Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

5 days post op and depressed...

:sad:Hi all,

I got banded July 15 and am on liquids...but I am seriously missing being able to eat. If I have to have any more broth..I think I will die! or one more Protein Shake and it will put me over the edge. PLease help...what can I have?? It's so hard when DH and kids are eating regular stuff and I can't. I almost question my decision to have the lapband just because of I can't eat anything right now....guess I am just in my post-op blues :smile:

Did any of you start mushies after the first week?

I just need some encouragement...and something beside Protein shakes and soup!! Feel like I am not getting enough nutrition at all.

Thanks for listening

I had the same problem in the beginning because I couldn't find a shake that I liked and I despise most Soups and liquid things but you really have to stick to it so your stomach can heal. Have you tried doctoring up your shakes or are you just drinking them straight? I'm on liquids for 2 weeks right now because I'm having problems and I'm using vanilla creme muscle milk light powder and putting in splenda, milk, sugar free caramel Syrup sometimes, frozen strawberries other times, etc. They're a whole lot better when you make them like a smoothie with several different flavors. I might get blasted for this one but when things got really really bad I got a small ice cream cup from mcdonalds and it helped for awhile. I assure you it gets better! Just hang in there!

I bought EAS brand whey Protein chocolate drink mix from Target. To jazz it up a bit...add a tablespoonful of Peanut Butter. Yum. I also added some banana to vanilla flavor. Just maybe a half and make sure your shake is watery and not too thick since you are early in the healing process. Maybe some creamed Soups you could have? Buy the good brands though...it's worth the extra flavor!

It's soo much tougher to do when people around you are eating regular stuff. I can only imagine trying to do it with kids as well!

I went on strike as far as cooking for the last month, I cooked only what I could eat (wasn't much). DH either cooked stuff I didn't like (but the smells would make me want it sometimes) or eat out. Check online for some broth recipes. I decided I'd had enough plain chicken broth early on and made hot and sour Soup broth. I lived on that stuff for two weeks preop and postop in addition to my muscle milke shakes, Diet V8 Splash, Diet Decaf Tea (Turkey Hill is good), Diet Snapple, boxed Soups by Imagine (found 'em cheaper at Whole Foods).

I don't know how long you've been on liquids, since surgeons directions vary wildly, but I think being on a 14 day preop liquid diet prepared me for the 14 days post op liquids. I went through my "crazy woman" stage at days 4 and 5 preop and cheated when the stakes weren't as high.

I've been on liquids for a month, but that ended tonight though wasn't supposed to until tomorrow). :smile: I'm about to post to my blog about how stoned I am on purees right now. LOL

Hang in there! Preop liquids was hell for me, post op wasn't so bad until the last few days. Keep your eyes on the prize that is only days ahead of you! Purees baby!! LOL Even though I was nervous to begin purees, I'm all for it now! LOL

I had it the 16th of July. I believe me i am a little depressed. i was even dreaming about eating McDonald's. This past weekend i had a wedding, a picnic, and my date night with my girlfriend. Boy all the excuses i had to use to say why i wasn't eating. food allergies what the best excuse. Just hang in there i know we can do it. if we had the will to have this surgery we can stick to it.

I've decided that perhaps I'm bulimic and just keep forgetting to purge.

I will likely get blasted from others for suggesting this, but it worked for me and my nutritionist said it was fine (asked her before I did it).

I too was literally going to kill somebody if I didn't get food after week 1. I took a TINY bit of canned corned beef hash (I mean literally like a tablespoon or 2) and a soft cooked egg. Mixed them together and chewed really well. It gave me the satisifaction of having "real" food, it was loaded with Protein (albeit fat too) and, most importantly changed my attitude 360 and kept me on track.

I am certainly not suggesting this as a new part of your regimine, but something occasionally to make you feel human again and give you a much needed spark. It worked wonders for me!!

Like others have said, every doctor has a different post-op diet....mine allowed pureed foods (nothing thicker than applesauce) since Day 2. I'm now 8 days post-op and can satisfy my urge for "real" food with a little bit of mashed potatoes, or one soft scrambled egg, or some cinnamon applesauce. However, I've found that one larger "meal" like this per day is all I can tolerate because I feel stuffed. Today, I had a small baked potato for lunch - mashed up the insides with a little margarine - maybe 1/2 cup of potato all together. That will probably be my only meal of the day - I won't mind the Protein Shakes the rest of the day!

Hey I was banded on the 16th! Congrats! I completely understand where you are coming from...I am so tired of chicken broth. Today, I found some delicious Soups at the grocery store and I can know feel better about this process. Get ready because next week we will be on mushies...

audjbr,

I can remember feeling the same exact way. I believe you are still going through sugar withdrawals which will make you have food cravings. I can remember my family eating dinner and me just drooling over the food. Finally I took a couple of bites and just chewed and spit the food out. This feeling does get better once you can begin on mushy foods. Just hang in there a little longer and you will have such great success to keep you motivated.

Hey there! I was banded on July 14th. Had a few complication so was in the hospital for a few days! The thought of broth just made me gag for I was living off sugar free popsicles. My dietician said in days 7 and 8 I could start with mashed potatos and mac and cheese as long as in was finely chopped up. Well I have an appointment with my doctor at 10am in the morning because I feel like i have something stuck in my throat. Should have waited to start those foods.:thumbup:

Hey there! I was banded on July 14th. Had a few complication so was in the hospital for a few days! The thought of broth just made me gag for I was living off sugar free popsicles. My dietician said in days 7 and 8 I could start with mashed potatos and mac and cheese as long as in was finely chopped up. Well I have an appointment with my doctor at 10am in the morning because I feel like i have something stuck in my throat. Should have waited to start those foods.:thumbup:

That's awful! That is the feeling I get when I am stuck. I'm surprised you have that feeling before being filled and I'm also surprised your dietician would give you that advise. I'm glad you are seeing your surgeon. Hope you feel better.

So I posted on this the other day and i've now been to the doctor. He said that the easy mac I ate was stuck and that it would digest in 24 to 48 hours. He said that I was real swollen and irratated and in my esophagus area. He also told me to never eat Pasta fixed in the microwave. That was a big no no. So i'm feeling better today and will be back to normal in a couple of days.:thumbup:

I was banded on the15th as well and hear what you are saying. After day 4, I was allowed to go to cream Soups as long as they are strained. Been lunching on cream of chicken and it is much better than the broth.

I'm seeing the doc tomorrow so hoping I can get to some better foods. It's so tough cause my wife doesn't cook so I'm cooking my wife and son dinner then I cook myself my tasty Soup.

I think I miss chewing and am going to take advantage of enjoying the taste of food instead of just shoveling the food down my throat.

Still having a bit of diarrhea but with all liquid, what can you expect.

You don't have to eat just liquids forever. You'll be onto more regular food soon. The liquids are so your body can heal. My doctor cautioned against solid food too soon because there's a possibility it could dislodge the band if you're not healed enough.

The first week was hard but give it some time you will be loving your band..............The first week is a killer for many reasons but it gets better and better and better~~ No regrets