Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded today and I have GAS PAINS! HELP!

My mommy told me... HAHAHA! No seriously, my mom suggested to never lye down flat. She gave me some pillows in addition to the ones I already had. I used several to prop myself up so that I could sleep. I even used one under my legs but that was mostly just for extra comfort. And of course walking! I was banded 7/17 and I can’t tell you how much pain the gas/air caused me. It was bad. Try lots of pillows and keep up the walking and it should pass!

Mom's give the best advice.:thumbup:

Thanks for all the advice. I was able to sleep OK last night once I took the liquid vicodin. I woke up around 3:30 and had to walk around and take more. The pain isn't as bad today as it was yesterday when I was banded. I've found that liquid vicodin or liquid tylonal work best. I tried the gas x strips and they don't seem to work. I hear my stomach constantly groning and I keep burping. I'm thinking that's a good thing since I'm getting some of the gas out. Thanks again!

I have not been banded yet but I had gallbladder surgery a couple of months ago and had terrible gas pains for a week. It is also a laproscopic surgery and they blow you up with gas. I know this is going to sound wierd but the only relief I could find was to sit at my computer desk with my arms on desk and to lean forward. I don't know why this worked but when the gas pain would get unbearable if I would sit like this it would go away. I even slept like this sometimes. I sat like this so much my back went out but it was still better than the gas pains. This may not be the best answer but it worked for me.

leseid,

Do you realize that Motrin is and Ibuprofen product and is a NO NO for lap band patients as well as aspirin?

Doc said I could not use it prior to surgery, but said that I could use after...and even combine with the narcotic he gave me.

For me, it works best for the gas.

i had my surgery june 25 and i had the same problem...wicked gas pains in my back for over a week....i finally got the gas x and took it one night and took the pain medication and went to bed...the next morning i woke up and it was gone! i haven't had it since...you do have to move around, that was my problem, i was in so much pain i was just laying in bed and i wasn't moving around enough. it does go away eventually and it does get better!!!!

I used ACE microwaveable warm compresses to help with my gas pains. They were the best!!!

Well, it's been four days since surgery and the pains have become way less painful!! i've been walking a lot and taking gas x strips and it seems to be working. I'm sooo excited! Thanks again for all your advice. It's nice to have somewhere to go where everyone else has/is experiencing the same thing I am!!

Please check with your surgeon before taking anything but Tylenol for the pain. I'm pretty sure Aleve contains aspirin. Prior to surgery I was on one 81 mg aspirin daily to thin my blood and my surgeon wont let me resume taking it until six months after my surgery.

My surgeon advised me to take aleive along with my narcotic and it helped tremindousely! I was able to quit taking the loritab on tues night (my surg was the day before) and i could move around alot easier. Of course the more i moved the better i felt.

ok....here is the trick to this....seriously this sounds crazy but this worked SOOOOOOOOO well for me ... I had HORRIBLE debilitating gas in my neck and shoulders......try this you will be AMAZED

get down on the floor on your hands and knees.....cross your arms and lay your foorhead on your arms....keep your head and chest low and stick your rump up in the air...and just rock and move your hips, neck and whatever else around in that position for awhile....this lets the gas work its way down/ up into your hips and abdomen instead of being stuck all in your shoulders......walking does not move it like this does TRUST ME....try it you will be amazed.... I did this and used gas strips and it worked like a charm!!!!!:thumbup:

Thanks everyone! I had surgery 6 days ago and the pain has for the most part gone away. Sometimes I get shooting pains in my chest and I'm not sure what that is from, I'm thinking it's left over gas? I fell 100% better! And I got a new weightloss ticker now too!!