Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Anyone out there near Elgin?

I'm learning a lot reading blogs on this great site but am wondering if anyone else is near Elgin?:D

I'm not right near elgin but not that far. I'm right by Ohare, I do visit Elgin often though cause I have a friend that lives out there. I see that you're new to the site, are you thinking about Lap Band???

I'm closer to O'Hare than I am to Elgin. I had my surgery done at Loyola Medical Center in Maywood. How about you guys? Where were you banded or if not already banded, thinking about being banded at?

I had mine done at the Kane Center. (Alexian Brothers Hospital). Dr Kane, is awesome fantastic doctor, I was banded 5-8-2009.

I, too, am using the Kane Center though I have a different doctor. I am still in the preliminary stages...getting everything done for my insurance approval. I 'm guessing my surgery will be sometime in September. I am so curious...can you give me a run down on what you had to do the weeks before surgery and how it went and afterwards...how are you doing now? What are you eating? I am worried aobvut managing at work right after surgery...any pointers?

There's a lot of preliminary appointments you will have to have before they even think about setting a date for the operation. I also had to do a 3 month program with a dietician. My insurance wanted that done before deciding to pay for the surgery, but every insurance policy is different. Finally after seeing all the different doctors and taking all the tests the insurance finally contaced the Kane center to approve the surgery. I finally received a surgery date which was 5-8-2009. I was very nervous as anyone would be but I knew it was time to make a change and get healthy. My surgery went awesome, I had very little pain. The only thing I really felt was soreness and not really pain. It felt like I had just done 1000 situps. Fortunately, (knock on wood) I have had no complications and everything is been going well. Then again I really followed my doctors instructions and did not steer away from any of the rules. I was too scared to mess something up. I was 1 week on Clear Liquids, 1 week on full liquids and then 1 week on mushies before I went to solid food. And I stayed on that track the whole time. Once on solids I just make sure I get all my Protein in and if I'm still hungry I just eat a bunch of vegetables. I got my first fill on 6-10-09 and and that point I had already lost 31 lbs. I was scheduled for my second fill on 8-29-09 and when the doctor saw that I lost another 30 lbs (61 total since surgery), he decided not to do a fill. I was a little confused, cause I really dont have full restriction. I mean I have some restriction cause I cant eat as much as i did before but I know I'm eating more that a cup to a cup and a half of food at lunch and dinner. I'm just making smart choices and filling up on veggies after eating my protein. I feel really good but still have a long way to go. I haven't had any problems with my food I just make sure to take my time and chew, chew, chew. As far as work goes after surgery, I had the luxury of being able to take 3 weeks off of work. Which I think was very helpful. It just made it easier to manage my meals being at home and relaxing. So I'm not sure how it will be to go to work right after. Hope this helps, looking forward to hearing how everything is going for you.

Thank you so much and I'm soooo glad it went smoothly for you. Did you ever throw up? I so, don't want to do that. I work at a high school and will not be able to take off too much time so am trying to figure out what I will need to take along with me. Do they have you drink Protein shakes? What do they do about your medication? I have had all the required tests (stress, pulmonary,psychological and the class required. How long did it take your insurance to approve it.

I had lost 36 pounds, but seem to be struggling lately and have gained a few back...ugh, here we go! Did the fill hurt?

CONGRATULATIONS on doing so well. One of the hardest things for me to learn is to not drink Water while I'm eating. It is so hard for me....what types of food are you eating?

I have not thrown up and hope I don't cause I hear it doesn't feel really good. I know I said this already but start practicing now to chew, chew chew chew your food. I dont't know how your doctor is gonna handle your case but I'm assuming it will be similar because he is also from the Kane center. My first week I was on clear liquids (apple juice, broth's, sugar free popsicles and water) that was about it. The second week I had cream Soups, Protein shakes, v8 juice and v8 splash. I did add Protein powder to my juices and shakes. I used whey Protein, if you go the the kane center website and go to their estore you can find it on there whey PROTEIN, its flavorless so it only changes the texture of things not the taste. I did love the Protein Shakes, I just bought Ensure (high protein). The chocolate ones actually taste really good. I wasn't taking any medication so I would ask your doctor about that.

Once I finished my 3 month dietician thingy it was about a week or so before they approved it. Good job on the 36 lbs its a good start and I'm sure your doctor will be happy.

