Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm newly banded so don't have much experience but can tell you that with only 75 pounds to lose it is hard to imagine a dr. advising you to do bypass. I have had a wonderful experience with the band so far (realize-C). No pain except port site which is temporary. Lost 20+ pre surgery and five more post op. I have not been hungry at all, and am already exercising. My personal goal would be to lose 1-2 pounds per week (hey, there are 52 weeks a year...that's a lot). My friends who have had lap band lost weight more slowly but have not had excess or saggy skin, Hair loss, or malnutrition issues. My friends who have had bypass seem to struggle more with health issues. Part of me felt like since I lost 20 pounds pre op I should have just kept with that and not had surgery at all, but I have never felt better. I prayed about my decision and now I will just do my best to make it work for me. Good luck to you. I hope you have success with whatever choice you make.

Wow Bearbandit! You are doing fabulous!

I am not even 6 months out and i'm at 61 lbs. it all depends on the person. Seeing how you only have 75 lbs to lose the LB is a much better procedure for you than GB. I would not feel comfortable with my insides being cut and rerouted.

Good luck.

I also had 75 lbs to lose when I was banded last October. So far, I'm 52 pounds down, and I'm only nine months out (almost to the day).

Exercise is NOT a problem -- I do a very boot camp program that involves running, weights, pushups and situps, and have not had a problem at all. Also, my doctor told me it was fine for me to do this. (Check out my blog if you want more info.)

I love my band. I love it that it was a less invasive surgery than the bypass and that it could be reversed if I hated it (which I don't). It helps me to manage my hunger and stops me from overeating. I also love it that most people who are banded do not regain their weight later on. For me, this was a great decision and I am very happy with my choice.

Also, since you only have 75 lbs to lose, bypass seems pretty drastic to me. Definitely ask your doctor about that.

Best wishes for you to make the decision that is best for you,

Catherine

Seeing how you only have 75 lbs to lose the LB is a much better procedure for you than GB. I would not feel comfortable with my insides being cut and rerouted.

Good luck.

That is not neccessarily the case. The AMOUNT of weight is not the indicator of which surgery that the patient should undergo.

I will say that it would be a little unusual that a Bypass would be prescribed for someone with under 100 pounds to lose. But, not totally out of the question.

As I have been saying all along, what the patient NEEDS is what determines the surgery. If the Doctor in the OPs case has prescribed GB for her, there might be a very good reason for it. It is entirely possible that the Surgeon has correctly identified her as a person who needs the malabsorbtion component that the GB offers, as opposed to the restriction component that is the heart of the LB functionality. They are two entirely different concepts. Also, considering that the OPs family members have gone through GB with success, well, that could also indicate some genetic disposition to the dysfunction that makes the GB a more viable option for THAT person's family.

So, there are some very good reasons why her Dr might be prescribing a GB as opposed to the Band. It's something that NONE of us here actually know.

But, the statement that the LB is a better choice than the GB simply because of the weight of the Patient is just plain wrong.

HH

I don't see where the OP ever mentioned having family members go through GP. I think you are thinking of a different thread that I recall reading earlier from a different person.

I don't see where the OP ever mentioned having family members go through GP. I think you are thinking of a different thread that I recall reading earlier from a different person.

My God. You are actually CORRECT about ONE THING.

I was indeed thinking of another post.

Congratulations. You have now OFFICIALLY been correct ONE TIME.

HH

Wow! Why are you so darn mean?????

And now you've gone ahead and Cancelled out your ONE TIME being correct by being wrong yet again.

I'm actually not "mean", as you put it. I dispense a bit of reality into dialogues where BS has taken over.

If you percieve that as being "mean", so be it.

HH

It's a shame you don't realize that everybody here is trying to help one another to the best of their ability. By you being so judgemental and yes, mean, people may be reluctant to help. We are all human and deserve to be treated as such and not called names and belittled by somebody who doesn't agree with our viewpoints. I think it pretty much goes without saying that most posts in this forum are based on personal experiences and before relying on the personal experiences of others, you should consult your own doctor.

I will no longer respond to what can be construed as personal harrassment on your part.

I'm curious....I thought banding was supposed to help acid reflux. When did you develop that? I haven't taken my nexium for 4 nights and haven't missed it. However, only on liquids still. Wondering if it will return with food.< /p>

I'm curious....I thought banding was supposed to help acid reflux. When did you develop that? I haven't taken my nexium for 4 nights and haven't missed it. However, only on liquids still. Wondering if it will return with food.

I think that those whose reflux was improved with the lapband are in the minority. Somewhere on here is a poll that showed that about 80% of those banded developed reflux after the banding at some point.

I have been reading posts and continue to see headhunter berate and insult other posters despite warnings.

Is there anything you can do to keep this kind of negativity and insults off this thread? Obviously the posts from moderators meant to supress this negativity are not being heard.

The direct, and I mean very direct and very hurtful posts should not be allowed on this forum or this thread IMO.

I'm curious....I thought banding was supposed to help acid reflux. When did you develop that? I haven't taken my nexium for 4 nights and haven't missed it. However, only on liquids still. Wondering if it will return with food.

The band can cause acid reflux and esophageal erosion and I have never heard of it preventing it. I am one of the people who got the band and suffered from horrible reflux to the point of only being able to sleep in a chair. I also had an intolerance to a lot of foods.

I agree that it's important for people to research all forms of weight loss. For restriction, there's the band and the sleeve. For those who need restriction and malabsorption, there's RNY and DS. I revised to VSG three and half months ago, have lost over 40 pounds, and knew right away THAT was the surgery I should have had originally.

I would have loved for the band to work for me but it turned out to be toxic and severely restricted my life for the worse. I have 2 friends who did great with the band and continue to do so. It's about finding the right "fit" for the right person.