Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Need Lap Band Buddy / Mentor I sooooo need some help and motivation!

I had the lapband done 2 years ago. I had success for the first 6 months, dropping almost 50 pounds. I didn't realize the problems associated with and things that could affect the band.

I started waking up with Fluid coming up and coughing and choking, as well as the heartburn. After putting up with this for a while and getting no relief, I went to my doctor. At first they gave me pills to relieve severe heartburn, stating I had some sort of gastro itis (???) problem. With still no relief, I went back and they took some fluid out, stating that the change in weather can affect the band. I had immediate relief. I went back 2 weeks later and had the fluid put back in. Within a couple of weeks, the same thing started all over again.

This was the beginning of a long battle. Over the course of the next year and a half, it was take some fluid out; put some back in; take it all out; put some back in a couple of times; take a little out; take it all out.....I just couldn't get back to that perfect "sweet spot" I'd had before after my initial 3rd fill. I ended up stretching the pouch (a couple of times) and after the "in and out fill" rollercoaster, I had a revision surgery where they took out the old band and put in a new one. So I've essentially started over.

That was 3 months ago and I'm scared to death to go get a fill now, for fear I will screw it up and stretch the pouch! But yet, I'm gaining weight and am desperately looking for help!

Can anyone help me? I feel like such a failure.:thumbup:

hi! not sure i can help but i can empathize as i'm the same boat! banded 6/08, lost 40 lbs and then after 6 months stopped cold. i was a bit overfilled, got acid reflux, had some Fluid out, on and on and more problems. i haven't had to have my band changed or anything but 51 weeks after the band - i had gallstones that were not there before the band and had to have gallbladder surgery - same surgeon 1 year minus 1 week to the day of my banding!

anyway, sorry you are struggling. you are not alone if that helps! i stayed off this site for a long while because the success stories were actually depressing me!

at my peak, i had 7+ cc's in my band and now i have 5.5 and can't seem to get up there again. just had a small unfill today due to vomiting - i have no idea why because i eat slowly, chew chew chew, stop when i'm full. it's frustrating.

ah, well, good luck to you and to me and i hope we both find a way to make his work for us!

Thanks, greyhoundmom! It really does help to know that I'm not alone with the problems and struggles I've had!

I joined my local Jazzercise class and went tonight for the first time! It felt great! I'm going to take it one day at a time -- go to classes at least 3 times a week, and maybe four and once I get on the exercise habit high, I may get the guts to go in and get a fill.

Oh and btw -- I love that you love the grey hounds --personally I've never had one, always thought they were great looking dogs, though! We have a "basset brigade" -- we have 5 bassets (a mom, 3 of her babies that are 2-1/2 years old, and a stray a neighbor brought over), plus a couple of mutts! Luckily we have a VERY large yard!!!