My fill did not hurt. The initial needle which is the numing shot pinched and I really didn't feel anything else. I was really lucky also cause he found the port pretty easily and did not need to do it under xray or anything.

Thank you so much, its a long journey so all I can do is take it one day at a time. As far as drinking with your meal it was tough for me also, but I started doing it months before my surgery. If you can start doing it now and just don't put any drinks on the table during lunch or dinner, so that you're not tempted. I have occasionally has something to drink while eating and it really hasn't hurt me, I just don't want to do it cause it makes the food go through quicker leaving you hungry sooner. I actually have been eating a little of everything. Mainly chicken, fish and veggies, but I have had red meats and some breads and have actually enjoyed pizza a few times. I just eat a couple slices instead of a half of pizza now thats all. It satisfies the craving for it so that I don't fall off the wagon.

Originally my doctor suggested the bypass surgery because of my size. I'm pretty big but have been lucky enough to still be able to move around and fortunate enough to not have any health problems. When my doctor first met me he thought for sure I was on 6 or 7 medications and when I told him I wasn't he almost fell off his chair. He said that I was really lucky I didn't have full blown diabetes for my size. So that was more of a motivator to really get this done. Because I was so healthy other than the weight was when he said that he felt good about doing the lapband and not the bypass. And I'm happy I made this decision so far. I have a long ways to go but the more weight falls off the more pumped I get about moving forward. How did you come to this decision?

My doctor suggested it. I had it in my mind because there is a young girl at my church who did it and lost over a hundred pounds. I just decided that every "ailment" I had was connected to my being overweight. I was still active, but on the border of becoming diabetic. I decided that I wanted my life back. I am 53 and knowing that nothing would get better or easier as I aged, it is up ot me to make the change. I only wish I had thought if this earlier...I don't want to worry about fitting in a seat at the movies or airplanes, etc. I want to feel good and be more active and a good example to my children who also are somewhat overweight.

I hope mine goes as well as yours did. Did they have you see a nutritionist and psychologist? I have been working on the chewing and portion size. I do okay when I'm home with not drinking, but struggle when I'm at a restaurant. It's more social I guess.

I didn't know about the e-store. I have some whey Protein powder that I got from Walmart...do they give you some guidelines about this stuff. Do they have you take Vitamins? Have you experienced hair loss that they talk about?

You have done so well...you are my official "idol"...I want to do it just like you did!!

I did see a nutritionist and I only saw the psychologist once for the initial test and screening and that was all. Thats actually the only other time I drink when I eat also. Its a little weird when they ask you what you'd like to drink and you're like oh nothing. I just cant get myself to do that so then I have the Water in front of me and I drink it. It was funny the last time I went out to eat with a buddy, he made it a point to tell the waitress as a joke to purposely not ask me what I wanted to drink. So she asked him and then just walked away, I was like whoa what's going on? Then I realized what happened so when she came back to ask me I was like nope forget it. LOL. Its just a habit you know.

No guidelines on the Protein really. As long as you are getting all your Protein in you don't need the powder. I used it for the first 4 weeks then once I got to solids I havent used it at all cause I am able to get it in by eating normal food. I do take Vitamins, 2 Multivitamins and 1 Calcium per day. I have not experienced hair lose, I know its too early to tell but hopefully it doesn't happen to me.

That's funny I'm definately not an Idol, LOL. So where are you at in the process right now?

I will finish my 3 months in the next two weeks...I forget which day and then they will submit everything to my insurance company. I guess, then we wait. I am a little anxious about having to do this liquid stuff at school but I guess I'll just have to be organized. There is a refrigerator in our office. I am a counselor so my time is my Fluid than a teacher so I think it will ber fine. Do you have to eat (drink) at certain times? or so far apart?

Have you gone to any of those classes or support groups since your surgery. They keep saying how important they are but Alexian is kind of a hike from Elgin. I wish they had some of them at their office by the Sears Centre.

How do other people react to your changes?

As long as you stay organized you'll be ok. Even now for me I have to have everything set and I try to do everything at the same time when I'm at work. It helps a lot.

I have not gone to any yet. I always say I'm going to just to get in touch with some people and communicate about everything. But I hate that there mainly only on saturday. I wish they had more during the week. They really pushed those seminars to me too but not as much anymore.

