Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery cancelled today :(

I was originally supposed to have my band surgery on July 10th, but that was cancelled the day before because the hospital didn't have a Care Credit account. And not to mention that they lost my paperwork when I went for my pre op labs, my EKG was done incorrect and showed I had a heart attack (which I didn’t) , and I got a speeding ticket on my way home. See a theme?

I went ahead and rescheduled it for today the 20th. I checked into the hospital and got prepped for surgery. I had my IV bag and antibiotics, my shot of Lovanox, my legs were wrapped in ace bandages and I was ready to go!! Then the anesthesiologist comes in and says that the air conditioners and dehumidifiers broke in the OR over the weekend and all surgeries were cancelled today. WHAT?? I was shocked and sent home. My surgeon did call and profusely apologize, he’s well aware of all the problems that have been happening with me.

I'm wondering if this is a sign that someone is trying to send me about not getting the surgery. Should I go through with the surgery? My surgeon wants to do it this Wednesday.

I'm 33 years old, 5'8”, 210lbs. I'm so confused and scared. I don't know what to do!! Any advice would be appreciated! Is three a charm?

Geez, kinda makes you wonder doesn't it!:smile: I have to say I'm kinda surprised at your stats. 5/8 / 210. I'm 5/9 and 282 and having the surgery next week. I'd be very happy to be 210! Good luck!

I'm really going to think about it tonight. I've already put out a lot of cash for the procedure. I wish there was some magic answer for me. I'm very sick of being overweight and unhealthy. I have a long family history of heart problems and diabetes. I've been so ready for this for so long and to quit now would be so disappointing. :smile:

If you are a quitter this would be reason to quit. If you have been a quitter and want to stop giving up on your goals, this would be the time to push on.

That's a little harsh, I realize, but shit does happen and sometimes it happens to nice people. Is this a test of your fortitude in regard to banded life? Maybe. What's your answer? You in?

I say stay and get it done.

Ah, see you filled in more of the story. (the health history). From all I've read less weight will help you overcome those.

Thanks for the advice Juli! I'm not a quitter and odds are I'm going to go through with the sugery. Hopefully three is a charm!! I guess I'll just call today "dress rehersal!"

That is awful!!!! I know you are upset now, give it until tomorrow afternoon when you can think more on it with a clearer mind and you will be able to come up with a decision that works for you. Good Luck!

I understand your reticence. Do you like the surgeon? Do you trust him? Has anything else given you pause? If not, then go on...maybe in the "vast scheme" Weds is the right day for you, and not the other two dates. However, if you've been unsure about the performance of your surgeon or the hospital etc, then pause and rethink it. Not going through with a surgery that doesn't seem right doesn't make you a quitter, in my book.

I know he's a very skilled surgeon and I've never doubted him or his team. It's seems the hospital is unorganized. I'm going to write a letter to their CEO about my experience with them. Although, ultimately I'm putting my life in their hands.

I like the idea of "Wednesday is my day!" The other days just weren't meant to be!! Thanks Monkey!!

I don't think this has anything to do with being a "quitter" It has to do with me going with my inner feelings.

I don't think this has anything to do with being a "quitter" It has to do with me going with my inner feelings.

Agreed! Good luck; let us know how it all turns out for you! :smile: