and that keeps me from getting overly hungry. Saturday I had my 1/2 cup of food for lunch and then didn't eat again until 9:30 pm, by then I was so hungry I almost ruined everything by wanting to over eat. I was able to get hold of myself before I did any damage.

Good luck and before you know it you'll be eating solids again!

Today is day 5 for me. (Surgery was this past Friday). I just started Protein Drinks yesterday. I can't stand the Isopure. Today I had nectar in Fuzzy Navel flavor mixed with Water served over ice and it's not too shabby. Best Protein Drink I've had yet!! :smile2: I am not supposed to start soft foods til Saturday but I admit I am hungry now. I have a call in to my NUT to see what she says. I am not exactly clear on what "full fluids" means and I want to be sure my understanding of it is clear!!

I wasn't hungry at first either, but I sipped Water all day long and I mixed up a Protein Shake that equalled 90 grams of Protein (that's what my surgeon requires) and drank on that throughout the day (though I didin't usually get all 90 grams down). I was able to eat pudding right after surgery also, they told me to add milk to it to "water" it down.

Getting your protein is important as it helps with healing. Good luck, I know it is hard but it's important.