Well I told my close friends at work about what was going on. But because I had my leave for 3 weeks everyone was like where is he, whats going on? So my friend at work called me after the first week and was like everyone keeps asking me questions and I'm trying to avoid them. So I was like you know what they're gonna find out eventually, and I felt bad that he kept getting bothered. So I was like, if they get annoying just let them know I had a procedure. But everyone keeps asking me how I'm doing and a lot of people at work are noticing my weight loss. It took my family a little while to adjust cause of the no drinking when I eat, or certain things I shouldn't have and so on. But everyone has been so supportive and is loving the fact that I'm doing so well.

So you live near the Sears Centre? I have a good friend of mine that lives off beverly and toastmaster. So I'm out there pretty often.

No, I live on the west side of Elgin near the high school but there is an office by the Sear's Centre which is way easier to get to then Alexian...The week you had liquids, were you real hungry ro was your body just in shock from the surgery. I was so happy to hear that there wasn't much pain. I know another lady in my neighborhood who is a little older than I am who is having it or may have had it in July...I need to call her and get her into our "group" It eases my mind so much to hear that it was good for you.

I am in Elgin and using the Kane Center. Dr. Rantis is my Surgeon. I was banded on July 31. Everything went smoothly for me also. No vomiting and very little pain/discomfort. I work at a school too, and thought I would go back to work after the week-end, but ended taking off the entire week. Glad I did and am ready to back on Monday.

After I finished my 6 months of MD appt.'s I had to go through a series of tests. Psychological, Pulmonary, and sleep Study along with another seminar. Once those were completed, I called and set up my date. To give you a better idea of my timeline, I began with my first seminar in October 2008 and was banded July 31, 2009. Listen carefully to the doctors and follow the protocol to the letter. I met several people who thought they should "call the shots" and they ended up being postponed over and over. One lady in particular was very frustrated and blamed everyone but herself. Also was quite a Debbie Downer to talk with at the seminar. Protein shakes were the diet of choice for two weeks prior to surgery. I won't lie...that was really tough for me. And mine ws extended an extra week due to a medical complication unrelated to this surgery. My surgery took place at Alexian Brothers. Surgery can be Day Surgery-Out Patient if you're scheduled early enough in the morning. That is what I was originally hoping for. I ended up staying overnight and glad I did. The staff there was marvelous and the extra time at the hospital gave me the opportunity to get up and walk frequently. I believe that early walking on the floor made the transition to home a smooth one. I was sent home on modified liquids and with a prescription for Tylenol with Codine. All medications for the next month must be taken in liquid form or crushed. Talk to your primary physican to arrange this. I did need to change a couple of meds to accomodate this. You will also need a liquid "complete" Vitamin. I bought mine at Walgreens. I also bought a bottle of liquid Tylenol. I found it did the trick and I didn't need the codine. When you have your Pulmonology appt. they will give you a prescription for Lovenox. This is a blood thinner that is given by injection. You will need to get this filled before you go to the hospital. I was taught how to give the injection at their office...but the best education was given to me by the nurse at the hospital. She had me do this last Saturday before I left. It doesn't hurt, but there is someting about jabbing a needle into your abdomen that just doesn't sit right...so the practice at the hospital was a plus. Ask them to do this for you! Mushie foods start today! WooHoo! I could go on about this very positive experience. If you would like to get together and talk, I would be happy to meet you. Perhaps at a local restaurant for a bowl of soup!!! Otherwise...keep posting questions and I will be happy to answer whenever I can! Good Luck...I believe this is the best gift anyone can give themself! Linda

T

hank you so much, Linda! Where in Elgin are you? I would love to meet! What school do you work at? I am off until the 24th so could work around your schedule or meet you on the weekend. I work at Larkin and live over behind the Jewel near it.

I am so glad to hear that it all went well for you too. My last doctor appt is the 21st though I may call to see if there is anything earlier available. I see the nutritionist and psychologist for the last time next week, I think. I've had my pulmonary and stress test and don't need the sleep test coz I already have a CPAP machine. I will probably have a test down the road to see if I can NOT need my machine. So, besides a date I've gotten everything done!

I am a little worried about managing the food/drinking at school but will just have to be organzed. Originally, I wanted to get it done in the summer but it didn't work out. I think it will be fine a I'll be busy at school and less focused on my situation...just want to do it ll right. I'm sooo glad to hear you haven't thrown up!!

Right now I am in MN helping my daughter get settled into her sorority house but will be home Monday night. Talk to you later!!