Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

very frustrated formed a pouch again

Hi - I have had lap band surgery twice. 2005 and a revision and hieatal hernia repair in 2008. I always seem to form a pouch so I can eat as much as I want without any restriction. Then I go get an adjustment and the pouch dissolves, does anyone else have this problem. I use to be able to eat and then stop when I felt restriction, not any longer

With the lap band we all have a pouch. That is what we call the small stomach created with the band. Do you mean you are stretching your pouch?

Losing restriction during weightloss is normal. Most of us lose restriction and require several adjustments until we reach goal and perhaps more later to maintain. I needed a total of six to get where I am now, I had one slight unfill for surgery recently and afterward had half of what was removed put back. I am trying to decide if I should get another fill soon.

But if you meant you are stretching your pouch, that means you are consistently keeping your pouch too full and the tissue is permanently stretching. That is not reversable.

so i am eating too much. But I use to get signs of tightnest when I ate too much, now I don't I just keep stretching, why does that happen? When I get an adjustment and loosen the band the stretching usually goes back to normal. I don't what to do anymore

I may be wrong but my understanding is stretching does not go away.

When was your last surgery?How many adjustments have you had since surgery? What has your weightloss been like?

Losing restriction and needing adjustments as you lose weight is normal. It could be that you are simply losing fat around your stomach and that is causing the band to get looser, perfectly normal. Also check to make sure your band is not leaking.

Edited by Jodi_620

I had my last surgery in Oct. 2008. I lost 12 lbs and have had 3 adjustments. First two were tightened and third one was loosened. I guess I should go back to my original doctor who did the band and find out.

thanks for your help.

It could be a dilated pouch which is what my surgeon is pretty sure I have right now. She said it's caused from either overeating or being too tight which was my case. She also said you can eat more than what you should with a dilated pouch. She totally unfilled me and put me on liquids for 2 weeks and said that should fix the problem if that's what's going on.

It could be a dilated pouch which is what my surgeon is pretty sure I have right now. She said it's caused from either overeating or being too tight which was my case. She also said you can eat more than what you should with a dilated pouch. She totally unfilled me and put me on liquids for 2 weeks and said that should fix the problem if that's what's going on.

Can you or anyone explain more about what a "dilated pouch" is??? Thanks much!

What my surgeon told me is that because I was filled too tight the portion of the stomach above the band stretched out when I was eating. I was fine for the first few weeks after the fill but then I developed really bad acid reflux and started getting stuck and PBing at almost every meal. She said those are all symptoms of being too tight and/or a dilated pouch.

What my surgeon told me is that because I was filled too tight the portion of the stomach above the band stretched out when I was eating. I was fine for the first few weeks after the fill but then I developed really bad acid reflux and started getting stuck and PBing at almost every meal. She said those are all symptoms of being too tight and/or a dilated pouch.

Thanks for posting this Angel I often wondered about this.

hi, I have had a band for a year now lots of problems with food sitting in my throat and a dry cough. My Dr says my pouch has not formed and I need an overfill to form a small pouch has anyone heard of this i thought the pouch is formed during surgery. Very confused Kyro:crying:

I am wondering if my pouch got stretched from eating too much- my flouro didn't show any signs of dilation though. But nothing satisfies me like it used to and I am being denied a fill because flouro shows restriction. Back in the good ole days a few bites did the job.

I don't drink 30 min before or after

I eat Protein first